re: .

Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:35 pm to
Posted by Antonio Moss
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2006
48296 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:35 pm to
quote:

The problem is that you “fundamentally” do not understand what I am saying.

I completely understand what you are saying; it’s just wrong.

quote:

I know that the small states went to the constitutional convention and cried that they wouldn’t have any power in federal elections. So they got the EC. I get it.

You are mixing up the discussions about the legislative branch with the EC. The EC combines both ideas of great compromise and the power of the subunits over the federal government.
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57120 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:36 pm to
quote:

Seriously...why should the citizens in the blue areas above dictate policy to the rest of us?

To cure concentrated power.
Posted by Antonio Moss
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2006
48296 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:37 pm to
quote:

The reason for the EC is to keep the POTUS office from being popularly decided. It has little to do with state power.

Some of you people need to pick up a History book
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57120 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:38 pm to
quote:

I’m talking about redrawing the entire electoral college, not based on state lines at all. Based on county.
Muh anti-federalism!
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57120 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:39 pm to
quote:

As I said before the electoral college doesn’t benefit rural voters. It benefits rural voters in certain states with low populations. It does nothing for small town folks in Texas or New York.
Posted by cuyahoga tiger
NE Ohio via Tangipahoa
Member since Nov 2011
5831 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:39 pm to
had the conversation today on the links with a liberal friend of mine....this issue and others, like the power of the senate to block legislation or advance,....he is ok with CA and New England decided policy for heartland America or about 75% of the counties.
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57120 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:41 pm to
quote:

Thanks for reminding me. I don’t normally downvote but when I do it’s for really stupid shite. 235 now.

Wonder how he feels about the popular vote now?
Posted by jjgeaux
BR Metro
Member since Oct 2018
74 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:41 pm to
quote:

Why would you live in a blue state

Because they probably think their water and air are only clean within their borders.
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57120 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:46 pm to
quote:

My contention is that the EC does more harm than good by putting a laser focus on certain areas during national elections.
Your contention is does not match data. No intelligent politician would neglect populated centers for rural centers. That would be ... idiotic political suicide.

quote:

It alienates a lot of Americans, including rural and urban folks who don’t live in a handful of areas
The electoral system was never created to satisfy muh feels.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 5:46 pm
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57120 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:47 pm to
quote:

liberal ....he is ok with CA and New England decided policy for heartland America or about 75% of the counties.
Tyranny is awesome when you’re on the side in power!
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 6:26 pm to
quote:

had the conversation today on the links with a liberal friend of mine....this issue and others, like the power of the senate to block legislation or advance,....he is ok with CA and New England decided policy for heartland America or about 75% of the counties.

How many times do I have to explain that the majority of the “heartland” does not benefit from the EC? The only places that benefit are small states. Not the entire heartland. A fraction of it. A small percentage.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 6:27 pm
Jump to page
Page First 15 16 17
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 17 of 17Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram