Started By
re: .

Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:59 pm to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:59 pm to
no it's not...schefter and clayton??? disregarding that lie, no one tunes in for these guys and he didn't tell me why he likes them.

Clayton is a good reporter, but no one is tuning in for his 1 minute of air time.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:00 pm to
quote:

I would rather just watch an accumulation of highlights most of the time. I like to watch sports

this

sportscenter

nfl primetime

baseball tonight

great shows in the 90s, now they're entirely different.
Posted by Tiger Ryno
#WoF
Member since Feb 2007
103138 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:02 pm to
I only watch espn when there is a game I want to watch that happens to come on their station. I don't watch any debate or talking head studio shows. If I want post game coverage I will watch nfl or mlb network. With the exception of a couple of college football shows I only watch games on their station
Posted by Vicks Kennel Club
29-24 #BlewDat
Member since Dec 2010
31084 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:04 pm to
quote:

I don't know the name of the saints first round pick because I no longer watch ESPN...they made it so unenjoyable for me.

Do you hate Google, the Saints official website, NFL Network, and all other sports sites?
Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:04 pm to
quote:

no it's not...schefter and clayton??? disregarding that lie, no one tunes in for these guys and he didn't tell me why he likes them.

Those were two things that I mentioned. I mentioned a lot of other stuff too that comprises a lot of hours of programming.

You aren't open to your opinion being swayed. You just want people to agree with you.
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150834 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:05 pm to
quote:

There's good programming on ESPN and there's gimmicky, tedious programming. It's not all great and it's certainly not all horrible like the hipster sports crowd would have you believe.

I sort of agree with this.

I watch ESPN, but not near as much as I used to. I do watch SportsCenter sometimes, but have to stop every now and then when they just refuse to leave something alone. I want to watch SC for the highlights, but sadly those are fewer and farther between than they used to be. Now it's all about "breaking" or "sexy" news. Or major points that bring endless discussion (like Tebow or Lebron, for example). Weirdly enough, I don't really like MLB, but it's the best time of year for SC because it means they actually have to show highlights. But that doesn't mean they still don't try to get into TMZ mode and make a huge deal about David Ortiz tossing a bat after a game-winning HR. If SC stuck to highlights and light commentary, it'd still be one of the best shows out there (like it used to be in the late 90s).

Outside of SC, I watch ESPN for games obviously. But I do watch some original programming. I really enjoy a lot of the 30 for 30 series. And sure, a lot of their talking head shows are annoying, but I do still enjoy Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption most of the time...and I watch those knowing that people like Wilbon or Plaschke may piss me off at the drop of a hat. And even though there is some solid stupidity spewed on those shows, I mainly watch them because it hits the major sports news points of the day and I can sort of keep up with what is going on.

Outside of those specific shows I mentioned, I don't watch much ESPN. I do think NFL Insiders is decent, but it comes on too early for me to watch it, and I don't like it enough to DVR.

I do think their NFL coverage is okay, despite Chris fricking Berman anchoring it. I think Ditka is an idiot as well. But I find the overall, the show/coverage works fairly well.

I do find it funny when people act like there is literally nothing good that ESPN does though...it's almost like the cool thing to do is to hate on that network. And the most annoying shows are VERY easy to avoid. As for why ratings are so high for shows with the likes of Stephen A. Smith, Skip bayless, and Jamele Hill? You got me...I don't get it, unless people are just looking for drama (even if it is fake).
This post was edited on 7/28/14 at 2:14 pm
Posted by Vicks Kennel Club
29-24 #BlewDat
Member since Dec 2010
31084 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:05 pm to
quote:

this

sportscenter

I used to wake up super early when I was pretty young and go watch Sportscenter. I would watch it all the way through and then sometimes again. The second time I would say what Stuart Scott (or whoever else) was saying simultaneously.
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150834 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:06 pm to
And I will say that I think their website is fricking atrocious though. If I want to find anything that is more than about half a day old, I just have to google that shite, because finding it on ESPN's site is hard as frick.
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67160 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:06 pm to
I only watch for games, the picks at the end of College Gameday, and the occasional 10 minutes of Sportscenter while I'm eating a quick meal and there's nothing else on.
Posted by Jcorye1
Tom Brady = GoAT
Member since Dec 2007
71475 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:07 pm to
I watch the filler sometimes, and listen to their radio broadcasts sometimes. Yes, a lot of it is bullshite, but sometimes they have interesting takes on sports.
Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:08 pm to
quote:

And the most annoying shows are VERY easy to avoid

Exactly. I'm at work during First Take, ATH, and PTI. I'm home for highlights, which I watch with the sound off. I keep it on the background. Other than that I watch for classic games. Any football that airs I'm almost sure to watch it for at least a little while. And if there's a 30 for 30 on any of their channels I'll likely watch it even if I've seen it several times.

And Lindsay Czarniak is
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
111097 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:08 pm to
quote:

I don't know the name of the saints first round pick because I no longer watch ESPN...they made it so unenjoyable for me.

I'll watch SEC games on CBS for sure...that's fricking broadcasting, and somehow they manage to discuss it without shouting like idiots or ignoring the actual game they're analyzing (pre and post game...and in game commentary)that's how its done. That's how espn used to do it, only they had a cooler set and people with more personality.
Ok, you didn't answer part of my questions, but i'll take that response as you're either not an LSU fan, don't watch if LSU is on ESPN and also don't watch any other big ESPN NFL or CFB matchups. Fair enough.
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
111097 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:09 pm to
quote:

Do you hate Google, the Saints official website, NFL Network, and all other sports sites?
It's like only ESPN could report that. Hell, you can get wayyyyyy more valuable information right on this board he has 22K posts on about the Saints draft picks, not sure why the insinuation would be only ESPN can provide that.
This post was edited on 7/28/14 at 2:10 pm
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
111097 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:10 pm to
quote:

You aren't open to your opinion being swayed. You just want people to agree with you.
Again, valid point.
Posted by dcrews
Houston, TX
Member since Feb 2011
30214 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:10 pm to
It's also been a dead period in sports these two months, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with the quality "being down" (although I don't dislike ESPN).

Their football coverage is great and I'm okay with their NBA coverage.

It's also a 24 hour sports network...not an hour long show on some random channel dedicated to one sport. They need their shows like First Take, OTL, Around the Horn, etc.... to fill time.

I never understood the hate for ESPN. The ESPN homers don't bother me nearly as much as the pretentious "I hate those guys. I don't even give them a click on their website, they are so shitty" people.

ESPN isn't bad. Quite honestly, every time I read about someone on here talking about how they never watch it, I very rarely believe it since they spend so much time talking and bitching about it.

Not saying the OP is doing that, but it's mentioned on TD so often, yet everyone says they don't watch it. Someone is lying.
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150834 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:13 pm to
quote:

This is 100% spot on, btw.

Fox is just bitching about ESPN in this thread...he doesn't want to know why people watch ESPN at all. This is just one of the "ESPN fricking sucks" threads that basically have very little substance as to why outside of "Oh, you like Clayton? Well that's stupid. You like PTI? Well that's stupid."
Posted by Jcorye1
Tom Brady = GoAT
Member since Dec 2007
71475 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:14 pm to
quote:

And I will say that I think their website is fricking atrocious though. If I want to find anything that is more than about half a day old, I just have to google that shite, because finding it on ESPN's site is hard as frick.

Their ESPN Boston section is actually very informative. I think it helps that they persuaded some young talent to switch to ESPN though. Mike Reiss is money.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:16 pm to
The OP is clear. I was talking about first take like shows (their most popular ones) millions of people aren't tuning in for John Clayton and adam schefter

I don't believe gold rush particularly. I think he likes those other shows...nothing wrong with that, I just want to understand people like them
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150834 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:17 pm to
quote:

And Lindsay Czarniak is

She's a smoke show for sure. Which one is the horse faced one? She's.......odd looking.

I will say that ESPN has clearly told their female anchors/hosts to start dressing more "hotly" in recent years. And they also do a LOT more full body camera shots now as opposed to just sitting behind a desk. I do, however, think it's a little bit annoying that they seem to think they need to stick a "hot chick" in every single fricking chance they can. I'd rather listen to someone like Jackie MacMullen than have them trot out some younger, hot chick trying to keep up with reading her script while the fellas are giving analysis.
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150834 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:19 pm to
quote:

It's like only ESPN could report that. Hell, you can get wayyyyyy more valuable information right on this board he has 22K posts on about the Saints draft picks, not sure why the insinuation would be only ESPN can provide that.

To be honest, this place is where I get most of my news from (and not just sports on the MSB). People like to straight up race to be the first one to post things on here, so a quick glance of a few boards here and I can be fairly well caught up on the goings on of the day/weekend/etc. The only problem is that now that the board is so popular and so much busier, threads only stay on the first page of the board for a matter of minutes.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram