Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:26 pm to
The electoral college ensures that 8 cities don't control the entire country
Posted by Antonio Moss
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2006
48327 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:27 pm to
quote:

It’s equivalent to people thinking their votes doesn’t count and therefore not showing up. It’s not coincidence bro

Now you’ve changed your argument from “votes don’t count” to “people’s perception that their votes don’t count.”

Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:34 pm to
quote:

You fundamentally misunderstand the EC. States already have this power if they so chose to exercise it

No I don’t. States can split up their electoral votes but the number of votes that a state has is still based on the population of that state, giving some states with smaller populations an advantage. Thus a rural vote in Wyoming is still weighted more heavily than a rural vote in New York State, even if electors divvy up the votes in both cases.

I’m talking about redrawing the entire electoral college, not based on state lines at all. Based on county.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 4:36 pm
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:37 pm to
As I said before the electoral college doesn’t benefit rural voters. It benefits rural voters in certain states with low populations. It does nothing for small town folks in Texas or New York. That’s the reality.
Posted by genro
Member since Nov 2011
61788 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:40 pm to
7 straight hours you've been at this thread. Get a technical degree man, you'll make more and actually serve a positive purpose in the world. The shilling game ain't good for the soul.
Posted by Rogers Hog
Member since Dec 2010
335 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:43 pm to
if the EC goes away you give up all protections of our civil liberty. By placing our elections in the hands of the majority they can simply demand from the next candidates any ridiculous payback for their vote. What would be the option then if say the big cities demanded that small farm states start providing a portion of their crops free to the masses?
Posted by FooManChoo
Member since Dec 2012
41703 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:45 pm to
quote:

No I don’t. States can split up their electoral votes but the number of votes that a state has is still based on the population of that state, giving some states with smaller populations an advantage. Thus a rural vote in Wyoming is still weighted more heavily than a rural vote in New York State, even if electors divvy up the votes in both cases.
The only ones who care about the "advantage" you are talking about are the ones who already wanted to move to a NPV because there's no real advantage to be had as a citizen living in the state of Wyoming. What does it matter if their vote has more "weight" or "power" or "force" or whatever word you want to use if the end result is 3 electoral votes out of over 500?

The compromise rewards states with higher populations while giving a little bit of a say to those states with very small populations. In the end, Wyoming still has a say for the POTUS, even if it's a small one compared to California or New York. At the same time, California still has a very, very big say in who becomes POTUS because they have a lot of people. They just aren't given such a big say that they can bully the rest of the country. And that's perfectly in-line with the founders' thinking on governance.
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:45 pm to
quote:

Now you’ve changed your argument from “votes don’t count” to “people’s perception that their votes don’t count.”

Nope. Votes count for less in some states. Anddd the perception can be even less too if it’s heavily red or blue. Not mutually exclusive
Posted by FooManChoo
Member since Dec 2012
41703 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:49 pm to
quote:

As I said before the electoral college doesn’t benefit rural voters. It benefits rural voters in certain states with low populations. It does nothing for small town folks in Texas or New York. That’s the reality.
It's not meant to benefit rural voters or urban voters. It's meant to let states retain a say. The Constitution doesn't even guarantee that voters will have a say in how their states choose the President because the intent was always that the states were the ones who chose, not necessarily all the people of each state, though the states could allow that if they chose, as all have.
Posted by Antonio Moss
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2006
48327 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:05 pm to
quote:

I’m talking about redrawing the entire electoral college, not based on state lines at all. Based on county.

The entire basis of the EC is maintain state power over the federal government. Like I said, you fundamentally misunderstand the EC.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 5:31 pm
Posted by Antonio Moss
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2006
48327 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:09 pm to
quote:

Nope. Votes count for less in some states.

Only in a national popular vote sense which we don’t have and never had. And you originally said that votes don’t count as much in swing states. So you’ve changed your argument again.

quote:

Anddd the perception can be even less too if it’s heavily red or blue. Not mutually exclusive

Perception is irrelevant.
Posted by Centinel
Idaho
Member since Sep 2016
43341 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:13 pm to
quote:

The entire basis of the EC is maintain state power over the federal government. Like I said, you fundamentalists misunderstand the EC.

So much this. Which is why many pages ago I told OP he really needs to read the Federalist and Anti-federalist Papers.

His ignorance is rather apparent.

Posted by BBONDS25
Member since Mar 2008
48454 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:15 pm to
Liberals hate the Constitution
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:17 pm to
quote:

The entire basis of the EC is maintain state power over the federal government. Like I said, you fundamentalists misunderstand the EC.

The problem is that you “fundamentally” do not understand what I am saying. I know that the small states went to the constitutional convention and cried that they wouldn’t have any power in federal elections. So they got the EC. I get it.

However, that has somehow morphed into posters saying things like “we don’t want the top 20 metros to elect the President” or “rural voters can’t be ignored.”

These statements are asinine because they ignore the fact that the EC only benefits states with low populations. Not rural areas.

If you live in an “urban area” like Wilmington, DE, you benefit from the EC. If you live in a rural town in Texas, no benefit.

The EC is all about states, not urban vs rural areas. Hell, DC gets 3 electoral votes!

My contention is that the EC does more harm than good by putting a laser focus on certain areas during national elections. It alienates a lot of Americans, including rural and urban folks who don’t live in a handful of areas

Posted by TigerNAtux
Louisiana
Member since Dec 2007
17112 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:17 pm to
I didn’t feel like 223 downvotes was enough.

So, I gave you another.

Posted by 3nOut
Central Texas, TX
Member since Jan 2013
28949 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:21 pm to
Thanks for reminding me. I don’t normally downvote but when I do it’s for really stupid shite. 235 now.

The forever moving goal posts of the American left.

Popular vote, add 3 more justices, nuclear option, impeach, protest, and threaten.
Posted by GeorgeWest
Baton Rouge
Member since Nov 2013
13093 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:26 pm to
The reason for the EC is to keep the POTUS office from being popularly decided. It has little to do with state power. The Senate was created to preserve the power of the states in the legislative process.

Beginning in the 1820s, the move away from what the FF's wanted was slow but steady. It was the movement toward popular control as "We, the people..." suggests. It began with some states allowing their Electors to be decided by a popular vote. By the 1850s every state did that. The EC the FF's envisioned was a goner by the 1850s.

After the CWar, slowly but surely some states began allowing their voters to directly elect US Senators instead of the corrupt state legislatures of those days. in 1913, the 17th Amendment spread that practice to all the states.

The trend in our history has been, for almost 200 years, toward democratization of our election process and legislative bodies. The EC won't be around in another 100 years. I am sorry I wont be there to see it abolished.

To the folks who suggest that, with no EC, the election would boil down to 8 cities votes. You are wrong. WITH the EC our election boils down to 8 close/swing states. The rest of us who live elsewhere have little input into what issues the campaign is fought on and what positions the candidates take. With no EC, every vote in every state would count exactly the same.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 5:27 pm
Posted by FooManChoo
Member since Dec 2012
41703 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:31 pm to
quote:

My contention is that the EC does more harm than good by putting a laser focus on certain areas during national elections.
The intent is to give states a say in electing the President. In that sense, it has done a good job over the last few hundred years.

quote:

It alienates a lot of Americans
It alienates no one since all states allow for a popular vote to determine each states' chosen electors. Every vote counts the same in each state. Those who feel alienated are not alienated. Reality and how you feel about reality are often times different.

quote:

including rural and urban folks who don’t live in a handful of areas
Rural folk might still feel alienated with a NPV if due to limited time and resources Presidential candidates spend the vast majority of their time in inner cities vying for votes.

A NPV does not solve anything. It just shifts what you perceive as a problem from the states to the individuals.

If you're concerned about fairness, why not lobby for all state legislatures to take back responsibility for electing Presidents rather than allowing every person to vote? That would be equal, right? Every person votes for state representatives who in turn elect the President. Everyone gets a vote and every vote is equal.
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57317 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:32 pm to
quote:

3 / 580,000 people = X * 55 / 40,000,000

X = about 4
Posted by Taxing Authority
Houston
Member since Feb 2010
57317 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 5:34 pm to
quote:

A straight popular vote would focus power, prosperity, and the nation's well being in the sole hands of a handful of huge states
It would be down to huge cities. As in a handful of them. But hey, it would totally screw the swing states. The way to stop those states from having too much power is to concentrate power into even smaller areas. It’s an awesome cure!! The cure concentrated power is... MOAR concentrated power.

I’ve learned a lot in this thread.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 5:35 pm
first pageprev pagePage 16 of 17Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram