re: .

Posted on 4/28/21 at 10:04 am to
Posted by cgrand
HAMMOND
Member since Oct 2009
38751 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 10:04 am to
quote:

Definitely have them install a plumbing manifold so you can turn off water to a specific zone of your house if you ever have a problem or need to replace something. That way you can have water in the other areas while work progresses.

best advice in this thread
Posted by MikeBRLA
Baton Rouge
Member since Jun 2005
16456 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 10:27 am to
quote:

Double oven

This. My last house had a single but my current one has a double. I don’t know how I functioned with only one in the past.
Posted by CAT
Central Arkansas
Member since Aug 2006
7079 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 10:43 am to
Tornado safe room (in Arkansas)
Electric run to shed (where shed would eventually be)
Larger parking pad (gravel drive to home)
More outside electric outlets
Posted by bluedragon
Birmingham
Member since May 2020
6474 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 11:17 am to
Standing inside the Home of David Wells (Pitcher for the NY Yankees) Caretaker managing the renovation for the buyer (VP of Asia HSN)

asks ....

"Where would the room with all of the arcade games be located?"

"Where we are standing right now."

"Really? How can you tell?"

"No ne mounts electric outlets 3 feet on center around the entire perimeter of a room."

Then he asks

"Where was the pool table located?"

Three steps up in the full sized bar ...

"Right here. You thump your head on the lamp that was over the table. You want to take my job and let me take over as manager?"

16,575 sq ft under roof....damn pool rivaled most water parks.

Posted by 3nOut
Central Texas, TX
Member since Jan 2013
28877 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 12:17 pm to
just got done with a whole home remodel. i was a bit more limited in my custom options from a new build, here's things i'd change/glad we did

-network drops in every room
-no less than 2 plugs on every wall
-don't be afraid of a high outlet for TVs
-put AC mini splits in every bedroom (sounds crazy but if i had a new build i'd still do it)
-as few walls as possible
-8 foot fences
-soft close cabinets and drawers
-tankless water heater
-giant kitchen island
-don't waste space on a master dining room unless you're having big dinners all the time. it's such a waste for 360 days a year
-outdoor power on every exterior wall, if you're doing a TV, do it high so you don't have crappy extension cords.
-water manifolds so you can turn off water to different sections of the house.
Posted by DieselTiger1
9 Dragon
Member since Oct 2008
13672 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 2:30 pm to
More outdoor outlets
Posted by AlxTgr
Kyre Banorg
Member since Oct 2003
81620 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 2:36 pm to
Gas to kitchen
Larger under roof portion of patio
Walk in shower with no glass!
Wider driveway(mine really can't be done)
Posted by SWLA92
SWLA
Member since Feb 2015
1838 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 2:52 pm to
How big is yours right now and how much bigger would you go?
Posted by JoseVargasTX
Heath, TX
Member since Sep 2011
719 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 2:58 pm to
This is my home we finished 19 months ago.

Great fun building this place.

There are some features here I highly recommend so just ask away.

LINK /
Posted by notsince98
KC, MO
Member since Oct 2012
17979 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 3:20 pm to
quote:

Ummm.....that's a upgrade? I'm not knocking but in the construction business, if you see this being put in with any delay in sheetrock being hung, you might change your mind.

Of course it is an upgrade over fiberglass batt. You get better R-value, better noise reduction (better than everything other than maybe rockwool), and better infiltration reduction than everything but spray foam. It is about as good as you can get w/out forcing yourself into more complicated HVAC requirements like HRV/ERVs with forced outside air change requirements.

SIPs are a nice upgrade too.
This post was edited on 4/28/21 at 3:22 pm
Posted by slapahoe
USA
Member since Sep 2009
7442 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 4:17 pm to
14'x30'

Would like it to be 8-10' wider
Posted by Neauxla
New Orleans
Member since Feb 2008
33443 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 4:18 pm to
quote:

This is my home we finished 19 months ago.

Great fun building this place.

There are some features here I highly recommend so just ask away.

what did that cost to build?
Posted by Neauxla
New Orleans
Member since Feb 2008
33443 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 4:21 pm to
quote:

14'x30'

Would like it to be 8-10' wider

Mine is 12' x 24'. I agree. Something along the lines of 20x30 would be better. Something comparable to a big living room (which it is basically a big living room outside)
Posted by killinme_smalls
Baton Rouge
Member since Jul 2005
441 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 6:14 pm to
Insulation in rafters which requires attic ventilation plan. Still spray 6” cellulose in ceiling joist. Upsize your AC to add a couple drops in Attis as well as small return air. Keeps attic at about 82 in summer and makes living area a ton easier to cool and heat. Also no issues with plumbing in cold weather.

Outlets in soffit and anywhere you even think May ever need one. Door light switches on all closets, pantry, half bath.

Porches minimum 10’ deep but bigger the better

Parking area, garage, shop is never big enough.

Cat 5, coax, and outlets above built ins in living room for network and cable modem. Hidden behind crown and out of way.

Freezer, beer fridge, ice maker, lockers, and island for folding clothes in laundry room

My next house will have a cinder block room as a safe area, gun vault, etc that can draw outside air if need be.

Posted by skidry
Member since Jul 2009
3261 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 6:49 pm to
quote:

Drops for Cat-6, coax in every room

Just moved into a new house. Wife wants all the TVs hung on the wall. Now I have to run power and coax from the standard height near the floor. If I had it to do over I would spend 10 minutes thinking of my bedroom layouts and drop the coax and power outlets for my TVs up high so they are behind the TVs.
Posted by JoseVargasTX
Heath, TX
Member since Sep 2011
719 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 7:24 pm to
quote:

what did that cost to build?

We have 2.5 acres that backs up to flood plane that will never be built on so with the lot, pool, 5705 heated and cooled, 7800 under roof, landscaping, entire lot fenced, sprinkled, etc... all in $1.5 million.

I could sell tomorrow for $2.3, maybe more.

This housing market is insane.
Posted by Huey Lewis
BR
Member since Oct 2013
4652 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 7:54 pm to
My old house had attic access in the garage. Current house attic access is in a hallway.

It may be minor but it bugs me now having an attic hatch inside the house.
Posted by CatfishJohn
Member since Jun 2020
13394 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 8:17 pm to
quote:

Just moved into a new house. Wife wants all the TVs hung on the wall. Now I have to run power and coax from the standard height near the floor. If I had it to do over I would spend 10 minutes thinking of my bedroom layouts and drop the coax and power outlets for my TVs up high so they are behind the TVs.

Our house had this from previous owner. A couple rooms we don’t want TVs (kids) and just hung pictures over it. So I’d say there is low risk even if layout changes.

Great idea though, I loved this in the 3 rooms with televisions.
Posted by ihometiger
Member since Dec 2013
12475 posts
Posted on 4/28/21 at 10:42 pm to
Buy the Anderson windows throughout the house and pay the extra money for the Viking appliances.
Posted by Tridentds
Sugar Land
Member since Aug 2011
20373 posts
Posted on 4/29/21 at 6:24 am to
Instead of what would I change I will tell you what we did that worked out great.

I hunt and fish a lot. When we built our house I put in hot and cold water hose bibs outside the garage. It has been awesome. Whether washing off muddy equipment, blood off the tailgate, washing the car, boat or dog, it is simply the shite.

One of my friends made a recommendation that just before we sheet rocked the inside we pour some boric acid in the exterior walls and in all the walls of the kitchen and bathrooms. Just pour it on top of the floor plates and sheetrock over it. Spent $35 to $40 on boric acid and it was probably the best money we put in the house. Never had any kind of bug issues inside... ever. Once or twice a year we might find a dead roach or something and we have never had an exterminator at our house in 12 years. I spray exterior of the house with a few different things but never spray inside the house.

Contractors recommended I deck the attic over the garage. I did it and have never regretted it. Our second floor has door access right over our 3 car garage.

Contractor recommended commercial grade attic pull down doors. Have one upstairs going to the upper attic and one in the garage going up to the space that is decked. Both are wide and are rated for 300 pounds. Was a good move. Can carry full sacks of decoys, etc.. up the ladder without a problem.

Except for decking over the garage the other 3 things I did were relatively inexpensive.

first pageprev pagePage 2 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram