Started By
re: ..

Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:36 pm to
Posted by Catman88
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Dec 2004
49125 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:36 pm to
Wouldnt trade a CS degree for an ISDS ever.

I minored in ISDS and was a TA in ISDS. Most kids in that major i found had a very hard time grasping basic logic. Its a great major if you want to only be a sys admin or go into itsec. I have never even seen a developer resume on my desk with ISDS as the major.
Posted by glorymanutdtiger
Baton Rouge
Member since Jun 2012
3791 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:38 pm to
A good knowledge of data structures, strong analytical, mathematical skills always make a good developer
Posted by fallguy_1978
Best States #50
Member since Feb 2018
48466 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:39 pm to
ISDS is more geared towards networking, security, systems, cloud, dba's etc. I don't interview many developers or CS majors. Most of our software is developed by third parties. Completely different majors imo.
Posted by MrSmith
Member since Sep 2009
8311 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:39 pm to
quote:

I just graduated from BRCC and can barely get an interview. The jobs are there, they just aren't hiring. Not me anyway.

For programming jobs? You're talking to the wrong people. There's so many jobs right now we can't find enough people. I'm getting 2-3 recruiter messages a week on LinkedIn.
Posted by Catman88
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Dec 2004
49125 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:44 pm to
IBM has been consistently failing to perform in BR. They dont hire the numbers they should. They have to maintain a certain number to get benefits from the state. There are many better options.

I would recommend anyone in any of these majors to network at events in BR like SQL Saturdays and join the local user groups. Dont be afraid to take a job on a help desk to get your foot in the door but constantly try to improve and move into the area you want. Move if you dont see upward mobility.
Posted by TigerWerm
7th circle of hell
Member since Nov 2005
5780 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:45 pm to
quote:

Wouldnt trade a CS degree for an ISDS ever.

I minored in ISDS and was a TA in ISDS. Most kids in that major i found had a very hard time grasping basic logic. Its a great major if you want to only be a sys admin or go into itsec. I have never even seen a developer resume on my desk with ISDS as the major.

Respectfully disagree

The best developers I've hired were ISDS / MIS grads

In my experience, the best developers are also great business analysts, and ISDS sets you up much better for that

From there, if you have the aptitude and will, becoming an expert at a specific tech stack (LAMP, .NET, iOS/Objective C, etc) is a matter of putting in the time
Posted by MrSmith
Member since Sep 2009
8311 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:48 pm to
quote:

without a doubt that an LSU ISDS degree > LSU Comp Sci degree.

quote:

The Comp Sci guys are frequently lost in business meetings.

WTF. That's a bizarre comparison. Of course we're not leading business meetings. Most programmers in software don't have to attend business meetings. ISDS guys would be completely lost in a dev meeting as well.
Posted by jefforize
Member since Feb 2008
44085 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:49 pm to
Yeah, its the first quarter. Everyone is hiring
Posted by MrSmith
Member since Sep 2009
8311 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:49 pm to
quote:

IBM has been consistently failing to perform in BR. They dont hire the numbers they should

I've also never heard a single positive thing about working there
Posted by Brosef Stalin
Member since Dec 2011
39183 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:51 pm to
Networking, not programming. I took a few semesters of C++. Let's just say its not my strong point.
Posted by jefforize
Member since Feb 2008
44085 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:53 pm to
Hopefully youve sent a resume to sparkhound and have been in contact with a recruiter
Posted by fallguy_1978
Best States #50
Member since Feb 2018
48466 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:54 pm to
quote:

Most programmers in software don't have to attend business meetings. ISDS guys would be completely lost in a dev meeting as well.

They are different majors for a reason. It's not apples and apples although there is some crossover. I'm a Solutions Architect (I didn't come up with the job title)/Team Lead. When I'm hiring a web developer vs a Citrix/VMware engineer I'm evaluating completely different skill sets. Neither is better than the other.
Posted by Catman88
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Dec 2004
49125 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:56 pm to

I always just considered ISDS an option for kids that couldnt hack the math requirement of CS.

Its most certainly the easier major of the two.

Posted by AZBayouBengal07
Metry
Member since Nov 2005
2799 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:56 pm to
I get your point, but I've never been lost in a dev meeting.

I have an ISDS undergrad and MBA and haven't been able to get off the tech side. There are many dev opportunities available to me should I want them at my current company. I would agree with others that said do ISDS so you have some business background and then do certifications in things you want to focus on. Keep all your options open.
Posted by AZBayouBengal07
Metry
Member since Nov 2005
2799 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 9:57 pm to
quote:

I always just considered ISDS an option for kids that couldnt hack the math requirement of CS.

EE for me. fricking physics...
Posted by Catman88
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Dec 2004
49125 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:03 pm to
I think if you do CS then you want to do ISDS as well or vice versa.

Most guys i found though chose secondary study in shite like psychology. Because they wanted to actually have a female in a class with them.
Posted by fallguy_1978
Best States #50
Member since Feb 2018
48466 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:06 pm to
quote:

Most guys i found though chose secondary study in shite like psychology. Because they wanted to actually have a female in a class with them

Marketing classes were a damn gold mine

ETA - they all work as IT recruiters now. Most of them I know are OT 6+
This post was edited on 2/19/18 at 10:08 pm
Posted by Bayou_Tiger_225
Third Earth
Member since Mar 2016
10444 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:08 pm to
It also depends what you want to do later in your career. I personally think that an ISDS background allows you to make an easier transition to a senior level position due to the business aspect of the degree.
Posted by Catman88
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Dec 2004
49125 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:11 pm to
ISDS had girls though.

In CS it went like this the first day of every semester. Walk in class sit down:

Cute girl walk in class sits down.

Each socially deprived kid gets happy feet.

Instructor walks in introduces himself and the course and cute girl realizes she is in wrong class and makes an exit.

Of course we all had the friend with multi color hair that would beat you in a knife throwing contest that also had breasts.

Posted by fallguy_1978
Best States #50
Member since Feb 2018
48466 posts
Posted on 2/19/18 at 10:15 pm to
I took 3-4 CS classes too. ISDS was very meh as far as women were concerned. The other business classes were mostly solid though.

You can make a comparable living with either major. Just different skill sets.
This post was edited on 2/19/18 at 10:32 pm
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram