Started By
re: ..

Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:42 pm to
Posted by EventHorizon
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Feb 2009
1030 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:42 pm to
CS department will have a bulk of your classic geeks and nerds. Smart, very skilled technically, often socially awkward. ISDS will attract the more personable and social students, ones that may already have a higher level management type job in mind instead of development.

ISDS gives you a better view of what actually happens in businesses at a higher level. CS doesn't do a good job at this but will set you up with all the technical knowledge if you're leaning towards software development. In many cases I felt that it went way too far and most things you learn don't apply to 95% of IT jobs unless you go the academic research route or some niche science heavy route.

Having taken both ISDS and CS classes I will say this, most of the ISDS classes were a piece of cake compared to the CS courses (4000 level).

Go with the one that seems like a better fit because ultimately if you're good and start making some connections during college, you should be golden regardless of whether you went ISDS or CS

Posted by MrSmith
Member since Sep 2009
8311 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:44 pm to
quote:

They are different majors for a reason. It's not apples and apples although there is some crossover. I'm a Solutions Architect (I didn't come up with the job title)/Team Lead. When I'm hiring a web developer vs a Citrix/VMware engineer I'm evaluating completely different skill sets. Neither is better than the other.

Exactly. That's all I was trying to say.
Posted by fallguy_1978
Best States #50
Member since Feb 2018
48466 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:51 pm to
Any of you baws looking for a job can email me at username @yahoo.com. I'll probably make you sign a NDA that you won't disclose my true identity on TD (I changed my username for that shite) but I may hire you. We have openings.
Posted by MrSmith
Member since Sep 2009
8311 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:53 pm to
We're hiring senior engineers in Nola as well but I'm too lazy to make an email for this
Posted by fallguy_1978
Best States #50
Member since Feb 2018
48466 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:56 pm to
quote:

We're hiring senior engineers in Nola as well but I'm too lazy to make an email for this

I've been on TD for almost a decade but it looks like a week. Whatever. anonymoususernameftw
This post was edited on 2/19/18 at 10:58 pm
Posted by Brosef Stalin
Member since Dec 2011
39183 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 11:45 pm to
What kind of jobs?
Posted by foshizzle
Washington DC metro
Member since Mar 2008
40599 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 5:02 am to
quote:

If he isn’t MIT good but is UTexas with a scholarship good, it’s a no brainer.

This. I would throw Ga Tech's program into the mix as well.
Posted by BeerMoney
Baton Rouge
Member since Jul 2012
8374 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 6:59 am to
I think the computer science program doesn't really matter if your teen just wants to code for a living somewhere local in a regular business setting. LSU, SLU, ITI/ITT, UNO, LaTech, Wherever. Software developers are software developers. Honestly, most good ones don't need the degree they just got it to get a job. As someone who interviews/hires developers I can say I never care about where they got their degree from as long as they can pass the interview.

That's a long way of saying they teach themselves.

I have an ISDS and a Computer Science degree from LSU. Both were a breeze for me. Not because I'm a genius but because I was genuinely interested in programming and using it as a tool to make money. I found an internship in my second year and was working full-time my senior year.

One thing I've observed about people "interested in computer science" is this. If they haven't downloaded a development tool and started programming just on their own, they probably don't actually want to program for a living. I see a lot of people come in who manned through a CS degree who can't do the job proficiently.

LSU, like any other program, will give you what you put in to it. FWIW I feel like the SLU computer science program puts out good graduates at this time.

Oh and stay away from that IBM dumpster fire. There's a reason why they always have 100 jobs open. Plenty of small consultancies, bank jobs or big healthcare type operations around here to get started in.
Posted by TheHarahanian
Actually not Harahan as of 6/2023
Member since May 2017
19509 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 7:04 am to
quote:

CS kids are way weirder than the EE and ECE kids

This never changes.

1991 ECE
Posted by Parmen
Member since Apr 2016
18317 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 7:51 am to
quote:

I had a 3.3 and very few options so I went to law school. Which I also discourage as much as possible.

LSU Law? When I did undergrad, they tried to sell me on the 3+3 program, but I didn’t want to commit to a law degree from LSU. It’s a great school, but not for NY or the NE.

[insert generic “Cool, you know someone with a JD from LSU who works in Manhattan but the vast majority of LSU grads will never be able to do that” for anyone who try to rebut my post]
Posted by Tigeralum2008
Yankees Fan
Member since Apr 2012
17131 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 8:15 am to
quote:

I have a teen looking at computer science. Good grades and scores. Not good enough to go elite like MIT, but good enough to do better than LSU according to rankings.

With IBM in Baton Rouge and the increased CS enrollment and budget, is LSU perhaps better than it appears and the rankings are lagging a bit?

ETA: LSU would be much cheaper.

OP,
Check out La Tech. Their CS department is much better than LSU's.

My son is currently enrolled at LaTech and is pursuing a degree in Cyber Engineering. His freshman year consisted of a "Living with Cyber" curriculum where students are handed a Raspberry Pi and also build two robots.

Cyber Engineering is a degree in CS with a minor in Math. Upper classmen compete in an annual cyber security competition where they try to hack their competitors while also scanning the LaTech infrastructure for vulnerabilities.
This post was edited on 2/20/18 at 8:16 am
Posted by SouthBendBob
Rockland County, NY
Member since Mar 2013
849 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 9:27 am to
I graduated about 9 years ago from LSU with a degree in Computer Engineering with a minor Computer Science. I had a strong enough foundation to get into University of Michigan's computer science and engineering program for a Master's. Through the connections I made there, I was later recruited to a PhD program at Notre Dame and will be graduating this spring.

My advice would be to tell your kid to make the most of their undergraduate program. I would also recommend encouraging them to apply to internships or undergraduate research experiences that take place over the summer break. Those summer experiences are what helped me better understand the material and gave me a leg up in my applications to graduate programs. Getting a graduate degree will make them more competitive on the job market and it comes with the added benefit of being mostly free.

Basically, if you kid applies themselves at LSU and makes the most of their opportunities, then there's no reason why they couldn't go to a top 10 CS school for a graduate program with the added benefit of not increasing their debt.
Posted by vistajay
Member since Oct 2012
2492 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 9:53 am to
What are the benefits of a masters and PhD in CS, unless you want to be a professor? You are giving up a lot of income while in grad school, so I am guessing you think the degrees will benefit you in the long run.
Posted by CelticDog
Member since Apr 2015
42867 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 10:02 am to
Apply to 3 tiers and LSU.
And one that's strong in business.

2 cuts above. Say, Washington u in st Louis.
Florida, which is a cut above.
And the dream outcome. What that is for him.
Business u.
LSU fall back position.

Make sure he gets a broader look than just techie so he can be easy transition to project manager or chief designer later.
Posted by Bjorn Cyborg
Member since Sep 2016
26720 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 7:28 pm to
Ok
This post was edited on 3/18/18 at 8:35 pm
Posted by MrSmith
Member since Sep 2009
8311 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 8:43 pm to
quote:

One thing I've observed about people "interested in computer science" is this. If they haven't downloaded a development tool and started programming just on their own, they probably don't actually want to program for a living. I see a lot of people come in who manned through a CS degree who can't do the job proficiently.

Couldn't agree more
quote:

Oh and stay away from that IBM dumpster fire. There's a reason why they always have 100 jobs open.

This too
This post was edited on 2/20/18 at 8:44 pm
Posted by Epic Cajun
Lafayette, LA
Member since Feb 2013
32416 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 8:59 pm to
quote:

I always just considered ISDS an option for kids that couldnt hack the math requirement of CS.

Or people who have a shred of personality?

And no, I’m not an ISDS major.
Posted by elprez00
Hammond, LA
Member since Sep 2011
29377 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 9:18 pm to
When I was at LSU I took a computer science class. Our professor constantly didn’t show up for class.

One particular morning after about 15 mins he still hadn’t shown up. We were getting ready to walk out when a girl walks in and announces class was cancelled. We asked where our prof was and she said she didn’t even know who he was. “I’m from the Animal Sciences dept.” One of the guys asked why he called someone from Animal Sciences to cancel class. And it hit me.

Animals Sciences is listed before Anthropology in the college directory.

He literally opened up the directory and called the first number he saw. He was a god awful teacher.
Posted by CelticDog
Member since Apr 2015
42867 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 9:20 pm to
I worked at northwestern.
PhDs were given the best jobs in computer dept.
Some were good, wise, brave, learning new things.
Some were quiet empty suits.
Posted by KillTheGophers
Member since Jan 2016
6211 posts
Posted on 2/20/18 at 11:43 pm to
I would recommend Louisiana Tech computer science...do the TOPS thing and save some cash. There is some damn impressive work being done in Ruston right now.

If she can get into University of Texas and can afford it...well then hell yes.

Stay away from universities that combined Computer Science / Information Technology.

LSU has problems - the program is underfunded for the number of students there....but the student count in the program keeps growing....damn mess.
This post was edited on 2/20/18 at 11:45 pm
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 4Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram