Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:33 am to
Posted by meansonny
ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:33 am to
quote:

This is not just some business as usual stance for the NLRB to take

They've been pumping this union theology for at least 15 years. You are completely mistaken. They are a recruitment scheme for unions.

Every time the "labor" question has come up with college athletics (i.e. northwestern), it is the NLRB looking to recruit more union members.
Posted by AUCE05
Member since Dec 2009
42565 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:34 am to
This would be for revenue producing sports only. I'm kinda on the fence. The financial disparity for a school like USC vs say Ole Miss is shocking. USC cost 90k a year to attend. A full ride to OM for 4 years is less than that. A degree to any school shouldn't cost close to a half million. At that rate, taxes should be paid.
Posted by meansonny
ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:35 am to
Every sport creates revenue.
Posted by SG_Geaux
Beautiful St George
Member since Aug 2004
77964 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:38 am to
quote:

not students who receive scholarships or who desire to participate in extracurricular sports on a voluntary basis.

But that is EXACTLY what they are.
Posted by Bunk Moreland
Member since Dec 2010
53304 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:42 am to
I wonder what changed from the Northwestern ruling a few years back -- NIL? Or did we just get a more liberal board making the ruling? I always thought athletes were gonna frick around and find out with something like this when the NIL money started sloshing around.
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422428 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:43 am to
quote:

Or did we just get a more liberal board making the ruling?

Democrat President means liberal NLRB rulings.
Posted by meansonny
ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:44 am to
Nlrb was for employee status for northwestern.

Nothing changed.

The reason they pushed for northwestern is because it is a private school.

Some state laws prevent state employees from unionizing. I'm guessing California may not have those laws
Posted by Dixie.Reb
Oxford
Member since Jul 2013
2381 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:58 am to
USC is also a private school which is why they ruled on it.
Posted by meansonny
ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 9:01 am to
Thanks for the correction.

Courts stopped northwestern and nlrb back then.

They may be fishing for more liberal judges and appeals circuits.
Posted by nicholastiger
Member since Jan 2004
42547 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 9:01 am to
What's to stop schools from dropping sports altogether and creating a new intramural sports concept?
Posted by AlonsoWDC
Memphis, where it ain't Ten-a-Key
Member since Aug 2014
8764 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 9:09 am to
quote:

And your average SEC football fan won't care.

Your average SEC football fan also can't read your post.
Posted by Alt26
Member since Mar 2010
28339 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 9:22 am to
quote:

Every college sports fan should support this statement.

Completely disagree.

There was a time that statement was true. But that hasn't been the case for a while.

The SEC recently signed a 3 BILLION dollar media rights (TV) deal.

The Big Ten signed a 7 BILLION dollar deal

Networks aren't paying that as a donation to academia. They are paying it because college sports (most notably football and men's basketball) are big entertainment BUSINESS.

Major universities routinely charge $1,000 plus for season ticket...per seat. Home games at places like LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc, etc will generate well over $10 million in revenue...for each home football game. People aren't spending that money to attend football games because they want to donate to their local academic institution. They are doing it because attending a college football game is something they enjoy as entertainment.

College football and basketball are big entertainment businesses masquerading as scholastic extra-curriculars. To attempt to argue otherwise is foolish. And just like in the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc., the players are primary attraction. Thus, in the current climate of BILLON dollar revenues it was inevitable that the players would eventually be held to be categorized as "employees"

If you don't like it, that's fine. I get it. I don't particularly love what college sports have become recently. But it's wholly logical to hold the players are "employees". The next step is going to be unionization and collective bargaining, and along with it, I believe, the elimination from the top level of competition schools that just can't compete financially (Sunbelt schools, CUSA, etc, etc.)
Posted by Floyd Dawg
Silver Creek, GA
Member since Jul 2018
3902 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 9:43 am to
D3 likely will not be affected by this ruling. They do not give athletic scholarships.

One of my best friends is General Counsel for a D3 school in Georgia. He definitely has concerns about rulings like this, but they aren’t as clear cut since they don’t offer athletic scholarships. I’ll ask him again about it the next time I see him.
Posted by Tiger Prawn
Member since Dec 2016
21895 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 9:55 am to
quote:

students at the University of Southern California who play football and basketball should be treated as employees, and not students
How can this apply to only football and basketball but not any other sports? Anywhere else, your status as an employee isn't determined by how much or how little revenue your department generates. And if they apply it to USC, then why wouldn't it apply to ever college athletics department. Going to kill college athletics as we know it. All that'll be left is a few dozen football and basketball schools that'll essentially be nothing more than a minor league for the NFL and NBA.
Posted by meansonny
ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 9:55 am to
quote:

D3 likely will not be affected by this ruling. They do not give athletic scholarships.

I don't see the difference.

Either there is revenue off the backs of athletes or there isn't.
How is one a job and one isn't?
Giving a scholarship actually makes the "abuse" of nonscholarship athletes worse.

It is a bunch of doubletalk from nlrb.
The past 10 years, american life has been "anything goes so long as the end result is what my side wants". It is sickening and full of mendacity.
Posted by meansonny
ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 9:57 am to
The argument 9 years ago against Northwestern was that their players can unionize. But the entire team would be ineligible for ncaa sports because they aren't meeting amateur athletic requirements.

The problem is that the ncaa got their nuts cut off and is in survival mode. Even the conferences are looking at ways of ditching them.
Posted by chalmetteowl
Chalmette
Member since Jan 2008
47583 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 10:05 am to
quote:

The SEC recently signed a 3 BILLION dollar media rights (TV) deal. The Big Ten signed a 7 BILLION dollar deal

So what’s the magic number? $300? $30,000? $30,000,000?

There’s a number at which they are just students participating in extracurriculars and the money is to cover expenses, and above it they’re employees
Posted by Bjorn Cyborg
Member since Sep 2016
26752 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 11:16 am to
quote:

This is the thing that will destroy college athletics, and the people hurt the most are the athletes in non-revenue sports.

This is a pure "cutting off your nose to spite your face" scenario.

This has been my stance. All of the changes to college sports benefit the top 1 percent of athletes who were already getting paid, probably under the table, and who likely have professional futures.

The other athletes don't get shite, and will likely end up losing their sports all together.

This is a completely losing proposition for every college athlete except a handful.
Posted by Oilfieldbiology
Member since Nov 2016
37492 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 11:34 am to
quote:

This would be for revenue producing sports only

Define this because if it’s women’s field hockey I could argue it produces revenue for the school, just not profit.
Posted by SoDakHawk
South Dakota
Member since Jun 2014
8567 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 12:09 pm to
quote:

Here’s my question

Are only the biggest revenue institutions to treat athletes as employees, or is everyone in the FBS? FCS? D2? D3? to do so?

Now let's apply this question to HS sports, club sports, middle school sports, etc. If you buy a ticket at the gate in order to see the game is it not paying to see entertainment? Shouldn't the participants be compensated then?
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram