Posted on 1/17/19 at 1:03 pm to
Posted by NASA_ISS_Tiger
Huntsville, Al via Sulphur, LA
Member since Sep 2005
7981 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 1:03 pm to
Vital?

Highly subjective at best.
The SMEs are contractors too. I'm a SME in my role. I was a SME in Operations too. My NASA Branches could only dream to know what I knew in Operations. If you would have said "contract subject matter experts" I could have met you halfway....but that's what the Contracts guys get paid for.

So...if we reduce NASA to contract officers...you've reduced NASA by 80%. Thank you for realizing how bloated some of the government is.

But again...they don't produce. They might REVIEW. They might Comment...but produce something that is mission critical? Nope. You need to work in the government sector to appreciate what I'm talking about. And if you're a Civil Servant...you're just trying to justify your existence.
Posted by KiwiHead
Auckland, NZ
Member since Jul 2014
27521 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 1:11 pm to
quote:

an oppressive government that cold their regulatory power over our head for the sole purpose of protecting their own

You actually believe that shite? Don't know if that was in jest. But we love to rail against the oppressive regulatory power of government. Dude, go anyplace else in the world and get back to me about regulations and bureaucratic stalemate. It's infinitely better to deal with the Federal bureaucracy here in the states vs just about anyplace else in the developed or developing world.

The barriers to getting things done via the US govt is a lot less by a factor of 3 to 4 versus Europe even. Comparatively we are pretty damned easy to do business with even with federal bureaucrats.....I'll even go further, the Feds are better overall than the states when it comes to dealing with bureaucratic red tape . Not to say there isn't some bloat .
Posted by jnethe1
Pearland
Member since Dec 2012
16143 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 1:18 pm to
Wow, you perfectly stated what I was thinking. Bravo.
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 1:23 pm to
quote:

Excellent indicator that government is too big to begin with.

Agreed on the breweries. But who should issue permits for use of federal land other than the federal government?
Posted by Sid in Lakeshore
Member since Oct 2008
41956 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 1:26 pm to
quote:

But again...they don't produce. They might REVIEW. They might Comment...but produce something that is mission critical? Nope. You need to work in the government sector to appreciate what I'm talking about. And if you're a Civil Servant...you're just trying to justify your existence.

Shame on NASA for relying on SMEs with greater knowledge.

I'm a Govt SME. What ever you do for NASA is NOT THE SAME as what I do. Certainly we may both review reports, Plans & Specifications but that is where it likely stops.

I speak for the government. When I make a decision it is binding. Industry needs to be able to rely on that. If you, as a contractor, think you are speaking for the Govt, I suspect you are mistaken.

I interpret the various vague codes, decide what is a minimum standard that the Govt will accept and relay that decision to Industry. When, US standards are non-existent I am looked upon to decide what will be the minimum design standard. I work closely with industry and academia to ensure safe and effective designs, it's pretty much cutting edge work.

Again. Some things are inherently Governmental. Decision making being one of those.

If you don't believe that Contracting Officers produce anything I'm not sure what to tell you. I guess Lawyers don't produce anything either, doctors? I mean they are not in manufacturing. You just stated you are an SME who "reviews"..... Are YOU a producer or a taker?
Posted by Sid in Lakeshore
Member since Oct 2008
41956 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 1:31 pm to
quote:

KiwiHead

Thank You KIWI.

1) We just completed a comparison of NEPA regulations with UK and the Netherlands. US compared favorably (less oppressive).

2) About the ONLY state with adequate technical capability to regulate properly is California (which is why most states just cite their regs…), but there bureaucracy makes FED GOV look like child's play.

3) when you go outside the US, 85% of the words Governments will be looking for a BRIBE and nothing more.
Posted by KiwiHead
Auckland, NZ
Member since Jul 2014
27521 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 1:51 pm to
quote:

1) We just completed a comparison of NEPA regulations with UK and the Netherlands. US compared favorably (less oppressive).

In a former life I used to handle contracts internationally mostly in Europe that involved complex securities filings, etc and I would rather deal with US regulators any day. Most of them want to show you ways to get a project fast tracked and tell you on the front end what is needed etc. In Europe for example, I would get stips piecemeal or they would get "modified" at some point during the process . I did not find that all that much in the US....not to say that sometimes it did not happen , but it was rare.

Anyone who says we don't need some regulation in markets only needs to look at your industry in the early days with hundreds of oil wells bunched up near each other that led to over production and periodic market chaos.

The trick is finding the effective level of regulation. Sometimes it is needed in order t protect the the viability of a particular market like O&G
Posted by MisslePig
Member since Jul 2018
961 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 2:08 pm to
quote:

Why do people still believe that shutdowns

I have not been affected, nor has anyone I know. At all.
Posted by KiwiHead
Auckland, NZ
Member since Jul 2014
27521 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 2:12 pm to
quote:

I do and this person and her pod are people you want on the job doing their jobs
Posted by Gaston
Dirty Coast
Member since Aug 2008
39011 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 2:18 pm to
Design standards? Like civil, or piping and vessels?

Why would industry have design standards for space flight hardware?

I’m missing what you’re putting down, but the GOV standards I usually deal with are typically cut and paste jobs so terribly done that they are unenforceable. You do Specs Intact?
This post was edited on 1/17/19 at 2:23 pm
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 2:23 pm to
quote:

Why is that relevant? The Trump WH is indicating that the shutdown is affecting economic growth. Do you dispute that? Yes or no

I bet you also aren't affected by the tax rate of the top income bracket. Does that mean you shouldn't care about it?
This post was edited on 1/17/19 at 2:25 pm
Posted by Centinel
Idaho
Member since Sep 2016
43337 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 2:26 pm to
quote:

But who should issue permits for use of federal land other than the federal government?

You're correct here. But I'd also add there's far too much federal land to begin with.

Posted by roadGator
Member since Feb 2009
140468 posts
Posted on 1/17/19 at 2:35 pm to
quote:

my customers

Wut?
first pageprev pagePage 5 of 5Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram