Started By
re: .

Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:20 pm to
Posted by hendersonshands
Univ. of Louisiana Ragin Cajuns
Member since Oct 2007
160104 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:20 pm to
I don't watch ESPN shows and I know the name of the Saints' first round pick because I don't have Alzheimer's.
Posted by Jcorye1
Tom Brady = GoAT
Member since Dec 2007
71354 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:22 pm to
quote:

Jackie MacMullen

If I could have a beer with her and Linda Cohn, I'd be in heaven.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
NFLN quickly adapted the ESPN format

Marshall and mooch segments for example

And the other websites follows the same pattern as ESPN.com doesn't have NFL highlights, it's Allen and some schlub discussing the game for 00:01:30

I do have an opinion, and it can't be swayed. Same for others. I don't want to have a different opinion or change anyone else's mind. I want to know why people like these shows (and SC is now in the debate format...why? Because that's what is getting them ratings, this isn't an opinion...it's a fact. So don't say I watch because of highlights (maybe you do, but for most that's obviously not the main draw)
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150596 posts
quote:

The OP is clear. I was talking about first take like shows (their most popular ones) millions of people aren't tuning in for John Clayton and adam schefter

Maybe they are. He clearly said he is, yet you basically straight up called him a liar. Just like this:
quote:

I think he likes those other shows...

..despite him clearly stating that he does not.

Thus his point that you just want to bitch to hear your own keyboard click...even when someone tells you why they like ESPN, you say they're either lying or that it is stupid. And when they say they don't like other things, you say you don't believe them.

You are coming off like a complete and total bitch in here (and I know you're not based on our conversations on M/TV).
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:25 pm to
quote:

the Saints official website

When did I say I don't get ANY sports news. Tigerdroppings is where I hear about 95% of things (I heard about Byrd because my friend called me)

I'm talking about TV which is the bigger medium.

We're off track...is someone going to explain the new espns appeal or should I get back to work?
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150596 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:27 pm to
quote:

We're off track...is someone going to explain the new espns appeal or should I get back to work?

It has been...you might as well get back to work because you've ignored or dismissed it every time.
Posted by constant cough
Lafayette
Member since Jun 2007
44788 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:29 pm to
quote:

I watch for games. Nothing else.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
quote:

..despite him clearly stating that he does not.

And OJ didn't kill his wife, god dammit why does me not believing him make this an ESPN bashing thread? I want to know why it's more appealing now with the debate format. Me not believing one poster and why is inconsequential so admittedly I shouldn't have said anything

Now back to the question at hand that literally no one has answered

Shel's first response seems to be perfect. I like this but not that. Well that is the bulk I their programming and draws ESPN tier biggest ratings so why is it so appealing?
Member since Oct 2007
160104 posts
I want to know how any big Saints fan can forget the name of the first round pick within a matter of months. It's not like they're even talking about the Saints on ESPN so I don't see they as an acceptable excuse
Posted by LooseCannon22282
Mobile
Member since May 2008
33734 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:30 pm to
there is a horrible combo that makes it suck for me.

1) I watched SportsCenter entirely too much as a kid and eventually got burned out on it. I still watch it some but I find myself getting annoyed with it. I hate the way that news is reported these days. Newspapers use to be a great thing but now its all social media and the internet taking over and it has affected how SC is run. Its crap.

2) A big story will get beaten to death. I got tired of hearing about the Penn State thing after one hour. I don't know about the rest of you guys.

3) Watching shows like NFL Live during the offseason is a good way to get burned out on a sport I love.

there isn't any upside to following a sport all year round. Not to me anyway.

take a break from it when necessary.

you'll enjoy the season a lot more when it starts.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:33 pm to
nfl.com does have all of the highlights, but the page loads so slowly...and again, we're talking tv here and though it was unmentioned it was easily discernible from the op

Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
110737 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:34 pm to
quote:

2) A big story will get beaten to death. I got tired of hearing about the Penn State thing after one hour. I don't know about the rest of you guys
Lebatard talks about this a lot.

Anytime there's a huge story, people want to hear about it, more and more, and ESP and the media in general will gladly oblige. But there always comes a point when fans and the general public are over it and done with that story, but the media doesn't seem to do a good job of recnogizing that point, and they'll keep going on a decent amount longer than they probably should.
Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:35 pm to
quote:

I do have an opinion, and it can't be swayed. Same for others. I don't want to have a different opinion or change anyone else's mind. I want to know why people like these shows (and SC is now in the debate format...why?

But you really don't want to know because I've told you why I like ESPN and you've rejected my reasons. I believe you don't like ESPN. I at least believe why you said you don't like it.

You said why do people like ESPN. Most of their programming consists of highlights, live games, classic/replay games, and news. Most people that watch it like all of those things, which isn't unreasonable. Those gimmicky shows comprise a small minority of their programming time across all of their stations. Those shows may be highly rated but that's not the backbone of their network.

Whatever, I regret my participation in this thread at this point.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:36 pm to
I'm admittedly less of a fan than last year, and the year before and the year before

roger and co. are slowly but surely driving down my interest...for the first time in forever, I was entirely uninterested in the offseason...It's not something that I'm aware of until I think "oh shite, next month is football season."

I probably will be over the NFL in 10 years. There was a thread on this topic (an entirely different one than this one) and staugustine or shel, one of them, nailed it...it is exactly how I feel
Member since Oct 2007
160104 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:36 pm to
What do you actually want? People to lie about liking ESPN shows to appease you?

Have you maybe thought that people who post on MSB are hardcore sports fans who don't really enjoy seeing the fluff that the common fan likes? Maybe a sports message board isn't the best place to be asking.
Posted by Dire Wolf
bawcomville
Member since Sep 2008
36590 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:37 pm to
This isn't really an ESPN thing more than it is News thing. Look at CNN, Fox and MSNBC they are all crap for very similar reasons.

I love how these thread pop up and everyone gets all high and mighty about never watch ESPN expect during a game. It is not like ya'll quit heroin

quote:

I'm admittedly less of a fan than last year, and the year before and the year before

roger and co. are slowly but surely driving down my interest...for the first time in forever, I was entirely uninterested in the offseason...It's not something that I'm aware of until I think "oh shite, next month is football season."

I probably will be over the NFL in 10 years. There was a thread on this topic (an entirely different one than this one) and staugustine or shel, one of them, nailed it...it is exactly how I feel

ESPN isn't catering to the "i am kind of a sports fan"; why should you like ESPN?
This post was edited on 7/28/14 at 2:38 pm
Posted by 504Voodoo
New Orleans
Member since Aug 2012
13532 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:38 pm to
quote:

There's good programming on ESPN

ok, what's good and why do you like it 

Baseball tonight. Around the horn does serve as a guilty pleasure for me.
Posted by CocomoLSU
Inside your dome.
Member since Feb 2004
150596 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:39 pm to
quote:

god dammit why does me not believing him make this an ESPN bashing thread?

FWIW, I said you were bitching about it, not bashing it per se.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:42 pm to
quote:

why I like ESPN

you and every other person on this site has told me that they like the good stuff and tune out crap...except the crap is what is killing in the ratings.

I shouldn't have said anything about whether or not I believe you because it doesn't matter and
takes the topic somewhere else and muddies my genuine intention...I want to understand why people like the debate format...and all that I explained in the op that goes with it

and literally no one in this thread has answered that...you told me you like some espn and hate the stuff...I should have took you at your word, and waited for someone to say

"I watch first take and it's awesome and this is why"
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/28/14 at 2:45 pm to
quote:

Around the horn does serve as a guilty pleasure for me

Ok, there we go, now why do you like it...and there's no guilt here. you like what you like. Is it because the format forces them to discuss a more diverse selection of sports topics, is it the personalities (and what about them), etc.

what is it?
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram