Started By
re: .

Posted on 11/2/18 at 4:30 pm to
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
quote:

1. Its not the definition of insurance to force companies to cover known expense. If congress supports caring for the sick, just charge the treasury.

Correct.

quote:

2. Big questions. What about your Neighbors?
What do you mean?

As for partnership with Jesus
This post was edited on 11/2/18 at 4:31 pm
Posted by Jake88
Member since Apr 2005
68425 posts
Personally against pre-existing conditions, but I would be wiling to compromise. You can get covered for pre-existing conditions if you had health insurance for at least 2 of the previous 5 years.
Posted by TeLeFaWx
Dallas, TX
Member since Aug 2011
29179 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 5:03 pm to
Republicans, and many of their supporters are in a bind because the arguments aren't even solid. US healthcare isn't a market system, yet many conservatives are arguing for market solutions.

It's a giant mess, and the Republicans need to design a new system. I say go for the Swiss model.
Posted by Rock the Casbah
Member since Dec 2014
940 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 5:20 pm to
Republicans think covering pre-existing conditions is charity paid through insurance companies.

They have also conceded defeat on the issue so it is no longer a wedge.
Posted by WillieNelsonsDoobie
Bogata
Member since May 2014
1427 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 5:25 pm to
quote:

quote: They have flip flopped No, they have evolved Am I doing it right?

As of October 28, 2018
Posted by texridder
The Woodlands, TX
Member since Oct 2017
14231 posts
Posted on 11/2/18 at 8:45 pm to
quote:

You don't oppose fraudulent campaigning in the slightest.

Another brainless post.

Is this straight out fraudulent campaigning? Yes or no.

Do you ever give a straight answer?
Posted by Wes Tweegan
Westwego, LA United States
Member since Oct 2015
69 posts
Posted on 11/3/18 at 11:31 pm to
The idea that you can just go out and buy insurance "when you need it" illustrates a serious misunderstanding of how the Affordable Care Act actually works. With very few exceptions (and sickness and injury aren't one of them), you can only buy health insurance thru the ACA Marketplace one time a year...between Nov 1st and Dec 15th. So, if you're diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer on February 1st, and you think you can just delay treatment until you get coverage, you're not only wrong...but dead wrong. In one year (almost to the day), since my diagnosis, my insurance carrier has been billed approximately $550,000 for my cancer surgery and treatments. I've paid roughly $13000 of that... in addition to about $23000 in monthly premiums...and the rest was either paid by BCBS and/or discounted via contractual max billing. The point being is that all it takes is one significant illness to bankrupt someone who thought it was a good idea to forego coverage "until they needed it". Some health issues can be successfully delayed until coverage is obtained...but the more serious ones cannot. Do you really want to take that chance?
Posted by IceTiger
Really hot place
Member since Oct 2007
26584 posts
Posted on 11/4/18 at 1:28 am to
quote:

However, we all know that Obamacare was nearly killed and is currently being dismantled anyway.

Good, let states deal with it...
Before insurance companies took on the mantle many states had sound infrastructure to provide medical assistance for citizens...

This post was edited on 11/4/18 at 1:29 am
Posted by germandawg
Member since Sep 2012
14135 posts
Posted on 11/4/18 at 7:03 am to
You know I get to thinking the right has some sense and then this issue pops up again.

Pre existing conditions are covered in the US...they have been FOR YEARS..,...since at least the 1970 s. I thought y’all knew from birth there ain’t no free lunch? Yet here y’all are conversation going about who is going to pay for pre existing conditions...as if it is open for debate. It’s like asking who is going to pay for shoplifting at WalMart....EERYBODY knows that WalMart SHOPPERS pay for shoplifting.....but somehow y’all seem to think this does not apply to healthcare....it is truly astonishing that so many people, many very successful and obviously not stupid...can be so out of touch with reality on this issue.

I will attempt to explain, once again, something that all of you already know but refuse to accept. IF you pay for your own healthcare costs yourself you are also paying the costs for those who can’t or won’t pay....it’s really just that simple.....it is exactly the same thing as someone walk8ng out of Walmart with a pair of rustler jeans they either can’t or won’t pay for....everybody who DOES pay for rustler jeans makes up the loss....WalMart ain’t making it up out of their end....and neither are healthcare providers.

The difference is that healthcare providers are expected to provide without regard to ability to pay....when they don’t and are exposed they are vilified.....most will provide with no regard to ability to pay because they are healers...it’s what 5hey do....if you doubt this please, for the love of god, explain the HUGE medical debt collection industry.

So....a person has a pre existing condition...let’s say diabetes......they lose their health care for whatever reason.....and can’t or won’t afford a new policy that will cover their condition. In the GOP world, what happens? Because in the real world what happens is that person usually becomes a burden on the paying medical consumer ANYWAY.....they get treatment, they get discounted medication...and those of us who pay our bills are subsidizing that pair of rustler jeans. There ain’t no free lunch.....

So how do you prevent providers from forcing paying customers to subsidize the non paying customer? The most efficient way is to eliminate the number of non paying customers.....and there are a couple of ways to do this....offer them medical insurance they can afford, which will still be subsidized but to a smaller degree....or let them die as their choice has consequences. I know y’all like the latter idea and I feel you....the problem is that as a society we don’t have the stomachs for it...and providers particularly don’t have the stomach for it.....
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57379 posts
Posted on 11/4/18 at 8:05 am to
quote:

Republicans, and many of their supporters are in a bind because the arguments aren't even solid. US healthcare isn't a market system, yet many conservatives are arguing for market solutions.
Just think if this argument was used for slavery. “Slaves aren’t free. We should come up with a new way to enslave them”.
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57379 posts
Posted on 11/4/18 at 8:05 am to
quote:

Republicans think covering pre-existing conditions is charity paid through insurance companies.
Actions made under threat are NEVER charity.
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57379 posts
Posted on 11/4/18 at 8:07 am to
quote:

you can only buy health insurance thru the ACA Marketplace one time a year...between Nov 1st and Dec 15th. So, if you're diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer on February 1st, and you think you can just delay treatment until you get coverage, you're not only wrong...but dead wrong.
Nope. The fact that you can buy insurance against known conditions in the next open enrollment period is the problem. The timing isn’t relevant.
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57379 posts
Posted on 11/4/18 at 8:08 am to
quote:

EERYBODY knows that WalMart SHOPPERS pay for shoplifting.....but somehow y’all seem to think this does not apply to healthcare..
People know this. And they know the ACA helps people shoplift healthcare from healthier and younger “shoppers”.

It’s hilarious to me when proponents tell us the ACA is needed because here are too many free riders...when the ACA drastically made free riding easier than ever before. It made it mandatory for many uninsurable people.
This post was edited on 11/4/18 at 8:10 am
Posted by CelticDog
Member since Apr 2015
42867 posts
Posted on 11/4/18 at 8:14 am to
quote:

How can you bash obamacare for increasing premiums and then support the very provision that increases premiums?

gop was getting killed on that issue.
What's new
Offering low cost plans with fewer coverages.

This post was edited on 11/4/18 at 8:16 am
Posted by TeLeFaWx
Dallas, TX
Member since Aug 2011
29179 posts
Posted on 11/5/18 at 12:50 pm to
quote:

Just think if this argument was used for slavery. “Slaves aren’t free. We should come up with a new way to enslave them”.

Incredible false equivalency. Teddy Roosevelt saved capitalism in the United States by trust busting and things like the Pure Food and Drug Act. If you don't get that, you're missing the forest through the trees. I'm advocating for the same in health care. US citizens have voting power, and a rise to populism is inevitable when corporatism rears its ugly head.

Advocating for the Swiss model, which is not a pure free market system, but has far more market forces at work than what we currently have, isn't the same as advocating for socialized medicine. Far from it.
Posted by Rock the Casbah
Member since Dec 2014
940 posts
Posted on 11/5/18 at 12:57 pm to
quote:

Actions made under threat are NEVER charity.

The intent of the rule is charity, but you are correct - it’s a tax.
first pageprev pagePage 6 of 6Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram