
- My Forums
- Tiger Rant
- LSU Recruiting
- SEC Rant
- Saints Talk
- Pelicans Talk
- More Sports Board
- Fantasy Sports
- Golf Board
- Soccer Board
- O-T Lounge
- Tech Board
- Home/Garden Board
- Outdoor Board
- Health/Fitness Board
- Movie/TV Board
- Book Board
- Music Board
- Political Talk
- Money Talk
- Fark Board
- Gaming Board
- Travel Board
- Food/Drink Board
- Ticket Exchange
- TD Help Board
Customize My Forums- View All Forums
- Show Left Links
- Topic Sort Options
- Trending Topics
- Recent Topics
- Active Topics
Started By
Message

.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 7:59 pm
Posted on 5/24/25 at 7:59 pm
(no message)
This post was edited on 9/7/26 at 10:40 am
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:07 pm to Dataman88
That was a fun read! Thanks for sharing, brother. Sounds like you turned out all right despite the childhood nonsense.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:08 pm to Dataman88
Open 365 days a year...crazy!!! Went quite a few times 92-94. Loved that place. Back when pool was a thing.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:14 pm to Dataman88
I've spent one or two hours in a pool hall.
Thanks for your story. The pool scene was/is a whole subset of American culture that many don't know about. Some great people and some shite people.
Cheers. And shoot em straight.
Thanks for your story. The pool scene was/is a whole subset of American culture that many don't know about. Some great people and some shite people.
Cheers. And shoot em straight.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:14 pm to Dataman88
All I got is that chicks that lived at Fox Hill apartments put out.
And I went to Mugsy’s off N Littlejohn from like ‘88-‘91.
And I went to Mugsy’s off N Littlejohn from like ‘88-‘91.
This post was edited on 5/24/25 at 8:17 pm
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:17 pm to Dataman88
Oh I know Greenway Billiards well. Crazy skinny black guy cleaned the joint. His name was June Bug. I knew Jessie, his wife, and his daughter. She drove a black truck that had “Angel Eyes” painted on it. Dang! Can’t remember her name.
There was a secret room in the back for private pool and card games. Illegal video poker machines, dominoes, backgammon, and of course pool. People would bet on anything. Lots of memories.
Place was open 24/7/365.
The casinos killed Greenway. People went to go gamble at them and then nothing left over for the pool hall action. Pool hustlers from all over would show up.
A mix of degenerates for sure.
End of an era in BR when Jessie sold it. It wasn’t the same and quit going.
There was a secret room in the back for private pool and card games. Illegal video poker machines, dominoes, backgammon, and of course pool. People would bet on anything. Lots of memories.
Place was open 24/7/365.
The casinos killed Greenway. People went to go gamble at them and then nothing left over for the pool hall action. Pool hustlers from all over would show up.
A mix of degenerates for sure.
End of an era in BR when Jessie sold it. It wasn’t the same and quit going.
This post was edited on 5/24/25 at 8:20 pm
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:19 pm to Dataman88
Tonk. That brings back some memories.
Many of nights were wasted
Many of nights were wasted
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:23 pm to Higgysmalls
I lived on little John so Mugsys was down the street . But we made it over there a few times. Probably early 90s. Don't really have any storys from it
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:28 pm to Higgysmalls
I remember that they had some occasional 9 ball tournaments, $20 entry fee, that brought in guys from Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, etc. I remember an enjoyable time there talking to two old school pool legends during one of those tournaments. Jersey Red and Junior Goff. Both were up in age, but they could still play.
Haven't been in that section of BR in 25+ years. Is that little shopping center where Greenway was still in existence?
Haven't been in that section of BR in 25+ years. Is that little shopping center where Greenway was still in existence?
This post was edited on 5/24/25 at 8:39 pm
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:33 pm to UptownJoeBrown
Peyton was his daughter’s name. She was nice and ran the place.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:42 pm to 308
quote:
Haven't been in that section of BR in 25+ years. Is that little shopping center where Greenway was still in existence?
It's still physically there, and there are a few businesses open, but that's the hood now. I remember when it wasn't as well.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:50 pm to CueBacca
Went there back in 97 or so with two girls who waited tables at zorbas several times. Liked it
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:51 pm to Dataman88
That was the place down Greenwell Springs near Airline, right? Shot pool with a date or two in there. 
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:56 pm to shutterspeed
quote:
That was the place down Greenwell Springs near Airline, right? Shot pool with a date or two in there
They used to have a pretty popular tattoo shop in there and I think that Daiquiri Cafe is still open on the left, but I wouldn't visit any business still open around there if I didn't have to. That area was going pretty ghetto in like 1995
Posted on 5/24/25 at 8:58 pm to fallguy_1978
quote:
That area was going pretty ghetto in like 1995
That date would've been about '96, and you are correct, sir.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 9:01 pm to shutterspeed
quote:
That date would've been about '96, and you are correct, sir.
I drove though there about 3 weeks ago. It looks rough. Hard to believe that was a fairly thriving middle class area when I was growing up.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 9:04 pm to fallguy_1978
quote:
They used to have a pretty popular tattoo shop in there and I think that Daiquiri Cafe is still open on the left, but I wouldn't visit any business still open around there if I didn't have to. That area was going pretty ghetto in like 1995
Tigers claw tattoo if I remember correctly. That was a long time ago.
Posted on 5/24/25 at 9:08 pm to pdubya76
quote:
Tigers claw tattoo if I remember correctly. That was a long time ago.
Yeah man, we have gotten old somehow. I remember some black chick used to sell me daiquiris at that Daiquiri Cafe (might have been something else then) when I was like 16
Posted on 5/24/25 at 9:11 pm to Dataman88
I spent some time runnin in the BR Pool scene way back when. Tournaments all over town on the weekends. Pool Leagues where local dive bars teams competed. I ran a team out of Sonny's off Madeline Ct. You had to know Eddie Reeves at Greenway? Used to shoot at JD's on Dallas Dr. And Mr. G's on Sharp Rd. Lots of fights over a 25 cent Pool game. Much fun....
Posted on 5/24/25 at 9:15 pm to TreeDawg
Was Eddie a tree cutter? Been so long ago for names.

Popular
Back to top

20










