Started By
re: .

Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:29 am to
Posted by LSU Patrick
Member since Jan 2009
73472 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:29 am to
Forget about the Hispanic vote. The GOP will not win the Hispanic vote no matter what. If you are going to run a Rubio or a Cruz, do it because of their conservatism not because of their ethnicity.
Posted by MJM
Member since Aug 2007
2485 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:31 am to
Rubio is Cuban and Cruz is canadian
Posted by HailHailtoMichigan!
Mission Viejo, CA
Member since Mar 2012
69261 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:31 am to
quote:

democrats are the party of highly educated.
Post grads tend to be employed by universities. It's no wonder they vote heavily for the candidate more likely to support public funding
Posted by Hawkeye95
Member since Dec 2013
20293 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:33 am to
quote:

Post grads tend to be employed by universities. It's no wonder they vote heavily for the candidate more likely to support public funding

Of my friends, I would say at least half have a masters degree or PHD. And none of them are employed by universities.
Posted by Lakeboy7
New Orleans
Member since Jul 2011
23965 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:36 am to
quote:

Nope. Most of the post grads I know are out making money. And voting for Democrats.
Mission Viejo, CA
Member since Mar 2012
69261 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:36 am to
I can't remember where I found it, but I saw same Data that showed that Republicans win graduates of business school, while democrats win every other post grad group.

If you just look at college graduates though, republicans actually are really competitive with democrats.

I, for one, don't understand how Romney can win those with income of 100k and up by such wide margins, yet not dominate among college graduates.

And lakeboy, you gotta be fricking kidding me. Those who make big bucks overwhelmingly vote republican, along with the upper middle class. One of my political science professors once said that in the history of American politics, there has been one constant: Rich people voting republican.
This post was edited on 5/19/14 at 11:39 am
Posted by Hawkeye95
Member since Dec 2013
20293 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:40 am to
quote:

I, for one, don't understand how Romney can win those with income of 100k and up by such wide margins, yet not dominate among college graduates.

Romney won 100k+ 54-44, and college degree 51-47. Its not that different.

Especially when you factor in that older people generally have higher incomes than younger people. And romney won 45 and over by similar margins. Older people are less likely to be college educated.

I see no issue.

I think the problem for the republicans is that they won old white people by large margins and were not particularly competitive among other sections of the population. As time goes on, old white people are going to be a shrinking portion of our demographics.
Mission Viejo, CA
Member since Mar 2012
69261 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:42 am to
quote:

As time goes on, old white people are going to be a shrinking portion of our demographics.
, do people not age? As long as there are young white people, there will be older white people. And usually as you get older, you get more conservative.
Mission Viejo, CA
Member since Mar 2012
69261 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:44 am to
quote:

Romney won 100k+ 54-44, and college degree 51-47.
, that's gotta be one of the worst republican performances among rich people in the history of the party.
Posted by Hawkeye95
Member since Dec 2013
20293 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:48 am to
quote:

, do people not age? As long as there are young white people, there will be older white people. And usually as you get older, you get more conservative.

There are fewer younger white people now than 20 years ago. The population is turning brown. White people don't have kids at the same rates as non whites.
Posted by LSU Patrick
Member since Jan 2009
73472 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:49 am to
quote:

Rubio is Cuban and Cruz is canadian

Okay?
Posted by Y.A. Tittle
Member since Sep 2003
101321 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 11:50 am to
quote:

I can't remember where I found it, but I saw same Data that showed that Republicans win graduates of business school, while democrats win every other post grad group.

I have to imagine, if they currently have a majority of medical doctors, that's gotta be turning soon.
Posted by NHTIGER
Central New Hampshire
Member since Nov 2003
16188 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 12:10 pm to
quote:

I think the problem for the republicans is that they won old white people by large margins and were not particularly competitive among other sections of the population.

Can't interpret the 2012 election without addressing the gender issue. Obama won women by 9 points and Romney won men by 9 points, a demographic factor that can only improve for Republicans by putting up more candidates that can appeal to women without pandering to "women's issues". There are more women than men, and a higher percentage of women vote than men.

Just watch this board over a period of time. Almost all male and many who pride themselves on being non-voters.

Romney (52%) beat Obama with female college grads. So considering that Obama won females by 9 points and yet lost among college-degreed females, and considering that females made up 54% of the 2012 electorate, it's pretty clear where the ground must be made up. Get just 2-3 percentage points more of the overall female vote and the uphill challenge for Republicans with minorities can be overcome in 2016.

If Clinton runs and is the nominee, does that task become impossible? Not at all. She won just 50% of the 2008 primaries vote against men. She is not an endearing human being, politics aside. Downplay social issues as much as possible, don't fall into the usual media traps, and a solid nominee can definitely defeat her in 2016.
This post was edited on 5/19/14 at 12:21 pm
Posted by Hawkeye95
Member since Dec 2013
20293 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 12:26 pm to
quote:

Can't interpret the 2012 election without addressing the gender issue. Obama won women by 9 points and Romney won men by 9 points, a demographic factor that can only improve for Republicans by putting up more candidates that can appeal to women without pandering to "women's issues". There are more women than men, and a higher percentage of women vote than men.

Just watch this board over a period of time. Almost all male and many who pride themselves on being non-voters.

Romney (52%) beat Obama with female college grads. So considering that Obama won females by 9 points and yet lost among college-degreed females, and considering that females made up 54% of the 2012 electorate, it's pretty clear where the ground must be made up. Get just a couple percent more of the white female vote and the uphill challenge for Republicans with minorities can be overcome.

Yes, I do think that woman are an area where republicans can make inroads. The thing is its still closely mirrors the race angle. Romney won white women by 56/38. He was slightly better with white men (62/35).

the republicans can gain some ground by appealing to woman, and if romney wins white woman at the same clip he wins white men, he might just be president (depending on electoral math, b.c they would essentially be tied). With that said, they might have reached the ceiling on white woman, In my experience woman are more liberal than men as a whole.

The thing is that obama won non-whites by huge margins, and these are the increasing part of the population.
Posted by Easternrio
Member since May 2014
3755 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 12:26 pm to
Zack is racist
Posted by CptBengal
BR Baby
Member since Dec 2007
71661 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 12:30 pm to
quote:

Paul/Napolitano

FAP
Posted by ragincajun03
Member since Nov 2007
21182 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 12:36 pm to
quote:

Not according to Jindal. Stop being the stupid party, dumbass

Jindal has been such a fraud on the issues he campaigned on the most (no good ole boy network, NGO funding) that I don't give a frick what he has to say.

Oh...and during that speech, he said the GOP should be the populist party. Yet, his biggest supporters and water-carriers in LA rave against the populist movement which brought in the Longs and The Felon.
Posted by Zach
Gizmonic Institute
Member since May 2005
112423 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 12:46 pm to
quote:

Jindal has been such a fraud on the issues he campaigned on the most (no good ole boy network, NGO funding) that I don't give a frick what he has to say.

Damn straight. Right on! We should have elected Box of Tide!!!

Posted by ragincajun03
Member since Nov 2007
21182 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 12:49 pm to
quote:

Damn straight. Right on! We should have elected Box of Tide!!!

Yep. Right on! And fiscal conservatives who eventually felt betrayed by GW Bush should have voted for Gore or Kerry instead!
Posted by HubbaBubba
F_uck Joe Biden, TX
Member since Oct 2010
45715 posts
Posted on 5/19/14 at 1:58 pm to
Peter King / Lindsey Graham

Just kidding!

We would be SO fricked.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram