re: .

Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:00 pm to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:00 pm to
quote:

I mean, he's making about $13k per episode.
isn't the blonde from the big bang theory (which I don't watch) making like a million dollars an episode

I guess she should just pack her bags and head for the retirement home.

I don't want to say that these guys are chickenshit, they carve out a nice living and make good money, and I enjoy what some of them do...but they're constantly comparing themselves to these media giants that make a lot more money and are super fricking famous calling them "irrelevant"
Posted by upgrayedd
Lifting at Tobin's house
Member since Mar 2013
134845 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:01 pm to
quote:

And Sam Harris is for sure one of them. I agree with him on quite a bit but my goodness he's an ego maniac.

To be fair, 95% of people at his intellectual level are as well.
Posted by StrongBackWeakMind
Member since May 2014
22650 posts
You seem awfully bothered by these podcasters.

If they bother you to this extent, don't listen.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
quote:

That's why traditional media is getting left in the dust
see this is what i'm talking about... on what do you base this?

Posted by upgrayedd
Lifting at Tobin's house
Member since Mar 2013
134845 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:03 pm to
quote:

see this is what i'm talking about... on what do you base this?

MSNBC and CNN viewership has been declining for a while now.
Posted by More beer please
Member since Feb 2010
45045 posts
quote:

isn't the blonde from the big bang theory (which I don't watch) making like a million dollars an episode

Yeah but yet she is employed by a company and answers to the directors and producers who also answer to others.

Podcasters/Youtubers are their own boss and there is no middle man. Im not sure whats so hard to understand about this.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
quote:

You seem awfully bothered by these podcasters
I actually like some of them (sam harris and dave rubin I quite enjoy)...I can buy the argument that this is the beginning of something bigger, but then you have people who say "traditional media is being left in the dust"

since when is being broadcast to millions of people being left in the dust by people broadcasting to thousands of people?
Posted by colorchangintiger
Dan Carlin
Member since Nov 2005
30979 posts
Are you really comparing Kaley Cuoco to Sam Harris?
Member since May 2014
22650 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:04 pm to
People are cancelling TV subscriptions by the hundreds of thousands every quarter.
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422119 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:05 pm to
quote:

i mean hedge fund managers can make a billion a year, which applies about as much as your comparison

quote:

.but they're constantly comparing themselves to these media giants that make a lot more money and are super fricking famous calling them "irrelevant"

Network news weekly ratings

ABC won the week of April 3 with 7,930,000

h3h3 video from April 2

March 31

April 12

This post was edited on 4/17/17 at 1:05 pm
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Member since Jan 2004
422119 posts
quote:

To be fair, 95% of people at his intellectual level are as well.

yeah we can't help it. you all just come off as ants
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
quote:

Podcasters/Youtubers are their own boss and there is no middle man. Im not sure whats so hard to understand about this.

I get that being advantageous for talent, but that doesn't make you "more relevant"

in terms of raw total, podcasting is no joke, but instead of being split between 100s of choices, you have millions of choices, so no one individual is leaving anyone in the dust...and at the same time, tv and radio have not had their audience sizes affected by it.
Posted by Hester Carries
Member since Sep 2012
22402 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:06 pm to
I mean... Casey Neistat is doing pretty damn well for himself.
Member since May 2014
22650 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:06 pm to
quote:

at the same time, tv and radio have not had their audience sizes affected by it
Well that's wrong.
Posted by slackster
Houston
Member since Mar 2009
84755 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:07 pm to
quote:

but then you have people who say "traditional media is being left in the dust" since when is being broadcast to millions of people being left in the dust by people broadcasting to thousands of people?

To be fair, those thousands of people who listen to a podcast or watch a video are actively searching out these people 99% of the time, while traditional media has a ton of passive viewership (for lack of a better phrase.

Plug any blabbering idiot into most time slots and you'll get similar viewership numbers.

ETA: To put it another way, the amount of passionate fans of Joe Rogan probably outnumber the passionate fans of Bret Baier.
This post was edited on 4/17/17 at 1:11 pm
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Member since Jan 2004
422119 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:08 pm to
quote:

since when is being broadcast to millions of people being left in the dust by people broadcasting to thousands of people?

LINK

quote:

Viewership for long form video content, such as movies and television on a TV screen has declined by 13% globally over the past year, and by 11% in the United States. Similarly, the report found sports viewership on TV screens declined by 10% globally and nine percent in the United States. Television was the only product category to see uniform, double-digit usage declines across different types of media worldwide among viewers of nearly all ages. It is rapidly being replaced as consumers turn to a combination of laptops, desktops, tablets and smartphones to view video content.

Nearly all age brackets reported double-digit declines in TV viewing globally, with 14- to 17-year-olds abandoning the TV screen at the rate of 33% for movies and television shows and 26% for sporting events. This decline continues for 18- to 34-year-olds at 14% for movies and television shows and 12% for sporting events, and for 35- to 54-year-olds, at 11 and nine percent, respectively. It does, however, flatten among the 55 and older crowd, at six percent and one percent respectively.

LINK

quote:

Television had a good run, but it may be time to change the channel. With more than one billion hours of viewership every day, YouTube looks set to soon surpass TV as the most watched format in the U.S.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the online video platform has seen a 10-fold increase in viewership over the past five years, due in part to the use of artificial intelligence to predict user preferences and keep people tuned in.

quote:

According to Nielsen data, American viewers watch about 1.25 billion hours of TV every day, and the figure is declining year-on-year. With YouTube viewership steadily on the rise, it’s only a matter of time before the Internet outpaces the tube.

suck MY dick, boy
Posted by OWLFAN86
The OT has made me richer
Member since Jun 2004
175727 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:10 pm to
Peeej looked nice all dressed up and clean for the podcast.

the secret is either really dumb or really smart guests
Posted by colorchangintiger
Dan Carlin
Member since Nov 2005
30979 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:11 pm to
quote:

yeah we can't help it. you all just come off as ants

quote:

I agree with him on quite a bit but my goodness he's an ego maniac.

I must be one of them because I've never gotten this impression.
Posted by Kafka
I am the moral conscience of TD
Member since Jul 2007
141785 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:11 pm to
quote:

I hear the guy talking about things as if he has some kind of major influence over public opinion. he's literally sitting in his room talking to himself
where is rush limbaugh?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/17/17 at 1:13 pm to
yeah that dude is big on youtube. now is he leaving abc news (and that's just one ratings book) in the dust?

nooooope. that's a difference of over 5 million people
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram