Started By
Message

re: Fall Pre-Emergent - Generic Barricade Cheap

Posted on 9/21/26 at 1:18 pm to
Posted by jfw3535
South of Bunkie
Member since Mar 2008
5660 posts
Posted on 9/21/26 at 1:18 pm to
quote:

Not yet. Average soil temp for me is 82. I’ll wait till it gets closer to 70.

So my dilemma is that I have this weekend for a 2 week vacation. Should I put it down now before I go on vacation even though it's still pretty damn hot outside, or do I wait until October 12'ish to put it down after I get back from my trip. Given the current heat and extended forecast, I think I'll be good to wait, but don't want to miss my window. What would tigerdroppings do?

Location - Baton Rouge.
Posted by Ziggy
Member since Oct 2007
22159 posts
Posted on 9/21/26 at 1:51 pm to
quote:

jfw3535

With pre-emergent, I'm always of the opinion that a bit early is always better than a bit late.

I'm also a fan of split applications as well.

My 2 cents.
Posted by CrawDude
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2019
6069 posts
Posted on 9/21/26 at 3:10 pm to
quote:

So my dilemma is that I have this weekend for a 2 week vacation. Should I put it down now before I go on vacation even though it's still pretty damn hot outside, or do I wait until October 12'ish to put it down after I get back from my trip. Given the current heat and extended forecast, I think I'll be good to wait, but don't want to miss my window. What would tigerdroppings do? Location - Baton Rouge.

It won’t be activated unless you water it in and looks like little or no rain through the end of Sept. Flip a coin. If Poa has been an issue for you in the past you might apply before your trip, otherwise waiting until you return you’ll still be good.
Posted by Bayou
Boudin, LA
Member since Feb 2005
43918 posts
Posted on 9/21/26 at 7:28 pm to
Waiting for soil to be between 70 and 75 degrees.
Presently at 86.

Purchased Lesco 0-0-7 (prodiamine) from Lowe's
This post was edited on 9/22/26 at 6:33 am
Posted by PapaPogey
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2008
40642 posts
Posted on 9/24/26 at 11:40 am to
What's the recommendation for a yard with mostly bermuda and partial zoysia? In the past on all my st aug and centipede lawns, I've used Hi-Yield with Dimension, but now that I think about it, I didn't have the best results.

Anything else I should consider? Either granular or liquid doesn't matter much to me.
Posted by CrawDude
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2019
6069 posts
Posted on 9/24/26 at 1:14 pm to
quote:

What's the recommendation for a yard with mostly bermuda and partial zoysia? In the past on all my st aug and centipede lawns, I've used Hi-Yield with Dimension, but now that I think about it, I didn't have the best results. Anything else I should consider? Either granular or liquid doesn't matter much to me.

Dimension, Prodiamine, Simazine (fall/wnter), Specticle are all very effective and recommended for the four warm season turf grasses. If you didn’t have good results with Dimension you likely applied it too late - after many weed seeds germinated. It also needs to be watered in to be activated - if applied at the “right time” but during a dry period without watering it (rain or sprinklers) efficacy is going to the reduced.

Now there are some problematic winter weeds, lawn burweed comes to mind, where Dimension or Prodiamine is not very effective. Ditto for Doveweed, a warm season annual, in late spring. And no pre-emergent herbicide is going to be effective on perennial weeds, e.g., Virginia Buttonweed, Dallisgrass, etc.

Spray or granular - your choice if you have an option - though spray applications are usually much cheaper on a 1000 sq ft basis.

TLDR: time of application is important, and the weeds that give you most problems must be considered in pre-emergent herbicide selection.
Posted by PapaPogey
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2008
40642 posts
Posted on 9/24/26 at 2:02 pm to
Most of the issues in my yard are doveweed, VBW, and spurge, and a little bit of crabgrass mixed in.

my VBW has been managed pretty well with Celcius, just waiting on a little cooler weather to spray whatever is left standing
This post was edited on 9/24/26 at 2:04 pm
Posted by CrawDude
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2019
6069 posts
Posted on 9/24/26 at 8:11 pm to
quote:

Most of the issues in my yard are doveweed, VBW, and spurge, and a little bit of crabgrass mixed in. my VBW has been managed pretty well with Celcius, just waiting on a little cooler weather to spray whatever is left standing

Doveweed: Specticle pre-emergent; Celsius post-emergent

VBW: Celsius, MSM Turf, Weed Free Zone+ Atrazine post-emergents

Spurge: Dimension or Prodiamine pre-emergent; MSM Turf post-emergent
Posted by craazyjose
BTR
Member since Mar 2017
244 posts
Posted on 9/29/26 at 2:19 pm to
Yard is mostly St. Aug and located in BR. Planning to apply this week ahead of the rain...too early? Or good timing. ?
Posted by Ziggy
Member since Oct 2007
22159 posts
Posted on 9/29/26 at 2:39 pm to
quote:

too early? Or good timing. ?

SEND IT!

I did my first split app of Spec Flo a few weeks ago.
Posted by CrawDude
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2019
6069 posts
Posted on 9/29/26 at 2:48 pm to
quote:

Planning to apply this week ahead of the rain...too early? Or good timing. ?


Good timing….,,
Posted by TDsngumbo
Member since Oct 2011
52291 posts
Posted on 9/29/26 at 2:58 pm to
I haven't had luck with liquid spray pre-emergent so when I apply, I stick to the granules. Granules always seem to work better for me.
Posted by Bayou
Boudin, LA
Member since Feb 2005
43918 posts
Posted on 9/30/26 at 7:21 am to
quote:

Planning to apply this week ahead of the rain...too early? Or good timing. ?

I'm planning to lay it down Thursday prior to rain.
My question is does the present seriously dry ground come into play (or not).
I'd hate to have it all wash away on the surface and not penetrate the soil deep enough.
Posted by PapaPogey
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2008
40642 posts
Posted on 9/30/26 at 8:16 am to
Is it still not a little too warm?
Posted by RaginCajunz
Member since Mar 2009
7326 posts
Posted on 9/30/26 at 3:36 pm to
quote:

I'm planning to lay it down Thursday prior to rain.
My question is does the present seriously dry ground come into play (or not).
I'd hate to have it all wash away on the surface and not penetrate the soil deep enough.


That's where I am at. Plan on taking advantage of the rain using my cheap barricade. My understanding is it binds to the soil and I'm going to be applying it in a pump sprayer or with my hose-end. Will our projected rainfalls be too much?

Posted by Bayou
Boudin, LA
Member since Feb 2005
43918 posts
Posted on 9/30/26 at 7:32 pm to
quote:

Is it still not a little too warm?

It is. Thanks for making me look. This drought might have me laying this stuff down later than ever.
Current 24 hr average for me - 83 degrees
Posted by PapaPogey
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2008
40642 posts
Posted on 9/30/26 at 7:33 pm to
I was sorta thinking maybe a couple more weeks
Posted by Shorts Guy
BR
Member since Dec 2023
1105 posts
Posted on 9/30/26 at 9:59 pm to
quote:

Are you guy's putting down your fall applications now? I'm waiting a little more on the temp to drop.


I ordered mine today. Planning to get it down in the next two weeks. Prob closer to the two week mark. Big rain coming this weekend and I don’t want to do it before that.
This post was edited on 9/30/26 at 10:02 pm
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 2Next pagelast page
refresh

Back to top
logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on X, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

Facebook•X•Instagram