Started By
re: .

Posted on 12/25/16 at 5:29 pm to
Posted by StrongBackWeakMind
Member since May 2014
22650 posts
Posted on 12/25/16 at 5:29 pm to
quote:

Holy balls what a millenial thing to say.
Why?
quote:

Make a division winner go on the road in Round 1 of the playoffs?!?!?
What's so crazy about that?

I don't have a problem with the current setup, but I think ranking the teams by best overall record would be better. Acting like it's some crazy far-out idea to rank teams by best record is pretty silly.
This post was edited on 12/25/16 at 5:34 pm
Posted by Overbrook
Member since May 2013
6086 posts
Posted on 12/25/16 at 10:14 pm to
Then get rid of divisions. But if you have divisions the champion > wild card
Posted by CelticDog
Member since Apr 2015
42867 posts
Posted on 12/25/16 at 10:22 pm to
dudes

the schedule pits bad teams against bad teams, based on last years record.

all also play their division and some division from the other conference, i.e. AFL/NFL

if you play half your games against bad teams, you have a shot to win your division.

that's just the way it is. teams that finished #1 and #2 last year, play the other 1's and 2's. teams that finished last, play the other last place teams.

Therefore, a lousy team can eke into the playoffs, or even win its division.
they get crushed the next season.
This post was edited on 12/25/16 at 10:23 pm
Posted by chalmetteowl
Chalmette
Member since Jan 2008
47509 posts
Posted on 12/26/16 at 8:01 am to
quote:

the schedule pits bad teams against bad teams, based on last years record.

you know that's only 2 out of 16 games... the other 14 are the same for every team in a division
Posted by Y.A. Tittle
Member since Sep 2003
101322 posts
Posted on 12/26/16 at 8:38 am to
quote:

I disagree with OP. Winning the division should be worth something more than just saying you won the division. I like that there is a reward.

The reward is an automatic playoff berth regardless of your record. Playoff seeding should be by record, though. There's really very little persuasive argument to say otherwise.
Posted by Wayne Campbell
Aurora, IL
Member since Oct 2011
6368 posts
Posted on 12/26/16 at 8:58 am to
quote:

Oakland wins the AFCW, they will have won it by going through a season that featured two games vs Kansas City.

That they lost. KC could actually go undefeated in the AFC West and NOT win the division.

Posted by ballscaster
Member since Jun 2013
26861 posts
Posted on 12/26/16 at 3:13 pm to
quote:

KC could actually go undefeated in the AFC West and NOT win the division.
Then they should win more of those games if they want a home game.

See the forest for the trees, folks. Everything about the playoff schedule is a way of rewarding the top seeds. Think about it: New England will be the #1 seed, so they get:
- a bye
- the earliest time slot in the divisional round vs the lowest remaining seed
- home field in divisional and championship rounds
- a bracket that is extra difficult for any non-divisional winner, should there be a top-tier wild card such as Oakland

If you don't win your division, you haven't earned a playoff berth, but rather have been given one by the market's desire for more games than the division champs allow.

This is a silly thing to whine about, and it makes perfect sense.
Posted by forever lsu30
Member since Nov 2005
3954 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 1:18 am to
Because millenials don't understand that you have to win the hand you're dealt in life to get ahead.
The league is set up to reward the division winners. You want the reward? Win your division.

You want a raise at work? Do more work.

If you start to take away the reward for winning your division then you take away the reason for a division at all. Having a division system is what keeps the NFL competitive & provides for the fairest/balanced season long schedule as possible year in & year out.
Member since May 2014
22650 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:34 am to

Always goes back to those pesky millennials.

Have an idea to improve something?

"Shut the frick up and play the hand you're dealt. Improvement is for pussies."

ETA: Also, screw those damn millennials that made the changes to the NFL rules that resulted in the pass-happy NFL. Bunch of pussies. I liked it better when you could actually play defense.

ETA2: Hold up, those were the millennials, right? It's not possible that another generation made improvements (or so they thought) to the game. Other generations played with the hand they were dealt. Changing the rules never crossed their mind.

ETA3: Link to history of NFL rule changes. fricking millennials, am I right?
This post was edited on 12/27/16 at 6:56 am
Posted by cubsfan5150
Member since Nov 2007
15756 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 9:08 am to
If there's no incentive to win your division, just get rid of the divisions then.
Posted by TH03
Mogadishu
Member since Dec 2008
171036 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 9:15 am to
quote:

Bullcrap... If the Saints won the division at 7-9 and got A home game you would be estatic.......

Eh maybe happy for the playoff game, but ecstatic at 7-9? Nah not really. Just another normal season for Sean lately. Still a middle of the road draft pick, but nowhere near sniffing a title.
Posted by TH03
Mogadishu
Member since Dec 2008
171036 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 9:16 am to
quote:

Because millenials don't understand that you have to win the hand you're dealt in life to get ahead.
The league is set up to reward the division winners. You want the reward? Win your division.

You want a raise at work? Do more work.

I really wish this was tongue in cheek, but I doubt it
Posted by chalmetteowl
Chalmette
Member since Jan 2008
47509 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 9:38 am to
quote:

Give division winners an automatic playoff birth, but not an automatic home playoff game.

are you an LHSAA principal?
Posted by pelicansfan123
Member since Jan 2015
1983 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 10:10 am to
(no message)
This post was edited on 5/9/20 at 6:29 pm
Posted by Wayne Campbell
Aurora, IL
Member since Oct 2011
6368 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 2:28 pm to
quote:

Then they should win more of those games if they want a home game.

If divisions were equal, you'd have a point. KC and Oakland are(minus the injury to Carr) better than Houston. They won more games than Houston.
Posted by ballscaster
Member since Jun 2013
26861 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 2:44 pm to
quote:

They won more games than Houston.
Irrelevant. Different division. Can't have a home game if you can't be better than the three teams in your division. Downvote if you have a vagina.
Posted by OneMoreTime
Florida Gulf Coast Fan
Member since Dec 2008
61834 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 2:47 pm to
This is how ridiculous the current setup is.

It's currently possible for 2 teams in the same division to go 15-1 and for 1 team to get a first round bye and home field advantage, but the other team would have to go on the road to face a 7-9 (or possibly worse) division winner. How fricked up is that?
Member since May 2014
22650 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 2:50 pm to
I agree. There are ways to improve the current setup, but everyone is stuck in the "that's how it's always been" mindset.
Posted by pelicansfan123
Member since Jan 2015
1983 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 2:55 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 5/9/20 at 6:29 pm
Posted by cubsfan5150
Member since Nov 2007
15756 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 3:30 pm to
If you guys are going to bitch about the home field set up, then I would think you would have an issue with teams getting in that have worse records than others.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram