Started By
re: .

Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:10 am to
Posted by Mike da Tigah
Bravo Romeo Lima Alpha
Member since Feb 2005
58857 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:10 am to
Can we get a sticky? Being its the beginning of the hurricane season, I thought it would be good to know where to send our evacuees. Might as well be a better place like Austin Texas.

This post was edited on 6/13/14 at 9:11 am
Posted by CanShakersDecayedNut
Member since Sep 2006
3144 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:11 am to
a few of your points are absolutely ridiculous. I get the whole "i just moved here the grass must be greener" bullshite to help you validate your decision. But God Damn. Use some level of common sense.

Culture? Really? That the California culture, the wannabe hipster hippie culture or the pretend "giddy up, we're texans" culture?

Diversity? More diverse than New Orleans? Really?

More things to do? Unless listening to shitty bands in hippy ridden bars on sixth street is your thing, I don't think that's really true. I'm no New Orleans fan, but you can not knock New Orleans when it comes to things to do. That is asinine.

People don't approach you for money? REALLY? You haven't seen austin obviously.

People give a shite? Sure, about everything but personal hygiene. Most people downtown look like they could just...use a bath.

Hurricanes? That really threw you that much off of your game? So now you can enjoy a drought and all the BS that is coming as a result of that.

Granted, the business culture in Austin is amazing. Lots more opportunity. But your list is somewhat retarded. And by "somewhat retarded" I of course mean "completely retarded".
Posted by Rouge
Floston Paradise
Member since Oct 2004
136794 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:12 am to
Hill country shall be renamed New Houma
Posted by Elvis Parsley
Red Stuck
Member since Jan 2004
615 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:17 am to
Unique thread. Never been discussed. I give it a 10 for originality.
Posted by Cool J
Crescent City
Member since Dec 2011
3072 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:18 am to
quote:

10. More things to do

LINK
All in the last couple days
Posted by Nado Jenkins83
Land of the Free
Member since Nov 2012
59603 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:33 am to
Lake Travis will dry up at some point. Austin was an oasis. But will be a dust bowl sooner or later
Posted by RedFoxx
New Orleans, LA
Member since Jan 2009
5997 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:33 am to
As a Louisiana transplant living in Austin I have a few issues.

It doesn't matter if the speed limit here is higher, there's always traffic, any day any time. And the drivers are terrible.

There are people asking for money. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting a panhandler in Austin.

At the risk of sounding like one of the stupid ficking hipsters all over town Austin used to be better 7 years ago. Now it's yuppified, mini Dallas.

The one big positive that stands out is no state income tax.

Nola culture > ATX culture
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:35 am to
quote:

Culture? Really? That the California culture, the wannabe hipster hippie culture or the pretend "giddy up, we're texans" culture?

1. NOLA is infested with gutter trash hippies. I prefer hipsters and they don't bring culture.
2. NOLA's "culture" is some touristy shitholes in the quarter, and jazz music. Throw in a few local oddities and you just have a slightly polished turd.
3. The hippie element of Austin, while sizeable is overstated and emphasized too much in proportion to the impact of the city. I take it you've just been to downtown and south congress.

quote:

Diversity? More diverse than New Orleans? Really

70% of the people in NOLA look alike, dress alike, same the same values and outlook on life. What diversity are you talking about. Austin has different people no matter how you prefer to categorize it.

quote:

More things to do? Unless listening to shitty bands in hippy ridden bars on sixth street is your thing, I don't think that's really true.

such a hater. So much more to do and less hassle to do it.

quote:

Hurricanes? That really threw you that much off of your game? So now you can enjoy a drought and all the BS that is coming as a result of that.

New Orleans obviously has the two big elements working against it. Crime and corruption. But NOLA wears you out with the amalglamation of the tiny inconveniences. Never ending, pointless hassles. So with all that combined, yes I hate spending a week in the summer with no power because the people at entergy, like most in the area, don't give a shite.

"Welcome to INSERT BUSINESS/OFFICE how may you inconvenience me today?" A city where 8:00 means somewhere in the 8:15 to 9:45 time range. "I'm sorry, but we only take cash, we're unaware of any other legal tender." "Girlfriend dis guy is at da counts starin' at me like he want sumpin (hangs up phone) what you want?" There are too many people in cultcha capital who don't give a shite about anything.

quote:

completely retarded".

Yes, a city as backwards as NOLA can only be described as such
Posted by schexyoung
Deaf Valley
Member since May 2008
6534 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:36 am to
quote:

You don't fully realize how shitty the state of Louisiana is until moving away for a bit. Congrats to you

I love La, but you can't really tell me after living other places that it's run well.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:39 am to
NOLA is a hidden gem, but because of systemic issues, its glorious potential will never be realized.
Member since Sep 2006
3144 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:42 am to
I wanted to respond but...did you call me a "Hater". Really?

And as for "diversity" sounds like you like any diversity as long as it isn't black folk.

Austin is a great town. You are a fricking idiot though. (surely this will illicit a terrifically witty and biting "he mad" response from you, right sport?)
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:49 am to
quote:

And as for "diversity" sounds like you like any diversity as long as it isn't black folk.

Diversity is so much more than race. However, Racially (which is how most people measure diversity) it's incredibly homogenous. I was speaking also philosophically, economically, etc.
Posted by AtlantaLSUfan
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2009
23028 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:49 am to
Austin is great but completely overcrowded.

The rest of Texas sucks arse. Go to San Antonio and hate life. Austin is the best city in Texas by far.
Posted by gorillacoco
Baton Rouge
Member since Oct 2009
5318 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:50 am to
quote:

a few of your points are absolutely ridiculous. I get the whole "i just moved here the grass must be greener" bullshite to help you validate your decision. But God Damn. Use some level of common sense.

More things to do? Unless listening to shitty bands in hippy ridden bars on sixth street is your thing, I don't think that's really true. I'm no New Orleans fan, but you can not knock New Orleans when it comes to things to do. That is asinine.

People give a shite? Sure, about everything but personal hygiene. Most people downtown look like they could just...use a bath.

Granted, the business culture in Austin is amazing. Lots more opportunity. But your list is somewhat retarded. And by "somewhat retarded" I of course mean "completely retarded".

this is actually a good rundown of austin.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:51 am to
quote:

he mad"

Denial is much better description. Nothing to do but hippie dive bars right?
This post was edited on 6/13/14 at 9:52 am
Posted by CAD703X
Liberty Island
Member since Jul 2008
77947 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:52 am to
quote:

Is it possible that the liberals in Austin help make Austin so likable?

i've been scratching my head on this one.

nope. can't figure it out.
Posted by Lacour
Member since Nov 2009
32949 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:53 am to
quote:

Do you really think New Orleans and all of Louisiana in general isn't a backwards cesspool?

Posted by LucasP
Member since Apr 2012
21618 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:53 am to
quote:

Yes, Yes to all of this.

The S/o and I are planning a move to there within the next year or two...

Hey! Me too

June 2016 at the LATEST
Member since Sep 2006
3144 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:57 am to
did you miss the part where I said Austin is a great city? But you don't have to tear New Orleans down to make yourself feel better about it.

It's a great city. But some of your points were completely retarded, as many have pointed out.

The "culture" of new orleans is celebrated by the millions of visitors to the city. It is DAMN near the only thing New Orleans has to offer. Yet you want to make yourself feel better about your move by running down one of the most unique cities this country has to offer.

I'll be the first to slam New Orleans for it's problems. I would personally never live there. But, again, your list was beyond ridiculous and poorly thought out.

Enjoy your shitty tex mex, BigTex.
Posted by REG861
Ocelot, Iowa
Member since Oct 2011
36404 posts
Posted on 6/13/14 at 9:59 am to
quote:

As a Louisiana transplant living in Austin I have a few issues.

It doesn't matter if the speed limit here is higher, there's always traffic, any day any time. And the drivers are terrible.

There are people asking for money. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting a panhandler in Austin.

Jump to page
Page First 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 5 of 10Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram