Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:09 pm to
Posted by therick711
South
Member since Jan 2008
25093 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:09 pm to
quote:

2008 fricked up Miles' head

Miles also felt invincible after a while and knew if he just would rack off 9-10 regular season wins he was safe

he adopted a style, with our talent, that all but guaranteed that result

no point in taking risks if you don't feel you have to

Also, he knew he was 30 seconds away in 2012 and about a minute away in 2014 from resetting the heat he was getting. Les believed, and still probably believes that if he continued to do what he had done against most other competition and got a break against Alabama, he would open his window back up another five years. He would rather try his luck in close games than get behind because of his offense. When the talent level dropped a bit and the age of his players did too, that stopped being enough and he started dropping games against State and Arkansas. It was only a matter of time. He had been so fortunate in close games, the luck was eventually going to swing away from him--and it did.
Posted by therick711
South
Member since Jan 2008
25093 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:14 pm to
quote:

When he had decent QB play, like Flynn, Jamarcus or Mett, he threw the ball.

Really? People say that, but even with Mett in 2013 we threw the ball 38% of the time. We treat that like a high watermark because it was approximately 8% more than we were accustomed to, but he never threw the ball a ton or tried to get anywhere near balanced.
Posted by Bloodworth
North Ga
Member since Oct 2007
4000 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:15 pm to
Because he got fat and lazy living off the riches. I also believe that he has mental limitations that made it to complicated to evolve when necessary. When he got fired, he was nothing but an average to below average coach.
Posted by H-Town Tiger
Member since Nov 2003
59098 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:22 pm to
quote:

People say that, but even with Mett in 2013 we threw the ball 38% of the time

People also get too hung up on percentage. Oregon with Marcus Marriota threw it roughly 41% of the time in 2014.

Les' biggest problem was not run pass percentage per se, he was too predictable in most situations and his complete and utter failure to recruit sign and develop a QB.
Posted by TheHat7
Member since Oct 2015
7189 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:22 pm to
He thought with LF & guice he didn't need to change and was gonna prove that his offense could still win. He was stunned as anyone week 1 and it unraveled from there. U could see it in his face. He knew he was done.
Posted by therick711
South
Member since Jan 2008
25093 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:23 pm to
quote:

i mean there is something to be said about NOT letting essentially a DT carry the ball

Especially when Terrence Magee was man-saucing his way down the field.
Posted by therick711
South
Member since Jan 2008
25093 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:26 pm to
quote:

People also get too hung up on percentage.

When people pretend that Les threw the ball when we had good quarterbacks, a simple look at the percentage shows that wasn't even true. It isn't about using it as the only tool, it's about using it to show that perception isn't really reality.
Posted by ShortyRob
Member since Oct 2008
82116 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:27 pm to
quote:

Why didn't Les change? Do you think Les ever really thought he was going to get fired? by

I no longer give a frick why Les did or didn't do anything.

He's gone. I'm glad he's gone

The end
Posted by Number 31
St. Tammany
Member since Jul 2016
4178 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:30 pm to
He had Leonard Fournette and Derrius Guice and honestly believed that the best strategy was to give them the ball and let them make plays.

He may have been right. We legit beat Auburn (clock ran when it should've stopped on final drive, and there was time remaining when the TD pass is snapped if Auburn didn't cheat), and probably would've beaten Wisconsin if Etling was available.

We sure as hell wouldn't have lost at home to Florida under Les. Bama game probably has the same result.
This post was edited on 7/16/17 at 12:31 pm
Posted by OU812
Greensboro, NC
Member since Apr 2004
12564 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:32 pm to
Les Miles is no longer the coach at LSU. He frustrated the majority of us to the point of him being firing and now we are stuck with a "proven" coach that fits a certain group of people in a certain part of Louisiana. If things get 1990s ugly, I would not be surprised, so sit back and have your whiskey ready, because you are gonna need it!
This post was edited on 7/16/17 at 12:36 pm
Posted by mdomingue
Lafayette, LA
Member since Nov 2010
30126 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:34 pm to
quote:

And accomplished the SEC and NC successes Les did in less than half the time,

Not really, He wan a NC in his 4th year, Les won one in his 3rd. Also, Saban played in the weaker division (at the time) in a weaker conference. In Saban's defense, Les inherited a much better program.

In my opinion (and many others I've talked to), if Saban doesn't end up at Alabama, Miles likely has at least a one more championship, possibly (some say likely) more.

I hate Saban in an irrational way but he is one of the best, if not THE best, recruiter I have ever seen as a head coach and also one of the best head coaches I've ever seen. He is by far the best combination of recruiter and head coach I have ever seen.

Posted by Bloodworth
North Ga
Member since Oct 2007
4000 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:37 pm to
quote:

Les Miles is no longer the coach at LSU. He frustrated the majority of us to the point of him being firing and now we are stuck with a "proven" coach that fits a certain group of people in a certain part of Louisiana. If things get 1990s ugly, I would not be surprised, so sit back and have your wiskey ready, because you are gonna need it!

I rather take my chances with the current situation rather than stick with what everybody knew about Les. He was killing the program and his goofy persona was stale and embarrassing.
Posted by H-Town Tiger
Member since Nov 2003
59098 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:41 pm to
quote:

When people pretend that Les threw the ball when we had good quarterbacks, a simple look at the percentage shows that wasn't even true

You can argue he should have thrown more in certain situations or on specific plays but there are plenty of teams with very effective offenses that do not throw more than 38% of the time. Ohio State only threw 37% of the time in 2014. They were closer to 50-50 vs Bama. Les was running 1960s offense.
Posted by therick711
South
Member since Jan 2008
25093 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:46 pm to
I don't disagree, it just happens to have nothing to do with the point I was originally responding to.
Posted by H-Town Tiger
Member since Nov 2003
59098 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:49 pm to
quote:

i mean there is something to be said about NOT letting essentially a DT carry the ball

Especially against Alabama or really any conference game. Want to get JC some end zone time do it against Directional Kentucky.
Posted by therick711
South
Member since Jan 2008
25093 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:54 pm to
quote:

Especially against Alabama or really any conference game. Want to get JC some end zone time do it against Directional Kentucky.

Hell, even regular Kentucky.
Posted by Lacour
Member since Nov 2009
32949 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 12:56 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 8/5/17 at 10:17 am
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
202758 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 1:04 pm to
So Auburn cheated to win last year????

Posted by tigbit
Member since Jun 2011
2800 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 1:11 pm to
Posted by Ponchy Tiger
Ponchatoula
Member since Aug 2004
45105 posts
Posted on 7/16/17 at 1:14 pm to
quote:

2008 fricked up Miles' head

This is absolutely true. Everyone thinks it was Saban but that was far from the truth. 2008 and the rash of interceptions ruined his trust to turn a QB loose and let him learn. 2013 was the exception, Mett came to LSU pretty much already developed. Even in 2013 with the crazy numbers put up by Mett, Hill, Landry and Odell they still held back. Go back to the days of Miles being a OC at Oklahoma State his offenses were explosive and put up big numbers.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 6Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram