Started By
Message

i bought a new truck

Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:20 pm
Posted by dukeg7213
Louisiana
Member since Apr 2023
3056 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:20 pm
why is it such a fricking hassle?

found truck i wanted. called dealership as i already had the trucks invoice pricing. offered cash price for truck, deal was accepted. wired the money to dealership. all was great into my 2 hour drive there until...

"sorry the truck you already paid for and we were holding for you we accidentally sold 2 days ago. we have the same exact truck except this one is a demo that one of our managers drove and it has 1900 miles on it."

told them it wasn't new anymore and for wasting my time to wire the money back and i was done with them.

after days of ignoring phone calls i finally answered the managers phone call. they got another truck in and he asked me if i was willing to buy and work with them. i reluctantly said yes but this time the price will be 5k less, a set of weather tech mats included, 3 years of onstar's highest package for free, and free oil changes and tire rotations up to 50k miles. he agreed which i was surprised to.

i'm glad it worked out as i got the vehicle and a good price but how do you "accidentally" sell a vehicle? you don't. they caused an entire 10 day period of bullshite and headache for something that was so simple and handled in the beginning within 6 hours.
Posted by tigerfan84
Member since Dec 2003
20337 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:22 pm to
how much?
Posted by Walt OReilly
Poplarville, MS
Member since Oct 2005
124645 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:24 pm to
Sounds like it worked out really well for you

Surprised that manager agreed to all of that
Posted by AUriptide
Member since Aug 2009
7342 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:25 pm to
quote:

offered cash price for truck


Translation: "I financed it for 96 months"
Posted by Epaminondas
The Boot
Member since Jul 2020
4225 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:25 pm to
They didn't accidentally sell it. They were trying to do a bait and switch. They wanted to sell you a more expensive truck but you called their bluff when you said to wire your money back.
Posted by OysterPoBoy
City of St. George
Member since Jul 2013
35392 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:28 pm to
quote:

how do you "accidentally" sell a vehicle?


It must happen a lot it’s happened to 2 people I know in the last year
Posted by dlambe5
Prairieville
Member since Jul 2009
633 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:30 pm to
Because they initially wanted you to just say, “oh ok that’s fine” to the truck that had 1900 miles on it. They were trying to make more money because you were already invested (time and Money) and will be inconvenienced. Probably had both trucks the whole time.
This post was edited on 4/17/24 at 12:32 pm
Posted by JDPndahizzy
JDP
Member since Nov 2013
6448 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:32 pm to
quote:

Probably had both trucks the whole time.


Probably bought his original truck..
Posted by dukeg7213
Louisiana
Member since Apr 2023
3056 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:33 pm to
quote:

Surprised that manager agreed to all of that


as was i... figured i was about to be told hell no which was fine
Posted by Gee Grenouille
Bogalusa
Member since Jul 2018
4885 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:33 pm to
quote:

how do you "accidentally" sell a vehicle?


Sometimes its the bird in the hand vs the bird in the bush. Yeah you signed papers and sent the money, so they should hold it. On the other hand the truck is still sitting there and someone else saw it after you "bought" it. So they just trying to put another deal together.
Posted by The Mick
Member since Oct 2010
43202 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:34 pm to
Story sounds fishy
Posted by BregmansWheelbarrow
Member since Mar 2020
2653 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:35 pm to
“So you won’t believe what happened! The other buyers backed out!!”
Posted by dukeg7213
Louisiana
Member since Apr 2023
3056 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:35 pm to
quote:

They wanted to sell you a more expensive truck but you called their bluff when you said to wire your money back.


truck isn't offered in a higher package than the one i wanted so i don't know what other truck they wouldve tried selling...

just a complete hassle for no reason and they wonder why people hate dealerships
Posted by WhiskeyThrottle
Weatherford Tx
Member since Nov 2017
5341 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:35 pm to
It's always something stupid with dealerships. 95% chance this was an intentional bait and switch, but on the 5% chance they screwed up, at least they worked with you and gave you more for your money. I don't mind a little stress as long as the value is increased favorably.
Posted by LSUfan4444
Member since Mar 2004
53960 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:37 pm to
quote:

how do you "accidentally" sell a vehicle?


because you

quote:

wired the money to dealership

Posted by Cdawg
TigerFred's Living Room
Member since Sep 2003
59605 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:38 pm to
They didn't sell it. It's a common deceptive practice. You say 5k less, but it wasn't the same truck, trim, level, color, etc. Otherwise, they would have sold it to the other "buyer."


Posted by JDPndahizzy
JDP
Member since Nov 2013
6448 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:41 pm to
This is why I buy local, have them deliver to my house, pick up trade-in and sign papers. Let them be inconvenienced.
Posted by White Bear
Yonnygo
Member since Jul 2014
14015 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:44 pm to
quote:

after days of ignoring phone calls i finally answered the managers phone call. they got another truck in and he asked me if i was willing to buy and work with them. i reluctantly said yes but this time
OP’s soft as baby shite.
This post was edited on 4/17/24 at 12:46 pm
Posted by okietiger
Chelsea F.C. Fan
Member since Oct 2005
40984 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:44 pm to
News Flash: Car Dealerships are shady businesses that do subpar things; consistently.

Breaking stuff, I know.
Posted by OK Roughneck
The Sooner State
Member since Aug 2021
9488 posts
Posted on 4/17/24 at 12:45 pm to
Ahh nothing like getting a new truck !! Congrats !!
first pageprev pagePage 1 of 3Next pagelast page

Back to top
logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram