Started By
re: .

Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:03 pm to
Posted by Lsupimp
Ersatz Amerika-97.6% phony & fake
Member since Nov 2003
78964 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:03 pm to
This is honestly the ONE area of Republican political vulnerability that amazes me has not yet been addressed. If Dems weren’t racistsexisthomophobe frauds, they could gain traction with that. But TDS doesn’t allow for substance any more so....
Posted by Godfather1
What WAS St George, Louisiana
Member since Oct 2006
79881 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:09 pm to
quote:

Think of your homeowner's policy...there are several "pre-existing" conditions that are excluded from your policy. Otherwise, people would simply buy insurance after their house burns down...and you policy has a maximum ceiling that it would pay you if your house blew up..

The simple but more classic example is car insurance.

I go out and total my Corvette while uninsured. The next day, I go buy a policy from Allstate and file a claim demanding that they buy me a new Corvette.

It’s insane.
Posted by Zach
Gizmonic Institute
Member since May 2005
112601 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:21 pm to
quote:

Let's take a harder example. A person has tons of health problems growing up while on parents' insurance plan. Comes of age and has to get own coverage. Insurer says their coverage will be 5 times the average, making it impossible to afford. Should there be a provision for that situation or is that person just SOL?

SOL. It is not my responsibility to pay for the problems of another. It is not your responsibility to pay for mine. Medicare did not always exist. People lived their lives. Charity intervened. Family intervened. Or no one did. The state intervening is theft and it is the natural course of govt.
Posted by bayouvette
Raceland
Member since Oct 2005
4764 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:25 pm to
Health care is a major issue as well as immigration. However since trump is pres and dems are fighting for positions its all talk and nothing is actually getting done.

Same shite different day
Posted by Jjdoc
Cali
Member since Mar 2016
53502 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:27 pm to
quote:

quote:
I distinctly remember Republicans railing against pre-existing conditions coverage in Obamacare.

They have flip flopped

No... what they railed against was lumping those with pre existing conditions into the healthy pool for coverage. Big huge difference
Posted by Diseasefreeforall
Member since Oct 2012
5567 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:34 pm to
quote:

SOL. It is not my responsibility to pay for the problems of another. It is not your responsibility to pay for mine. Medicare did not always exist. People lived their lives. Charity intervened. Family intervened. Or no one did. The state intervening is theft and it is the natural course of govt.

So no one in your family depends on Medicare? No parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles that would go bankrupt having to pay exorbitant healthcare costs older people tend to require? You just might get old someday too.
Posted by Zach
Gizmonic Institute
Member since May 2005
112601 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:38 pm to
quote:

So no one in your family depends on Medicare? No parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles that would go bankrupt having to pay exorbitant healthcare costs older people tend to require? You just might get old someday too.

I was born into extreme poverty. I worked hard and made good life decisions so that I could afford insurance for me and my family. I will not 'get old someday'. I'm already there.
Posted by Boatshoes
Member since Dec 2017
6775 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 1:43 pm to
Pre-existing conditions weren't the primary cause of premium hikes in Obamacare. Keep in mind that 90% of the 'newly insured' on Obamacare were people who went on Medicaid with a small fraction of that being people who replaced outlawed plans with ones from the market.

Medicaid already covers preexisting conditions.

The key is to design a system that covers preexisting conditions so that sick people don't lose coverage when the lose their jobs and cobra runs out while simultaneously discouraging rent seeking.

Easy to do.
Posted by Cruiserhog
Little Rock
Member since Apr 2008
10460 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:08 pm to
quote:

So, like, what's the plan moving forward?
Are they for real or campaign rhetoric?

you answered you own question with a question.

Its laughable Republicans are campaigning they are now for protection for PeC when its demonstrably false, McSally in AZ whose tv ads say she is for PeC's voted to repeal the ACA is just one example.

and then whats even more pathetic from the party of bullshite is that they try to say their plans of letting states move people to high risk pools was actually protecting PeC

Posted by SSpaniel
Germantown
Member since Feb 2013
29658 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:10 pm to
quote:

its demonstrably false, McSally in AZ whose tv ads say she is for PeC's voted to repeal the ACA is just one example.

So the ONLY way to protect PEC's is to keep the ACA? That's the ONLY way, huh? Gotcha.

quote:

they try to say their plans of letting states move people to high risk pools was actually protecting PeC

Doesn't it, though? Still allows those with PEC's to get insurance coverage, does it not?
Posted by TIGA 80
Larose
Member since Oct 2005
579 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:27 pm to
Insurance is something you buy before the fact.

Covering Pre-existing conditions dosent meet the definition of insurance.

Some homes are in flood zones and need government subsidized flood ins. Health ins. along with pre-existing coverage should be handled in a similar fashion. High risk pool coverage subsidized by the government but you have to have basic health coverage to get the pre existing cov.

Both Home and Flood and health and pre existing coverages should though be handled by the main carrier. dont put the insured in the middle of the fight as to who should pay. let the adjusters fight it out.
Posted by McChowder
Hammond
Member since Dec 2006
5253 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:29 pm to
quote:

Where do Republicans actually stand on pre-existing conditions?

Personally any so-called "insurance" plan that covers pre existing conditions isnt technically insurance by definition.

I would have no problem with additional programs that include pre existing conditions outside of insurance if it is run, operated and funded at the state level.
Posted by RogerTheShrubber
Juneau, AK
Member since Jan 2009
261538 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:29 pm to
Simply changing insurance laws would go a hell of a long way to fixing health coverage

Government regulations are the culprit.
Posted by mahdragonz
Member since Jun 2013
6946 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:33 pm to
Obamacare will never go away for the same reason abortion will never go away.

Too many conservatives benefit from it.

I know it might disappoint the poli board but things like leukemia and heart defects don't only happen to liberals.

Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:34 pm to
quote:

Where do Republicans actually stand on pre-existing conditions?

I can't speak for Republicans, but speaking for me, covering pre-existing conditions isn't insurance and, there's no sense in calling it that.

It's welfare. Pure and simple. Now, if we're going to cover it, that's one thing. But we should at least start by referring to it correctly.
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:35 pm to
quote:

No... what they railed against was lumping those with pre existing conditions into the healthy pool for coverage. Big huge difference

Exactly.

Forcing an insurance company to cover them and then price the POOL accordingly is nothing but basically using the insurance system to cover for the fact that the govt just passed a welfare program and got us to fund it indirectly.

Posted by texridder
The Woodlands, TX
Member since Oct 2017
14231 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:36 pm to
quote:

I distinctly remember Republicans railing against pre-existing conditions coverage in Obamacare.
They have flip flopped

Absolute horseshite.

In a P.R. move, Republicans sponsored legislation that would guarantee pre-existing condition coverage, but that allowed the insurance company is charge whatever premium they wanted for that coverage.

Now Republicans are claiming (see Ted Cruz) that they backed/voted for a proposed a bill that would protect pre-existing conditions.

Republicans campaigning on protecting pre-existing conditions is a fraud on the public.

[The issue here is fraudulent campaigning, not the premiums charged to cover pre-existing conditions.]
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:37 pm to
quote:

The issue here is fraudulent campaigning
Why do you say this? You don't oppose fraudulent campaigning in the slightest.
Posted by Diamondawg
Mississippi
Member since Oct 2006
32348 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:38 pm to
The only problem I have with pre existing conditions is when someone chooses not carry insurance until, say there is an accident and then they decide to get insurance. There should an exclusion in that situation. I am fine with moving about different carriers and a PE not being excluded.
Posted by BamaAtl
South of North
Member since Dec 2009
21938 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 2:39 pm to
quote:

So, like, what's the plan moving forward?

Republicans have no plan.

quote:

Are they for real or campaign rhetoric?

Obviously just campaign rhetoric.

quote:

How can you bash obamacare for increasing premiums and then support the very provision that increases premiums?

It's not supposed to be a logically consistent position, it's supposed to placate idiots who don't bother to check into the lie.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 6Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram