quote:

The main reason why the electoral college sucks
is that you did not get what you want
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:41 pm to
quote:

That "amount of land" is called state territory.

Do you want to remove states entirely and be ruled solely by a single, federal government?

No, that’s what local and state governments are for! To control the local policy. And you even get to elect reps to the national level!

When it comes to the President, there is no reason to intentionally create a system that biases the election and therefore national policy towards small states.
Posted by roadGator
Member since Feb 2009
140994 posts
I'll ask again. Have you changed any minds yet?

Also, did shareblue send out the talking points about the ec.
Posted by BugAC
St. George
Member since Oct 2007
52951 posts
quote:

is that you did not get what you want

That is the summation of all of cahoots' posts.
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57440 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:42 pm to
quote:

If every vote counts the same, everyone has the same power.
So are you for repealnig the senate, and only having the HofR?
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57440 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:43 pm to

quote:

No, that’s what local and state governments are for!
Muh Federalism!
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:45 pm to
quote:

Muh Federalism!

Which is particularly funny given that he wants the power to overrun federalism.
Posted by FooManChoo
Member since Dec 2012
41824 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:45 pm to
quote:

No, that’s what local and state governments are for! To control the local policy. And you even get to elect reps to the national level!
"And you even get to elect reps to the national level!"

That's the key right there. Each state has a say in how the federal government works. The electoral college is an extension of this framework which allows the states to have a say in what happens on the federal level. What you are proposing is eliminating the voice of the states in the election of the President of the UNITED STATES.

quote:

When it comes to the President, there is no reason to intentionally create a system that biases the election and therefore national policy towards small states.
There is no bias towards small states. It's not a bias but a protection. It prevents the large states from completely bullying the small states, who have economies and resources that are useful to the country as a whole.

I think you said previously that you understand the context behind the EC, but I honestly don't think you really understand why it was important to the founders.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 1:46 pm
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:46 pm to
quote:

The priorities and needs in Manhattan ARE NOT THE SAME as they are in Wyoming. Yet Manhattan would be over-represeted by 14x (strictly by population) in the government.

Which is why Wyoming still gets representation in Congress. However when you start giving small states more power in the presidential election, it completely shifts the focus of the election to a small handful of the country. And that further shifts federal policy (hello corn subsidies!)

I agree that we can’t just let manhattan run everything, but right now, national elections are bananas. It’s just stupid how much power podunk states get. Like I said, Wyoming has almost 4x as many electoral voters per capita as California or Texas. 4 times!
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 1:47 pm
Posted by oleheat
Sportsman's Paradise
Member since Mar 2007
13538 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:46 pm to
Here's big reason why it doesn't: Without it, we would all be under the boot of CA and NY politics and would likely have a perpetual far left President.

Nooooooooooo thanks.
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:47 pm to
quote:

Here's big reason why it doesn't: Without it, we would all be under the boot of CA and NY politics and would likely have a perpetual far left President.

Nooooooooooo thanks.

False. NY and Cali do not decide popular votes in many presidential elections
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57440 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:47 pm to
quote:

Which is particularly funny given that he wants the power to overrun federalism.
Exactly.
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:50 pm to
quote:

Which is why Wyoming still gets representation in Congress. However when you start giving small states more power in the presidential election, it completely shifts the focus of the election to a small handful of the country
Actually, what it does is disperses power to a more varied type of citizen.

Popular vote basically values urban over all else.

But, Wyoming and Bama, while not urban, are remarkably different in needs/desires.

Maine is different than both of them. New Mexico is different than any of those.

But, you liberals are too stupid to see that because you only see urban vs everybody.

Because you aren't intelligent. That's really the only explanation. Or, you're just so whiny about not getting your way, that's the only way you can see it.
Posted by doubleb
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2006
36305 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:51 pm to
Swing states come and go, the EC is permanent. Adjust.
Posted by FooManChoo
Member since Dec 2012
41824 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:53 pm to
quote:

However when you start giving small states more power in the presidential election, it completely shifts the focus of the election to a small handful of the country. And that further shifts federal policy (hello corn subsidies!)

I agree that we can’t just let manhattan run everything, but right now, national elections are bananas. It’s just stupid how much power podunk states get. Like I said, Wyoming has almost 4x as many electoral voters per capita as California or Texas. 4 times!
You keep talking about this voting power thing as if it's true but I don't think you really understand what you're talking about.

Regardless of how much "voting power" individuals in the state of Wyoming have, the state only get 3 votes out of 538. California gets 55 all by itself. People in Wyoming vote so that their state can provide 0.006% of the overall total of votes for President. Seems like you're saying that's unfair that Wyoming gets such a huge and disproportionate say in things.
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57440 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:55 pm to
quote:

Which is why Wyoming still gets representation in Congress
Wait what? If their vote shouldn't "count more" or not? Or just sometiems? You're making no objective sense. USING YOUR LOGIC why shouldn't equal representation in the Senate be ended?
quote:

owever when you start giving small states more power in the presidential election, it completely shifts the focus of the election to a small handful of the country.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I've just shown you that a 22sq.mi. area has 14x more voters than a 147,000sq.mi. Where do you think campaings will focus? On WY (an entire state) or Manhattan (part of a city)? You're literally saying the cure is worse than the disease. It's as curious as it is frustrating.

quote:

And that further shifts federal policy (hello corn subsidies!)
OK. As asked like 100 times... why is underrepresenting rurual areas a good idea?

Oh, and just to put the final nail in this feckle attempt... corn subsidies are passed BY CONGRESS not the president... ie Congressional representation, that has literally NOTHING to do with the Electorial College.

quote:

I agree that we can’t just let manhattan run everything,

quote:

It’s just stupid how much power podunk states get.

quote:

Wyoming has almost 4x as many electoral voters per capita as California or Texas. 4 times!
Nope. AFAIK people in Wyoming are only allowed to vote once. As far as total vote power... that a feature. Not a bug.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 1:59 pm
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57440 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:56 pm to
quote:

False. NY and Cali do not decide popular votes in many presidential elections
it's never too late to read this thread.
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57440 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 1:58 pm to
quote:

People in Wyoming vote so that their state can provide 0.006% of the overall total of votes for President. Seems like you're saying that's unfair that Wyoming gets such a huge and disproportionate say in things.
But it's just not fffffaaaaair.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 2:00 pm
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 2:01 pm to
quote:

Regardless of how much "voting power" individuals in the state of Wyoming have, the state only get 3 votes out of 538. California gets 55 all by itself. People in Wyoming vote so that their state can provide 0.006% of the overall total of votes for President.

0.6%

You need to work on your understanding of percentages

Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 2:03 pm to
quote:

Wait what? If their vote shouldn't "count more" or not? Or just sometiems? You're making no objective sense. USING YOUR LOGIC why shouldn't equal representation in the Senate be ended?

My logic is that they already get unequal representation in Congress, so that should be enough. But noooo, need more power!
Jump to page
Page First 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 13 of 17Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram