Started By
re: .

Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:00 am to
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422114 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:00 am to
i mean there is something to be said about NOT letting essentially a DT carry the ball
Posted by c on z
Zamunda
Member since Mar 2009
127390 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:03 am to
quote:

we literally could not stop them

Primarily in the 2nd half. Ever since they converted on a 4th down in the 3rd, they salted us away with their running game.

Posted by stho381
Lafayette, LA
Member since Jan 2012
4628 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:29 am to
Little confidence in the QBs compared to the running game. At the end of the day, I think CLM knew the record at the end of the year was what was going to cost him his job. He would rather have LSU competitive in every game and go 8-4 at worst than allow for a ton of turnovers that are back breakers in the SEC and have a potential 5-7 year like the UGAs and Floridas have had.

That said, CLM still took a crap ton of heat the year we had Mett, OBJ, Juice, and Hill. The offense was great that year and the defense sucked. We went 9-3 and everyone was still calling for Les's head. The reality is that LSU's fan base is never satisfied and never will be. When the team jumped out to 2-2 last year, the writing was on the wall that we were probably going to have another 8-5 season at best and the call for CLM to be let go got too loud.
Posted by Alt26
Member since Mar 2010
28275 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:39 am to
quote:

2008 and 2011 were the 2 worst things that ever happened to Les in terms of being an elite-ish coach

2008 gave him shell shock and PTSD and 2011 gave him false confidence in bully ball

Exactly!

After 2008 Les hired a new DC and decided he was never again going to be put in a spot where interceptions could decide the game. He would rather grind out a 21-20 win against a team LSU was clearly superior to than put the ball in the air (especially over the middle of the field) and potentially blow someone away early.

In 2011 he had a dominant defense and their simplistic offensive approach worked the first two months of the season. But you could see the NC game result coming from a mile away. LSU's offense didn't do anything at Bama. It took a herculean effort by the defense, coupled with Bama missing FG's to get out of there with a win. The next week Jefferson became the full time QB and LSU played an ugly first half (offensively) against WKU. They throttled Ole Miss (who had completely quit) then looked terrible to start against Ark. Thank God Mathieu sparked everything with the punt return, because the offense was as ineffective as it ever was. Then they couldn't even get a first down in the first half against UGA. Mathieu coupled with UGA flat out dropping a pair of potential TD's kept LSU in a game they should have been getting blown out of. Les refused to acknowledge the writing on the wall.

2013 was such an anomaly not so much because of Mettenberger, Bekham, Hill and Landry, but because LSU's defense was so weak, Les had no choice but to open us the offense. Those same 4 players were there in 2012, but Les kept things safe.
Posted by Tiger_Stripes
New Orleans
Member since Apr 2013
903 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:43 am to
It's downright SAD that people are starting threads like this in July 2017.

Posted by Cadello
Eunice
Member since Dec 2007
47795 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:48 am to
Why don't you ever change?
Why do you keep starting shitty posts?
When will you learn?
I can see your end is near.

I was a fan of Miles as a person. Couldn't have asked for a more upstanding person. He cared about those kids. His coaching skills were not up to LSU standard. Just don't like seeing him criticized anymore. He's gone.
This post was edited on 7/16/17 at 12:30 pm
Posted by DmitriKaramazov
Member since Nov 2015
4468 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:49 am to
quote:

Why didn't Les change?

That's the equivalent of asking why a remedial student didn't change his approach to studying, or test-taking. Miles had no acumen for tactics. He didn't know how to effectively change. He wasn't intelligent enough to objectively assess his strategy and adapt. He was a recruiter and a motivator.
Posted by H-Town Tiger
Member since Nov 2003
59098 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:55 am to
There's a line in a movie (The Pirates of Silicon Valley) Bill Gates says "success is a menace it convinces smart people they can't be wrong".

That fits Les to a tee. Haters may not like to admit it but he had a lot of success here. In his day 17-14 games were the norm and he'd rather win 9-6 than lose 45-42 is his mentality.
Posted by Tiger Ree
Houston
Member since Jun 2004
24545 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 10:57 am to
Les biggest problems were un-development of the QB's and his system which may have been a direct result of his un-development of the QB position.

I watched a few of Jarrett Lee's high school games. The guy was slinging it all over the field making every pass. From Wiki: "Prior to his junior season, Lee transferred to Brenham High School. Lee holds every major season and career passing record in Brenham High School football history. He finished with 6,182 career passing yards and 78 total touchdowns. Lee had more than 30 scholarship offers from Division I schools, and chose LSU over Nebraska, Kansas State, Oklahoma, and others on May 30, 2006".

He had already thrown 168 passes for Brownswood before transferring to Brenham. Bottom line is the guy didn't suck UNTIL he got to LSU.

I follow recruiting and I think every time I saw a WR's highlight film I said why don't we sign that QB. That SOB can complete passes. The QB probably never got an offer, was not ranked or ever went to college but somehow Les or his coordinator/QB coach could take a highly rated/recruited QB and make them look worse than a high school QB with no offers.

Like they used to say of Michael Jordan, "the only person who could stop MJ was Dean Smith". Well, Les or his coordinator(s) were the only people who could stop LSU's QB's. He won in spite of it because LSU had great talent.

Good damn thing for Les he was able to sign LF7 or he may not have survived for near as long as he did.
Posted by I20goon
about 7mi down a dirt road
Member since Aug 2013
12868 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 11:06 am to
quote:

Alt26
One topic that you are touching on with your post is Les' inability to self-scout. That 2011 UGA SECCG is a great example. We won, thanks to Honey Badger and, as you pointed out, two huge drops by UGA. So we won, nothing needs to be fixed.

It has already been revealed that the team wasn't spending near about enough time in the film room. Hard to self-scout when you've convinced yourself what you are doing is good enough, and good enough is as far as you need to go, but when you're not even utilizing the tools it's even harder. The great coaches are some real bastards, but they are bastards to themselves as well as others. They are experts at critiquing; themselves and everyone around them. Yeah, there's Saban. Spurrier was as hard on himself and heisman winning QBs as he was overweight DL.

I see things that led Les to be especially stubborn and resistant, stubborn and resistant to likely diminished what should've been a very good legacy and get fired.

1. He is naturally stubborn; if someone was telling him do A, he was going to do B just to make a point.

2. Didn't hold coaches around him as accountable as himself.

3. Inability to be critical of a positive outcome and self-scout

4. Fear of change, especially when the net results (9-6 or UGA game) give him a reason not to change (good enough is good enough). Unfortunately, the opponents were changing as they saw the film.

5. Inefficient practices and since there was no need to change, just execute the same thing better, failure to game plan for specific opponents. Just do your thing and everything will be fine. They were adjusting, we were not because of not being self-critical, and it bled over to practices. Unfortunately, this likely led to the poor QB development also.

You combine all these and they are going on at the same time, you end up with ultra-stubbornness and those flaws combined to be fatal flaws. As a coach and a person, I don't think Les was that resistant to change. He let these things steer him; he let events control him instead of controlling events.
Posted by Highfive84
Florida
Member since Jan 2017
301 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 11:08 am to
I think overall Les did a good job for LSU. He just wouldn't change with the times it's that simple.
Posted by AlxTgr
Kyre Banorg
Member since Oct 2003
81608 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 11:08 am to
quote:

Joe Alleva hired Ed Orgeron and put the final nail in LSU football's coffin.

Who should have been hired?
Posted by Tiger Ugly
Baton Rouge
Member since Jul 2008
14481 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 11:09 am to
quote:

In 2011 he had a dominant defense and their simplistic offensive approach worked the first two months of the season. But you could see the NC game result coming from a mile away.

This, you could see the beginnings of this in the SECC game vs. Georgia. Our offense was going nothing and was terribly predictable and ineffective. We were stuffed on several "here it comes" 3rd and short and fourth and short plays.

Then a couple of special teams plays by Honey Badger turned the tide and the Dawgs quit.

The result looked great, but if you looked closer there were huge red flags.
Posted by mikeytig
NE of Tiger Stadium
Member since Nov 2007
7063 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 11:09 am to
quote:

Lacour

As you pointed out in your earlier thread- the air was sucked out of this program- Les Miles led the program into irrelevance and mediocrity. How painful has it been to watch an LSU offense? Now we are paying him 1.6 million a year to hang out in Destin.
Posted by mdomingue
Lafayette, LA
Member since Nov 2010
30126 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 11:33 am to
quote:

Les was ok with losing a game or two here and there. Nick never was and never will be. That's what separates good from great coaches, the fear of losing.

Seemed like he was at LSU. He lost at least 3 games and at least 2 SEC games every year at LSU except 1
Posted by monsterballads
Make LSU Great Again
Member since Jun 2013
29263 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 11:58 am to
quote:

Unfortunately Les did not understand how to run an offense.

He did. Just coached scared.
Posted by mdomingue
Lafayette, LA
Member since Nov 2010
30126 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 11:59 am to
quote:

quote:

Why didn't Les change?

That's the equivalent of asking why a remedial student didn't change his approach to studying, or test-taking. Miles had no acumen for tactics. He didn't know how to effectively change. He wasn't intelligent enough to objectively assess his strategy and adapt. He was a recruiter and a motivator.

That's a bad analogy. If you're going to use an education analogy, at least use one that makes sense. The man was such a football idiot that he managed to be the LSU coach with the highest win percentage in history, gave us our first undefeated regular season since 1958.

A better analogy would be to say he was like a 3.8 GPA student trying to get a 4.0. His success convinced him the methods were good, just the execution needed improvement.

Unfortunately for Les and LSU his style of play did little to attract the one thing they needed most, better QB talent. At least that is my take.
This post was edited on 7/16/17 at 12:00 pm
Posted by Gus Tinsley
NW LA.
Member since May 2008
3346 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:02 pm to
Just my opinion but had Perrilloux not been kicked off the team, with the defense LSU had and the players on the bench, He was in good shape for another NC run. Having to fall back on Jordan Jefferson was maybe the first nail in his coffin.
One can only speculate how good the Tigers would have been with Perrilloux starting 2 years.
Posted by DIGGY
Member since Nov 2012
1755 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:04 pm to
And accomplished the SEC and NC successes Les did in less than half the time, without enduring the SEC and NC game losses!!!
Posted by Lacour
Member since Nov 2009
32949 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:05 pm to
quote:

It's downright SAD that people are starting threads like this in July 2017.

Yeah, because people never talk about history.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 6Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram