Started By
re: .

Posted on 10/13/21 at 9:34 pm to
Posted by sawtooth
Baton Rouge
Member since Jul 2017
3588 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 9:34 pm to
Except there is no government mandate…..
Posted by East Coast Band
Member since Nov 2010
62741 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 9:36 pm to
I'll be honest, reading that mandate from a company disturbs me.

I work at a company that has over 100 employees, but nothing has been mandated yet.
Posted by Cowboyfan89
Member since Sep 2015
12711 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 9:42 pm to
quote:

Look up Robert Barnes. Prominent lawyer and puts a lot on YouTube. Says the religious exemption is robust

And there's lawyers that will tell you employers have latitude to deny religious accommodations if it is adverse to the business.

Until these things start getting processed, we don't know how this is going to go. And every employer is probably going to handle them differently.
Posted by 1BIGTigerFan
100,000 posts
Member since Jan 2007
49107 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 9:49 pm to
There's a lot of work here in Houston. My company is always trying to find good people. We need to start a jobs board so we can see what people do and what type of work they're looking for.
Posted by Bamatab
Member since Jan 2013
15108 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 9:57 pm to
quote:

Except there is no government mandate…..

There is a mandate for government workers and government contractors.
Posted by Bamatab
Member since Jan 2013
15108 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:13 pm to
quote:

and proof fetal tissue was used(during testing), along with each fetal cell line ID.

Be careful when siting fetal cell testing as part of your religious exemption. I have read where some companies will ask if you use other over the counter medication that has used similar testing practices in order to gauge the "sincerity" of your belief.

Here is one from Conway Regional Health System:

I got that from NPR's website, so take it for what it's worth (which probably shouldn't be much since it is NPR).
This post was edited on 10/13/21 at 10:18 pm
Posted by voodoodawg
MAGA
Member since Sep 2012
658 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:17 pm to
Thanks Flex!
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57120 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:20 pm to
I like how they hide behind a "federal mandate" that does not yet exist.
Posted by Pechon
unperson
Member since Oct 2011
7748 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:26 pm to
I'm no lawyer but I do notice the language "fetal cell lines" and not "aborted fetal cell lines". In addition to being no lawyer, I'm not a catechist either but I would imagine other fetal cells could come sources that don't involve killing a human being.

Edit: Just from my perspective but I am a lapsed Catholic and no expert on the catechism. I mean, I know the Pope is all about hey it's a good idea but I would imagine a devout Catholic would take the higher road. The relationship is between you and Christ, not the person who gets to be Bishop of Rome.

Second, aren't there laws where your employer can't just ask you about your current and past medical history? I would imagine over the counter drugs would fall in that category.
This post was edited on 10/13/21 at 10:30 pm
Posted by Cowboyfan89
Member since Sep 2015
12711 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:29 pm to
quote:

Second, aren't there laws where your employer can't just ask you about your current and past medical history? I would imagine over the counter drugs would fall in that category.

They can't ask your doctor. They can ask you.
Posted by Bamatab
Member since Jan 2013
15108 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:34 pm to
quote:

I like how they hide behind a "federal mandate" that does not yet exist.

The mandate for all government workers and government contractors does exist. The language calling out the mandate is being put in all government contracts, new and existing.
Posted by Eurocat
Member since Apr 2004
15036 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:35 pm to
Things won't stop if people don't file grievances and lawsuits challenging these things in court and claiming a hostile work environment exists.

Posted by FlexDawg
Member since Jan 2018
12812 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:39 pm to
quote:

Be careful when siting fetal cell testing as part of your religious exemption. I have read where some companies will ask if you use other over the counter medication that has used similar testing practices in order to gauge the "sincerity" of your belief.

Here is one from Conway Regional Health System:

I’ve seen that before. I know to deny taking any of those medications. Honestly though, my wife gets mad at me all the time because I refuse to take medication for any symptoms I may be having. I would rather allow my body to fight it naturally. I tell her all the time that my liver is probably in much better shape because I don’t inhale pain relievers all the time like she does.
Posted by Double Oh
Louisiana
Member since Sep 2008
17768 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:39 pm to
I would just start looking for another job screw your employer.
Posted by Bamatab
Member since Jan 2013
15108 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:43 pm to
quote:

I'm no lawyer

Neither am I, I just posted what I found. I have no idea as to the validity of the NPR article, or the legal ramifications of any of this. It's being rushed out by the government so fast that I don't know if anyone really knows the legal ramifications for any of this, including the government and the contractor companies themselves.

Hell, a Maine judge just ruled that Maine can prohibit religious exemptions to its COVID-19 vaccine mandate for healthcare workers, which one would think would be a definite violation of religious liberties. Maine judge rules Maine can prohibit religious exemptions
Posted by GumboPot
Member since Mar 2009
118691 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:50 pm to
There is no government mandate.

WTF? The first sentence in your company letter is a lie.
Posted by Pechon
unperson
Member since Oct 2011
7748 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:52 pm to
To be fair I'm not surprised that this would even be real. It somewhat smells of some corporate CYA bullcrap that usually backfires.

I'll be dead honest, if I said my own religion where I just worship the sun by drinking a cup of coffee during the sunrise and the sun tells me "don't get the jab" then that should end the argument.

Never thought I'd see it, but we are seeing people actually "going Galt".
Posted by GumboPot
Member since Mar 2009
118691 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:54 pm to
quote:

There is a mandate for government workers and government contractors.

Then say that. Words have meaning. Use the right words.
Posted by Cowboyfan89
Member since Sep 2015
12711 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:55 pm to
quote:

Hell, a Maine judge just ruled that Maine can prohibit religious exemptions to its COVID-19 vaccine mandate for healthcare workers,

The only way I could remotely see this being legal is if they are claiming unvaccinated workers pose a risk to public safety or something along those lines.

I feel like that article isn't telling the entire story.
Posted by Bamatab
Member since Jan 2013
15108 posts
Posted on 10/13/21 at 10:57 pm to
quote:

There is no government mandate.

People keep saying this, but I'm pretty sure that Biden signed an Executive Order to require all federal executive branch workers to receive the vaccine. I'm also pretty sure that Biden signed an Executive Order that requires this mandate for employees of contactors that do business with the federal government. And I know for a fact that language (or similar language) is being put in all government contracts, new and existing.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram