re: .

Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:15 am to
Posted by Homesick Tiger
Greenbrier, AR
Member since Nov 2006
54215 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:15 am to
quote:

If you were Democrat or Independent your vote really doesn't matter in LA since you lack the numbers to win a state wide popular vote.

Disagree. Arkansas was all blue before Clinton, during Clinton and after Clinton but us Reps kept hanging in there. Since 2012 it has all been Red. If we would have stayed home over the years and got demoralized as a voting bloc, we'd still be blue. For a specific election you are correct but for me politics is about the long haul.
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:16 am to
quote:

The reason the Electoral College doesnt suck is that it keeps the top 20 urban areas frim selecting our President each election. You argue that swing states get all the attention but think how bad it would be if the only places that mattered were NYC, Chic, LA, SF, Hou, Atl, Philly, Mia, and Boston...

And the opposing argument is that the places where more Americans live should help decide elections because that’s where more Americans have decided to live, work, and raise families.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 11:17 am
Posted by sms151t
Polos, Porsches, Ponies..PROBATION
Member since Aug 2009
139850 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:18 am to
The only change I would want in the Electoral College is that all states split their EC vote based on what each House District voted and the 2 votes that represents the senators vote be majority of the state.

If that happens we don't allow the big major metros determining our President based on just popular vote and everyone can say hey we had a say in it.
Posted by Antonio Moss
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2006
48327 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:20 am to
quote:

It's not opinion, it's fact. Voter turnout is higher in swing states.

You think that's coincidental or people are staying home?

Voter turnout is not equivalent to “a vote not counting.”

In every Presidential election, every person has the ability to vote for their Representative, and 1/3 will vote for their Senator. There is also a laundry list of local elections. People who fail to vote in non-swing states are clearly displaying an apathy for government outside of the President. We really don’t want these people voting anyway.
Posted by BugAC
St. George
Member since Oct 2007
52819 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:21 am to
quote:

I'm assuming you're Republican, but let's look at it objectively. If you were Democrat or Independent your vote really doesn't matter in LA since you lack the numbers to win a state wide popular vote.

How does that change with a popular vote model?
Posted by Homesick Tiger
Greenbrier, AR
Member since Nov 2006
54215 posts
quote:

And the opposing argument is that the places where more Americans live should help decide elections because that’s where more Americans have decided to live, work, and raise families.

So you're saying the New Orleans school system should have sayso on how the Winnsboro school system is run because New Orleans knows more about school systems because of their population?
Posted by volod
Leesville, LA
Member since Jun 2014
5392 posts
quote:

If you are are a red voter in a blue state... what the frick? You like high taxes, corruption, complicity with mob violence, illegals with more rights than you, and poop and needles in the streets? Get the frick out of there

There are several benefits as well.

Taxes pay for a better quality schools and infrastructure. Legacy family corruption happens in urban and rural areas, blue states typically are better at attracting new businesses to their state which keep people and their tax dollars there.

I cant stress the importance of economics enough when talking about densely populated areas. I know you think the entire country can run off of small rural towns but that isnt reality. And yes city people live in bubbles too.
Posted by DaTruth225
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2015
307 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:23 am to
There is no evidence that switching to a popular vote would increase voter participation.
Anyone who claims that people stay at home because they believe their vote doesn't count because they're in a blue state or red state is being lied to.

If people really felt that way, why is participation lower in mid-term elections? Senators and Representatives are elected by the popular vote.

People don't vote because they don't care.
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57317 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:25 am to
quote:

I’m not ignorant of the reasons and the debate surrounding the system at the time of our founding.
Ok. So for like the sixth time... explain why concentrafed influence is a good thing.

quote:

I am merely keeping that debate alive, much as the founders also intended. That’s why they gave use the power to change things like the electoral college!
Nope. The Founding fathers made awesome debates based on ge merits of various ideas. You have consistently dodged any argument of merit other than “I has a sad. Oh muh feels!” Hat is NOT how the Founding Fathers debated.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 11:28 am
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:28 am to
quote:

Voter turnout is not equivalent to “a vote not counting.”

It’s equivalent to people thinking their votes doesn’t count and therefore not showing up. It’s not coincidence bro
Posted by Smart Post
Member since Feb 2018
3539 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:31 am to
Your flawed reasoning for getting rid of the Electoral College actually buttresses the thinking behind two senators per state.

I suggest you review the latest liberal talking points, then get back to us.
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:32 am to
quote:

Part of the reason for the electoral college was because the founding fathers feared direct election of a tyrant. Faithless electors have actually affected the outcome before FYI

Because this is VERY easy with pure majorities. It's like you can "see" but you still don't "understand"
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:32 am to
quote:

Nope. The Founding fathers made awesome debates based on ge merits of various ideas. You have consistently dodged any argument of merit other than “I has a sad. Oh muh feels!” Hat is NOT how the Founding Fathers debated.

Lol I have made my case several times that flyover states get undeserved attention. See the coal industry, steel tariffs, USDA subsidies, ethanol in gas. There are so many issues that would not be issues under a different system.

You think almost every gas station in America would have ethanol in the gas absent the existence of the electoral colllege?

frick no
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 11:34 am
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:33 am to
quote:

I’m not ignorant of the reasons and the debate surrounding the system at the time of our founding. I am merely keeping that debate alive, much as the founders also intended
The founders understood that a large nation with HIGHLY disparate populations could not remain united as an actual nation without the EC.

You fricking leftist tards are just too dumb to get it because frankly, you WANT to be totalitarian.
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:34 am to
quote:

And the opposing argument is that the places where more Americans live should help decide elections
They do help decided them you tard. It's not like the EC is split equally.

Sheesh. You have an understanding of this on par with a 3rd grader.
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:35 am to
quote:

The founders understood that a large nation with HIGHLY disparate populations could not remain united as an actual nation without the EC.

You fricking leftist tards are just too dumb to get it because frankly, you WANT to be totalitarian.

Enjoy the fricking ethanol in your boat engine. And the subsidized grains in every grocery store. And the tariffs on steel.

Sounds like you love a totalitarian government!
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57317 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:37 am to
quote:

It’s equivalent to people thinking their votes doesn’t count and therefore not showing up.
If they don’t care enough to vote, why should we care whether they vote or not?

You’re asking for civic responsibility by proxy. Silly.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 11:38 am
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:38 am to
quote:

Lol I have made my case several times that flyover states get undeserved attention.
What the frick does this even mean?

Frankly, you don't want a United States. That's the bottom line. You talk about the places you don't like as if they aren't even part of the nation..............which...........coincidentally, they wouldn't be if you had your way.

The nation would dissolve quite quickly actually.
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:38 am to
quote:

The founders were not united in that belief no matter how many times you say it. The smaller states got some compromises at the convention. It was a debate and I’m continuing the debate
Posted by FooManChoo
Member since Dec 2012
41703 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 11:39 am to
quote:

It’s equivalent to people thinking their votes doesn’t count and therefore not showing up. It’s not coincidence bro
No, it's not.

When you equate voter turnout to systematic voter suppression (people feeling like their vote doesn't count), you are discounting the many reasons why people are not voting. Some don't vote because they think their vote doesn't matter, yes, but others don't vote because they forgot to vote, or because they didn't care enough to vote, or because they were protesting, or because they didn't get their ballots, or because they didn't register, or because they are ineligible to vote, etc. There are many reasons why people don't vote that don't involve feeling screwed by the current system.

Not only that, but even if 100% of the people who didn't claim that it's because they felt like their vote didn't count, what you're talking about is a subjective perception, not an objective reality.

Everyone's vote counts the same within their state where their state's electors are chosen to vote for the President. That is an objective fact based on the current system. If a person feels like their vote doesn't matter because they are a minority in their state, that is different than their vote not counting.

Typical leftist emotional nonsense.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 11:41 am
Jump to page
Page First 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 7 of 17Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram