ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 12:21 pm to
Simpletons talk about revenue.

Everything is revenue.
Covering the expenses is using revenue.

So then they will talk about profits.
There are no profits. No shareholders. The athletic association coffers are holding money for future expenses.
Thus... no profit.

I expect courts to rule against nlrb again (even in California) and for this to continue to be a nothingburger.

We thought NIL was complicated but the courts did it anyway.
This is 100 times more complicated.
I don't see it unraveling now.
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422428 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 12:41 pm to
quote:

Thus, in the current climate of BILLON dollar revenues it was inevitable that the players would eventually be held to be categorized as "employees"

What about profits?

Because I think that only a few schools have fully independent Athletic Departments, even with the mega deals.

This is all with lots of the real spending being done completely outside of school oversight via donation funds.

How do you pay players when ADs don't break even?
Posted by chalmetteowl
Chalmette
Member since Jan 2008
47587 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 1:00 pm to
quote:

Now let's apply this question to HS sports, club sports, middle school sports, etc. If you buy a ticket at the gate in order to see the game is it not paying to see entertainment? Shouldn't the participants be compensated then?

Another question: at what level is a game “entertainment” and not just a game?
Posted by SoFla Tideroller
South Florida
Member since Apr 2010
30099 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 1:08 pm to
After the white guilt liberals* who don't watch college athletics destroy the whole industry, they'll move on like locusts and descend upon yet another cultural institution beloved by mainstream America in order to ruin it. Then all the empty-headed do-gooders will sit around with this stupid look on their faces wondering why tens of thousands of women and minorities are no longer going to college because the scholarship amateur athlete model was outlawed by their own efforts.

*And, let's be honest, this whole "pay the players!" movement has a huge racial component driving it. "It's unconscionable that these white coaches make millions while the players only get access to an education that can allow them to break generations of poverty!"
Posted by meansonny
ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 1:13 pm to
Yeah.

I love college football a ton.
And there are millions like me.

So instead of sending the semi-pro athletes off to do their professional thing... the do-gooders want to change the thing that I like and love.

If an athlete wants to make money, go make money.
But he/she can't be paid by the universities for an athletic program where the best athletes are only the best athletes because they are under 3 years removed from high school (i.e. outside of 3 years removal from high school, they are no longer the best athletes).
This post was edited on 5/19/23 at 1:14 pm
Posted by lsu777
Lake Charles
Member since Jan 2004
31042 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 1:39 pm to
quote:

Time evolved. The universities at major programs make shite tons of money and have on the backs of "amatuers who played for the love of the game" for over a century. About time the kids got a piece of the pie. The scholarships in this current world are useless unless you're a willing participant in social and political propaganda. They aren't enough anymore. The education isn't worth the paper the scholarships are printed on.

Yet the company I work for hires engineers every cycle for 85k+ starting, accountants at 60 starting, amongst many others.

You meant to say…a degree is worth shite if you choose a shite degree
Posted by Open Your Eyes
Member since Nov 2012
9252 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 2:19 pm to
quote:

The universities at major programs make shite tons of money and have on the backs of "amatuers who played for the love of the game" for over a century. About time the kids got a piece of the pie.

It’s always so easy to identify the people that have absolutely no idea what they’re talking about on this topic.
Posted by meansonny
ATL
Member since Sep 2012
25597 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 2:22 pm to
Agreed.
Posted by ForeverEllisHugh
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2016
14807 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 6:58 pm to
quote:

But it's wholly logical to hold the players are "employees". The next step is going to be unionization and collective bargaining, and along with it, I believe, the elimination from the top level of competition schools that just can't compete financially (Sunbelt schools, CUSA, etc, etc.)

This should be fought tooth and nail.

Also, as for Brundage, I read up on him and agree with him - capitalism has its place but doesn’t need to seep into everything. College sports is squarely in that category.
Posted by Floyd Dawg
Silver Creek, GA
Member since Jul 2018
3903 posts
Posted on 5/19/23 at 8:34 pm to
Here’s the big difference.

A D3 student athlete can quit the athlete part and still stay the student part. Their financial aid package isn’t dependent on their athlete status.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 3Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram