- My Forums
- Tiger Rant
- LSU Recruiting
- SEC Rant
- Saints Talk
- Pelicans Talk
- More Sports Board
- Fantasy Sports
- Golf Board
- Soccer Board
- O-T Lounge
- Tech Board
- Home/Garden Board
- Outdoor Board
- Health/Fitness Board
- Movie/TV Board
- Book Board
- Music Board
- Political Talk
- Money Talk
- Fark Board
- Gaming Board
- Travel Board
- Food/Drink Board
- Ticket Exchange
- TD Help Board
Customize My Forums- View All Forums
- Show Left Links
- Topic Sort Options
- Trending Topics
- Recent Topics
- Active Topics
Started By
Message

20-25 million dollars to fix Washington street exit
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:00 pm
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:00 pm
Why not just close the exit and use that lane?
LINK
LINK
quote:
BATON ROUGE - An announcement was made on Thursday regarding the future of the Washington Street exit in Old South Baton Rouge.
The governor joined by city, state and congressional representatives announced that a new off-ramp is to be constructed at the Washington exit to help with the traffic problem.
The current exit is often criticized as one of the reasons eastbound I-10 bottlenecks over the river. Delays happen often and at odd times - during rush hour and random weekends. Traffic can back up through West Baton Rouge and reach as far as the Iberville Parish line.
According to Governor John Bel Edwards, the state was awarded a $60 million federal grant for transportation purposes and $20-25 million of that grant will be used to construct the new off-ramp. Edwards said that the construction of the new off-ramp is critical not only for commerce, but for quality of life for drivers.
According to Dr. Shawn Wilson, DOTD secretary, five to seven years is the time frame officials are currently looking at for the project to be completed.
Wednesday, the governor and other leaders discussed work on I-10 west of the Atchafalaya Basin. The interstate will be resurfaced from the I-10 Basin Bridge to the I-10/I-49 interchange. Money for work there is funded by a $60 million highway grant. As WBRZ.com previously reported, federal money used for work in the Lafayette area would free up money to be used in Baton Rouge.
"We will be in a position to redirect resources to other critical infrastructure needs across Louisiana," Governor John Bel Edwards said when the grant funding was announced in June.
The issue at the exit in Baton Rouge is no secret to drivers, state traffic engineers or even federal officials. When the president visited Baton Rouge earlier this year, both the mayor and governor discussed the interstate traffic situation with President Obama.
"The situation has reached such a point that it creates a significant danger to the traveling public," the mayor told the president as they drove through the corridor after his arrival. Then, the mayor said President Obama was supportive of listening and discussing any possible federal solution to the troubles.
Congressman Garret Graves has been an outspoken advocate of federal assistance dealing with the traffic problems.
"This probably should have been anticipated 40 years ago," Graves said in June. "We should have been well on a path to having it addressed by now."
Among the possibilities discussed recently, is a left exit on I-110 southbound. DOTD leaders have said the ramp could help take pressure away from the merge coming off the Mississippi River Bridge. In previous stories, DOTD would not elaborate on where the ramp would or could be built but said it is a serious solution.
"We are confident in what we're doing so much so that we are already beginning the process to design that and that will prevent the merge of traffic from I-110 interfering from traffic off of the bridge coming to Baton Rouge," DOTD Secretary Dr. Shawn Wilson explained.
Wilson is likely to be involved in the news conference Thursday. Watch WBRZ News 2 at NOON Thursday for late-breaking details on the announcement. Monitor the WBRZ Channel 2 Facebook for a live stream of the event Thursday.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:02 pm to Tigerpaw123
quote:
According to Dr. Shawn Wilson, DOTD secretary, five to seven years is the time frame officials are currently looking at for the project to be completed.
This is the important part
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:04 pm to Tigerpaw123
Just close it off.
Nobody worth a shite uses that exit anyway, it's GD Washington street...
Nobody worth a shite uses that exit anyway, it's GD Washington street...
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:04 pm to Tigerpaw123
quote:
According to Dr. Shawn Wilson, DOTD secretary, five to seven years is the time frame officials are currently looking at for the project to be completed
How the hell is that even possible?? One exit. 5-7 years. Jesus Christ.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:04 pm to Tigerpaw123
quote:
DOTD would not elaborate on where the ramp would or could be built but said it is a serious solution
I think they must be a bunch of morons.
quote:
just close the exit
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:05 pm to Tigerpaw123
quote:
Why not just close the exit
That's racist.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:06 pm to Topwater Trout
Need to "study" it to find there aren't any issues.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:08 pm to Tigerpaw123
quote:
Why not just close the exit and use that lane?
That proposal has been made many times and received much opposition. Yes, it is the simplest solution but the local government will not allow.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:08 pm to Tigerpaw123
Just have someone dynamite it. Then they can just close the exit off. Boom, instant fix
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:10 pm to Topwater Trout
If I was Governor, I would fire every DOTD employee and contract Texas' DOTD to do all of our shite. They'd have that exit fixed in 4 months and a new bridge in a year and probably be 1/2 the price.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:11 pm to Tigerpaw123
Orange barrels will be OOC for 5-7 years.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:11 pm to Tigerpaw123
quote:When even the secretary is a Doctor, you are spending too much on employees.
Dr. Shawn Wilson, DOTD secretary
Les Miles has lost control of the LADOTD.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:13 pm to waiting4saturday
quote:
contract Texas' DOTD to do all of our shite
they are truly amazing. Drove to corpus one Thursday and came back home on a sunday...they must have paved over 20 miles of highway between Houston and Victoria in those few days
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:19 pm to slackster
quote:
How the hell is that even possible?? One exit. 5-7 years. Jesus Christ.
Possible reconfiguration of that side of the interstate perhaps?
If the left side of the eastbound interstate is used for the exit, then there is not much room for a left exit without having to do something entirely for that particular stretch.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:21 pm to Tigerpaw123
quote:
Why not just close the exit and use that lane?
what lane?
remind yourself what this interchange looks like on google earth, and then think about what you're saying. there is no lane. it drops off.
2 lanes come on from I-10, and 2 more come on from I-110. that's 4. immediately after the washington street exit, there are 3 lanes because the rightmost lane dropped with the exit. that is the issue. a lane is missing because it drops with the exit.
the fix is to extend the dropped lane (rightmost lane) and keep the 2 lanes from I-10 continuing with no merging needed.
if you close the exit, you still only have 3 lanes after the exit, and you still have to merge. again, just closing the exit does nothing.
This post was edited on 8/4/16 at 1:26 pm
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:22 pm to waiting4saturday
quote:
and contract Texas' DOTD to do all of our shite. They'd have that exit fixed in 4 months and a new bridge in a year and probably be 1/2 the price
Their biggest advantage is topography...which in most parts of the state is entirely different from Louisiana. They won't make a significant difference in recommendations.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:22 pm to Tigerpaw123
quote:
Why not just close the exit and use that lane?
you know exactly why.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:24 pm to c on z
quote:FIFY
Their biggest advantage is people actually want to get up off their asses and go to work and do shite...which in most parts of the state is entirely different from Louisiana.
Texas looks at problems as something to be solved not something to make their in-laws and baws money.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:25 pm to Tigerpaw123
Just have one lane of the 110 exit Terrace and end. Then close washington. Everybody wins.
Posted on 8/4/16 at 1:25 pm to slackster
If they are going to rebuild the exit, move it to the left side, and move to Terrace, then have a lane run under the current freeway or use the lane beside it between Terrace and Washington.
It also needs to be impossible to get on at 100th and off again at the new exit if it switches to a left exit. If not, idiots will get on, stop, cross 3 lanes, then get off again at Washington just to avoid driving around Expressway park.
It also needs to be impossible to get on at 100th and off again at the new exit if it switches to a left exit. If not, idiots will get on, stop, cross 3 lanes, then get off again at Washington just to avoid driving around Expressway park.
This post was edited on 8/4/16 at 1:29 pm
Popular
Back to top

22









