Started By
re: .

Posted on 5/21/18 at 3:32 pm to
Posted by WNCTigah
Member since Sep 2016
308 posts
Posted on 5/21/18 at 3:32 pm to

Given what we gave up for Ricky, I would say he should be considered.

'goin golfin!'
-Ditka
Posted by Hamma1122
Member since Sep 2016
19849 posts
Posted on 5/21/18 at 3:36 pm to
Alex molden
Posted by DestrehanTiger
Houston, TX by way of Louisiana
Member since Nov 2005
12482 posts
Posted on 5/21/18 at 4:08 pm to
quote:

I think a large part of it is based on how electric he was in college and little, if any, of it translated to the pros.

If anything translated from college to the pros, it was his electric play. The knock on Reggie was he wasn't very consistent, but his highlight reel with the Saints is huge. Off the top of my head, I just thought of 4 plays in about 5 seconds:

1. Miami leap
2. 2 returns vs Minnesota
3. Run vs Arizona in the playoffs
4. Catch and run vs Bears in the playoffs
Posted by novowels
Baton Rouge
Member since Jan 2008
2400 posts
Posted on 5/21/18 at 4:28 pm to
quote:

Al Woods

Woods was a 4th round pick. How is this even close to being a reasonable answer?
Posted by Athis
Member since Aug 2016
11676 posts
Posted on 5/21/18 at 5:45 pm to
quote:

Jonathan Sullivan

This is the top one on my list.
There was a running back that the Saints traded up for...I think into the second or third round..The Saints ended up cutting him in training camp..WHAT IS HIS NAME?
Posted by geauxpurple
New Orleans
Member since Jul 2014
12451 posts
Posted on 5/21/18 at 8:53 pm to
Shawn Knight was the worst player. Jonathan Sullivan was the most expensive bust because of the high price we had to pay for him. Russell Erxleben was the most ridiculous pick. I am old enough to remember the pick that set the tone for draft futility - Les Kelly.
Posted by 504Voodoo
New Orleans
Member since Aug 2012
13539 posts
Posted on 5/21/18 at 10:01 pm to
I know there's the punter guy, but I nominate Alex Molden.
Posted by thatguy
Member since Aug 2006
6891 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 5:04 am to
quote:

WHAT IS HIS NAME

Antonio Pittman, Ohio state
Posted by Laman1978
Earth
Member since Jan 2009
10911 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 5:10 am to
Mike Ditka was the disappointment, not Ricky Williams.
Posted by Athis
Member since Aug 2016
11676 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 7:43 am to
quote:

Antonio Pittman, Ohio state

That's his name...and he was picked in the fourth round..He ended up becoming a Firemen in Ohio.
Posted by Breesus
House of the Rising Sun
Member since Jan 2010
66982 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 7:57 am to
quote:

Also, who was more disappointing - Ricky Williams or Reggie Bush?

One of these was an incredible skill player instrumental in winning the playoffs that lead to the Superbowl and the other was a minor disappointment, but that was mostly due to his and Ditka's stupid antics and his perceived injury problems and lack of caring on the field. To quote the replacements: Ricky Williams isnt even a has-been. He's a never-was. But he was a solid back when he put forth the effort.

The people who hate on Reggie Bush are the same people i assume never watched football before 2006 and don't understand the competitiveness of the NFL.

Reggie was lightening fast. I remember watching his punt and kick returns, when he got into open field he make everyone else look like they were standing still.

And I was at that game in Pitt sitting in the corner of the endzone when he leapt into the endzone from 6 yards out. It was awesome. I'll always defend Reggie from a dipshit fanbase.
This post was edited on 5/22/18 at 8:17 am
Posted by mindbreaker
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2011
7642 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 8:23 am to
quote:

If anything translated from college to the pros, it was his electric play.

100% correct. Every few games he would make that one play that you watched and thought, no one else on the planet could have made that play. The silly fans problem was it wasn't 2 or 3 times every game like he did it college.
Posted by moock blackjack
Member since Apr 2008
96755 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 9:05 am to
Jonathan Sullivan
Posted by goatmilker
Castle Anthrax
Member since Feb 2009
64455 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 9:13 am to
Too many good choices in this thread
Posted by death valley driver
CHOPPA CITY
Member since Jul 2004
11598 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 10:38 am to
Jonathan Sullivan and it’s not even CLOSED

We traded two top 20 picks to move up to #6 to pick him, here’s who we passed:

9. DT Kevin Williams - MIN
10. DE Terrell Suggs - BAL
11. CB Marcus Trufant - SEA

At least we got two first rounders back from Miami for Ricky. And the only people who see Reggie as a BUST are disgruntled LSU fans who hated him because he went to USC.....BUSH was the perfect pick for a multitude of reasons and practically invented the Kamara role we see today. These ARE facts and his impact on the franchise is inarguable

DRIVEMAN OUT
Posted by DaCajun1
Member since Jul 2007
1496 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 10:53 am to
This post was edited on 3/22/19 at 12:24 pm
Posted by DestrehanTiger
Houston, TX by way of Louisiana
Member since Nov 2005
12482 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 10:56 am to
quote:

Ricky Williams isnt even a has-been. He's a never-was. But he was a solid back when he put forth the effort.

The never was isn't even accurate. Ricky averaged over 4 yards a carry for his career. He had 5 years over 1,000 rushing yards including his first year in Miami when he had over 1,800 yards.
Posted by saintkenn
Saintkenn
Member since Nov 2012
823 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 11:02 am to
Alex Molden is on this list because of who he was picked ahead of. He was the consensus top rated cornerback in that draft, he just wasn't the shutdown guy we expected. A definite bust, but nowhere near the likes of Jonathan Sullivan or Erxleben.
Posted by Geauxst Writer
Atlanta
Member since Dec 2015
4960 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 1:02 pm to
#1 Pick Russel Erxlaben
Posted by Stadium Rat
Metairie
Member since Jul 2004
9575 posts
Posted on 5/22/18 at 1:57 pm to
Russel Erxleben

quote:

In 1979 he was unexpectedly drafted in the first round (eleventh pick overall) by the New Orleans Saints. At the time this was the second highest selection of a kicker in the draft, with the highest drafted kicker being Charlie Gogolak. The Saints hoped to save a roster spot by having him perform both the place-kicking and punting duties, despite having solid veterans in both positions (Rich Szaro at placekicker and Tom Blanchard at punter).

He played six seasons in the NFL, primarily as a punter. Despite his stellar college career, he did not make the Pro Bowl during his NFL career.

In Erxleben's first NFL game, on September 2, 1979, the Saints and the archrival Atlanta Falcons went into overtime with the score 34-34. Midway through overtime, a snap went over Erxleben's head and rolled to the goal line. Erxleben picked the ball up and made a hurried chest pass. The pass was intercepted by Atlanta's James Mayberry at the 6-yard line, and he trotted into the end zone for a touchdown and a 40-34 Falcon victory.

The next week in Milwaukee, Erxleben pulled the hamstring in his right leg, forcing the Saints to use fullback Tony Galbreath as their emergency placekicker and wide receiver Wes Chandler at punter vs. the Green Bay Packers. The Saints lost 28-19, and later that week, coach Dick Nolan was forced to sign Garo Yepremian and then Rick Partridge to handle the kicking/punting chores in Erxleben's extended absence over the remainder of the season.

New Orleans finished the year at 8-8, one game behind the Los Angeles Rams, who won the division and played in Super Bowl XIV.

Following his disappointing rookie season, Erxleben missed a game-tying field goal attempt in the 1980 season opener, resulting in a 26-23 loss to the San Francisco 49ers, a team that had won four games over the previous two seasons. The loss was the first of 14 consecutive defeats for the Saints, who ended the year 1-15.

In 1982 the Saints drafted Morten Andersen, who would be the team's placekicker for the next 13 seasons. He was New Orleans' union representative during the 1982 NFL players' strike. The Saints released him in 1984 after drafting his replacement, Brian Hansen. After four years out of football, he attempted a comeback with the Detroit Lions, but retired for good in 1988.
quote:

After retiring from the NFL, he became a financial investor in foreign exchange trading, founding Austin Forex International in Austin, Texas. In 1999, following a tip, an investigation by the Texas State Securities Board and the Internal Revenue Service ensued; and Erxleben eventually pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud, mail fraud and money laundering, and a second count for securities fraud in connection with misleading statements regarding the past performance of Austin Forex.

On September 18, 2000, Erxleben was sentenced by United States District Court Judge James R. Nowlin to 84 months in prison and ordered to pay a total of $28 million in restitution with a one million dollar fine. Erxleben's lawyers, the law firm of Locke, Liddell & Sapp, settled a related lawsuit for $22 million in 2000. Other law firms settled and a total of $34 million was collected in the combined suits.

On January 24, 2013, Erxleben was arrested again on various federal charges related to an alleged Ponzi scheme.[3] In December 2013 Erxleben pleaded guilty to charges of wire fraud and money laundering.[4] On February 24, 2014, he was sentenced to 90 months in prison.[5][6]
This post was edited on 5/22/18 at 2:04 pm
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram