Started By
re: .

Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:34 pm to
Posted by SpartyGator
Detroit Lions fan
Member since Oct 2011
75574 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:34 pm to
I'll tune into SC if it's on at my breakfast place, but I generally watch it for live sports/30 for 30. That said, I don't hate it like some on this board do.

If I want scores/news/stories, I'll go online or tune into ESPNNews.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:36 pm to
I don't read deadspin

what I've noticed is that without 90s like sportscenter, terrible debate oriented sports radio (debate might be good for tv, but it is sooooooo bad on radio) my interest in sports has lessened...other than D Byrd and champ bailey signing, I can't tell you one thing about the saints offseason. I honestly don't know the name of our first round pick. I know who he is, but I don't know his name.

and yes, dan Patrick is awful..."the mothership" ugh.
Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:37 pm to
quote:

ok, what's good and why do you like it

30 for 30 series is superb overall and no other sports network has anything that's comparable. OTL is good sometimes. A lot of their reporters blow smoke most the time but there are a few that are very good and always informative like John Clayton and Adam Shefter.

I watch for breaking news, highlights, classic game replays, and of course for live games. I don't know that I would classify that as good or bad. Often I watch these segments with the sound off. I don't partake in a lot of their gimmicky shows like Numbers Never Lie, ATH, PTI anymore though.
Posted by Gotta have DeZeier
Turner Field
Member since Dec 2011
3011 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:37 pm to
quote:

I watch for games. Nothing else.

This. Have for 5 years. Never looked back
Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:38 pm to
quote:

Most sports fans aren't hipsters and a lot of them don't like espn

But more of them do like ESPN.
This post was edited on 7/28/14 at 1:39 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
I don't hate it...personally I would scratch out my eyeballs if I had to watch it, but I don't hate its existence or the fact that people like it

I lament that it had to change its programming away from what I thought made it great, but no hard feelings

and again, will someone tell me what the frick they like about

quote:

generally watch it for live sports/30 for 30

so you watch it for other things...so what is it and why do you like it
Posted by SpartyGator
Detroit Lions fan
Member since Oct 2011
75574 posts
quote:

30 for 30 series is superb overall

I agree

quote:

OTL is good sometimes. A lot of their reporters blow smoke most the time but there are a few that are very good and always informative like John Clayton and Adam Shefter.

I like Schefter, meh on clayton.

quote:

. I don't partake in a lot of their gimmicky shows like Numbers Never Lie, ATH, PTI anymore though.

NNL sucks...I used to like ATH or PTI, but it doesn't interest me anymore. I've never cared for first take, either
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
111097 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:40 pm to
And I'm with Fox on this one.

Other than 30 for 30, which is great, I only tune in for live sports.

I don't really understand why folks watch SportsCenter any more. I can go to espn.com and get all the scsores immediately, and if I want to see a recap of a game, I can see the video that SportsCenter shows, but I see it when I want, I don't have to wait for the show to air and that highlight to pop up at some point during the hour.

I'll very, very rarely throw ESPN some time during the DLHQ/ATH/PTI hours mostly when i'm actually not really watching TV, but just have something on in the background that I can glance at here and there, usually when I'm playing toy planes and cars with my boys.

All that being said, I don't have cable, but I do borrow a friend's logon to get on WatchESPN on the Roku, which is probably another reason why I don't watch as much, it's not quite as easy to just flip between ESPN channels, it's a little more "work".
This post was edited on 7/28/14 at 1:42 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:44 pm to
quote:

John Clayton and Adam Shefter

I'm calling bullshite here...schefter is a plugged in guy ONLY...he only has a job because he has connections (lost a lot of them when he left NFLN) that's it...he's in the know about breaking news...You watch for him, 99% of the time he's doing what mark schlereth or Michael Irvin is doing...analysis. And that's the thing...he sucks at that because he's such a stiff...and he doesn't know anything you and I don't already know

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnd, if you're tuning in for schefter, he hasn't broken shite since he left NFLN (glazer has worked him over for some years now)

I just don't believe you. Clayton is sparsely used (always has been) and schefter breaking news isn't something people tune in for (because 1. it's 2 seconds of air time and 2. he doesn't really break anything)
quote:

I don't partake in a lot of their gimmicky shows like Numbers Never Lie, ATH, PTI anymore though

I don't believe you at all, with the exception of the NFL, this is where they're destroying the ratings...you like ESPN? it's almost a slam dunk you watch these shows.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:48 pm to
with me in the sense you only watch your favorite nfl team once, maybe twice a year, but sounds like we're waaaaaay off

ESPN isn't even a thought for me when watching tv. There is so much good shite on, it doesn't cross my mind

The reason is, their programming sucks so bad and has for so long, I have forgotten their existence on my cable box. Again, if they have something good, I'll watch it...the only word of mouth I get is "omg, did you see what he said about which quarterback is better with under 3 minutes in the game, while wearing an eye patch and jumping on a pogo stick...man it was heated"
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
111097 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:50 pm to
quote:

with me in the sense you only watch your favorite nfl team once, maybe twice a year, but sounds like we're waaaaaay off

ESPN isn't even a thought for me when watching tv. There is so much good shite on, it doesn't cross my mind
Oh, yea, then I take it back, I definitely watch some of the 30 for 30s and tons of the NBA, NFL, and CFB live events.

quote:

The reason is, their programming sucks so bad and has for so long, I have forgotten their existence on my cable box. Again, if they have something good, I'll watch it...the only word of mouth I get is "omg, did you see what he said about which quarterback is better with under 3 minutes in the game, while wearing an eye patch and jumping on a pogo stick...man it was heated"
So, if there's a big, top 10 matchup in college football, you don't watch? Not sure if you're an LSU fan,b ut many of their games are on ESPN.
Posted by MusicMaster
Baton Rouge
Member since Jun 2012
1362 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:50 pm to
quote:

Why do people like ESPN?
There are a lot of things about ESPN that bother me. But most of all is during Baseball season when they could show a great match-up of two 1st place teams and we get the under .500 Yankees and the last place Rays. Fricking horrible. I am sure a lot of viewers would like to see somebody different. imo.
Posted by lsu480
Downtown Scottsdale
Member since Oct 2007
92876 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:51 pm to
I like it because I like sports
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:52 pm to
quote:

I like Schefter

why? he just reports his own speculation

he doesn't break anything...his bombshell reporting, even when he does get one, takes up almost no air time.

No one tunes in for schefter...you may like him, but he's not the reason anyone is watching. He does do a good job of standing there and delivering news (when he actually scoops it) and sounding like someone in broadcasting...but as a personality? frick no...Charles barkley is a personality. Howard Stern is a personality...no one is tuning in for AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYY of the nfl guys because they're all jocks trying to be broadcasters instead of being natural on camera (ala terry bradshaw and Howie long)
Posted by Vicks Kennel Club
29-24 #BlewDat
Member since Dec 2010
31084 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:53 pm to
quote:

I don't really understand why folks watch SportsCenter any more. I can go to espn.com and get all the scsores immediately, and if I want to see a recap of a game, I can see the video that SportsCenter shows, but I see it when I want, I don't have to wait for the show to air and that highlight to pop up at some point during the hour.

I would rather just watch an accumulation of highlights most of the time. I like to watch sports.
Posted by RonFNSwanson
University of LSU
Member since Mar 2012
23179 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:55 pm to
I haven't watched ESPN unless it was a game in about 3 years. They never talked about the teams I like anyways.
Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:55 pm to
Well I just told you why I like it and then you shoot everything down. You're not looking for meaningful discourse here.
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
111097 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:57 pm to
quote:

I would rather just watch an accumulation of highlights most of the time. I like to watch sports.
I have 3 year old twin boys, no babysitter in town, and a wife who works opposite schedules as me, I need to be as efficient as possible with my time.
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
111097 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:57 pm to
quote:

Well I just told you why I like it and then you shoot everything down. You're not looking for meaningful discourse here
This is a valid point IMO lol.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 1:58 pm to
quote:

you don't watch

I don't know the name of the saints first round pick because I no longer watch ESPN...they made it so unenjoyable for me.

I'll watch SEC games on CBS for sure...that's fricking broadcasting, and somehow they manage to discuss it without shouting like idiots or ignoring the actual game they're analyzing (pre and post game...and in game commentary)that's how its done. That's how espn used to do it, only they had a cooler set and people with more personality.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram