Posted on 5/2/13 at 3:44 pm to
I don't really care
Posted by Methuselah
On da Riva
Member since Jan 2005
23350 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 3:53 pm to
quote:

I read all of the available books about two months before the series aired. I saw a trailer thought it would be badass so I picked up the books ...

If my memory is accurate this is the way I did it also. How great was it back then knowing there were several books already done and not having to wait months or years for them. Though I think I finished the others some time before Dances With Dragons came out so I had to wait a bit for that one.
Posted by jamsmiley
Zachary La
Member since Nov 2008
632 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 4:44 pm to
I watched season 1 then read book 1 i watched season two then books 2,3,4,5 in row

i I thirst for knowledge i want to know, i have to know, i need to know. i do love spoilers but i didn't read any on TD

Posted by busbeepbeep
When will then be now?
Member since Jan 2004
18317 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 4:51 pm to
I started reading during Season 1. I read the first 3. Then I started #4 and lost momentum. Stopped reading about 40% through it. This season and all the spoiler/non-spoiler threads have motivated me to finish, so now I'm about 60% through Feast and plan on jumping right into Dance afterwards
Posted by auyushu
Surprise, AZ
Member since Jan 2011
8586 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 5:43 pm to
quote:

It's not terrible but I thought it was supposed to be this great series and its really kind of pedestrian.

And I'll look Joe up. Where should I start with him?

The order of Joe's books is the first law trilogy, then best served cold, then the heroes, then red country. Basically a starter trilogy then 3 stand alones set in the same world, with some of the same characters appearing in the stand alones.
Posted by auyushu
Surprise, AZ
Member since Jan 2011
8586 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 5:48 pm to
quote:

You read Rothfuss and Sanderson?

Yeah. I enjoy Rothfuss, but I'd put him a notch below guys like Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, and Steven Erickson.

And Rothfuss isn't really gritty like folks such as Abercrombie, Erickson, or Mark Lawrence.

For Sanderson I have read Mistborn, his WOT books, the first book of his new huge series which name escapes me, and the steampunk/western mistborn followup novel. Sanderson is decent, but his characters kinda blow for the most part. Amazing magic systems however. I really dug the western/gunslinger Mistborn book, that was pretty badass. I found Mistborn and the new series book solid but nothing amazing.
Posted by auyushu
Surprise, AZ
Member since Jan 2011
8586 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 5:51 pm to
quote:

I ordered First Law Trilogy and Red Country

I took a peak on the wikipedia page and the characters names are like the people in Mereen

gozarn-las-ggrangnoak
leshernsas-los-daslak

That's weird, there really shouldn't be too many names like that. Most of the names are either pretty normal or more like the wildling names in ASOIAF.

ETA I see what you mean looking at the wiki. Most of the characters with long names just go by their last names or first names in the books, so I don't think of them that way.

On a side note, once you finish the first trilogy you'd probably want to read best served cold at least and probably the heroes before red country. Red Country is probably my favorite Abercrombie book, but so much of it ties in to the other 5 books.
This post was edited on 5/2/13 at 5:54 pm
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67027 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 5:58 pm to
After burning through A Storm of Swords, I hit kind of a rut. I had heard how slow Feast was so I was kind of apprehensive about reading it. Then, I heard how Aegon shows up and I was thinking, wasn't that guy dead like 15 years ago? So, it motivated me to read Feast and Dance to find out. Feast was awful, but I enjoyed Dance despite Dany.
Posted by putt23
Pingree Grove, IL
Member since Oct 2010
4663 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 6:21 pm to
no, but it inspired me to have to read them again. fricking Cotton, Carson, Belle, Hugo, 19, Met, Voodoo. I was just trolling and got sucked into this shite
Posted by lsunurse
Member since Dec 2005
128950 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 6:29 pm to
Nope, watched the first episode and loaded all the books up on my kindle and devoured them.

I love to read though and it's such great storytelling in those books I don't see why anyone that enjoys reading and likes the series doesn't read them.
Posted by Carson123987
Middle Court at the Rec
Member since Jul 2011
66380 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 6:29 pm to
Posted by Qwerty
Member since Dec 2010
2114 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 6:53 pm to
quote:

I read all the books a while back and I'm just getting into the show. I've watched season 1. If you like books, you should catch the show. It's good.

I don't have hbo so doesn't matter. Regardless I don't want to watch because from what I've heard it's ruined by unnecessary nudity/explicit sex. But I enjoyed book 1 and 2 is good so far. I've been listening to the audio book while commuting and the reading is really excellent.
Posted by Hugo Stiglitz
Member since Oct 2010
72937 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 6:55 pm to
quote:

it's ruined by unnecessary nudity/explicit sex.

The books are more sexually explicit
Posted by TigerintheNO
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2004
41167 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 6:58 pm to
quote:

it's ruined by unnecessary nudity/explicit sex.

There are a couple of scenes in season 3 that I doubt they are going to show. Hell last week's episode was tame compared to the book.
Posted by Scruffy
Kansas City
Member since Jul 2011
72027 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 7:01 pm to
quote:

Regardless I don't want to watch because from what I've heard it's ruined by unnecessary nudity/explicit sex.
Sorry, I must not speak your language because what you said here makes absolutely zero sense.
Posted by Qwerty
Member since Dec 2010
2114 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 7:02 pm to
quote:

Images/video are more explicit. But it's easier to skip ahead a couple of paragraphs here or there, and at least in the first book wasn't very often.
Posted by TigerintheNO
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2004
41167 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 7:05 pm to
quote:

Sorry, I must not speak your language because what you said here makes absolutely zero sense.

He might be talking about Lyros Tyrell?
Posted by Hugo Stiglitz
Member since Oct 2010
72937 posts
Posted on 5/2/13 at 7:07 pm to
quote:

Images/video are more explicit.

Not with my imagination

first pageprev pagePage 4 of 4Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram