Started By
Message

re: New Orleans Native and LSU Alum on UFC Card Saturday Night

Posted on 1/25/11 at 8:28 pm to
Posted by SmackDaniels
Gulf Breeze, FL
Member since Mar 2007
15497 posts
Posted on 1/25/11 at 8:28 pm to
quote:

Gabriel Gonzaga


He was cut brosef
Posted by SmackDaniels
Gulf Breeze, FL
Member since Mar 2007
15497 posts
Posted on 1/25/11 at 8:41 pm to
I'll quote Rich Franklin on gatekeeping.

quote:

Dana White spoke to me and said he wanted me to move up to the light heavyweight division because he didn't want me to be just a gatekeeper.


Rich Franklin has been hands down the second best middleweight (until Vitor came along)so in turn he's not going to beat An Silva he's the gatekeeper.
Posted by Dew Tour Hopeful
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2010
31 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 2:59 pm to
I agree...if you are quality, but just can't make the step up to champion level you are a gatekeeper. Doesn't mean they are not respected and can't fight, it just means they are not champion level fighters...Most of the time the gatekeeper fight is better than the championship fight.
Posted by TheRoarRestoredInBR
Member since Dec 2004
31120 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 6:44 pm to
This post was edited on 1/31/11 at 11:06 am
Posted by St Augustine
The Pauper of the Surf
Member since Mar 2006
72131 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 7:14 pm to
quote:

Hey Tigerinstaugustine,

Check out Barry's shirt



nice
Posted by Maximus
Member since Feb 2004
81646 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 7:32 pm to
So if you can't make it past Kenny Florian then you arent in the gate. That leaves what 2-3 people inside the gate at any given time?
Posted by SmackDaniels
Gulf Breeze, FL
Member since Mar 2007
15497 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 7:39 pm to
Yea 2-3 guys that are potential no.1 contenders.

That would be Guida, Pettis and who I missing


Just my opinion.
Posted by LSUFan3434
Iowa, LA
Member since Sep 2006
15964 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 8:10 pm to
whomever posted that interview with pat
Posted by L S Usetheforce
Member since Jun 2004
23283 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 8:25 pm to
I hope they schedule that fight now...........that dude is a douche talking shite about Pat's emotions.
Posted by Cash
Vail
Member since Feb 2005
37635 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 8:52 pm to
quote:

Yea 2-3 guys that are potential no.1 contenders.

That would be Guida, Pettis and who I missing


Maynard
Posted by SmackDaniels
Gulf Breeze, FL
Member since Mar 2007
15497 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 9:48 pm to
quote:

Maynard


Good lord how did I miss that. He's only fighting in the title fight as the number one contender.
Posted by UFownstSECsince1950
Member since Dec 2009
32814 posts
Posted on 1/26/11 at 9:57 pm to
bendo
Posted by Maximus
Member since Feb 2004
81646 posts
Posted on 1/31/11 at 12:49 pm to

quote:

Rumors are flying around that perennial top UFC lightweight contender Kenny Florian will be dropping from his normal 155-pound weight class to featherweight at 145 pounds.

The rumor really picked up yesterday afternoon when fellow UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard was a guest on Heath Herrring and Jay Pagliaro’s The Show radio show. Words have been exchanged between Florian and Guillard over the past month or two, which obviously led to speculation that the two may be stepping into the cage soon.

When asked about a potential fight with Florian, Guillard said that he had talked to UFC president Dana White earlier in the day and that White had informed him that Florian was in the process of, “dropping to 145.”

“Everybody wants to see me fight Kenny,” Guillard continued, “but Kenny’s talking smack and he’s not even at 155 anymore.”

Guillard was noticeably upset about the news and wanted to point out that he is not the reason that the fight will not be happening. He believes that he has been disrespected by Florian in recent weeks but if what he’s saying is true, we may never see a fight between two of the UFC’s top 155-pounders.

Instead, Florian may be chasing another fight that he has been discussing recently, one with current UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo.


According to Tatame.com’s Eduardo Ferreira in October of 2010, Aldo was offered an opportunity to move up to 155 pounds and fight Florian.

“Aldo said he had the opportunity to move up and make his UFC debut in December against Kenny Florian,” Ferreira said. “But his manager didn’t think it was a good time.”

Florian himself says that he was never offered the fight but that he would jump on it in an instant.

“Neither myself or my manager Malki Kawa have been offered Jose Aldo, but that would be a dream fight,” Florian wrote on Twitter. “I would take that fight with quickness. Aldo is as good as it gets and one of the best pound-for-pound. Who wouldn’t want to take that fight?! I’m here to fight the best.”

Aldo is currently in line to fight top contender Mark Hominick who recently dominated George Hoop in his return to the UFC at Fight for the Troops 2 last Saturday night.

A move to 145 pounds may be wise for Florian as according to Melvin Guillard, “He’s had numerous chances to be in the No. 1 contender’s spot, and he choked.”

The biggest question in this move may be whether 145 pounds is too small for Florian who already looks very thin at 155 pounds.

Florian actually began his UFC career as a heavily undersized middleweight (185-pound weight limit) on the first season of The Ultimate Fighter. Though he lost in the finals to Diego Sanchez, Florian showed his competitive spirit by fighting against opponents who were naturally much larger than him.


He quickly made his debut at 170 pounds by knocking out fellow TUF competitor Alex Karalexis. He fought one more time at welterweight before making the permanent drop to the newly created 155-pound lightweight division, where he would quickly become a top contender for years to come.

The jump down to 145 pounds would represent nearly a 40-pound difference from Florian’s UFC debut weight and a whole new set of opponents for him to advance his already very successful MMA career.

Florian has not yet confirmed nor denied the move, but I hope to get a response from him regarding this situation either by Twitter or in a spoken interview.
Posted by L S Usetheforce
Member since Jun 2004
23283 posts
Posted on 1/31/11 at 2:27 pm to
He is running from the 155s.
Posted by etm512
Mandeville, LA
Member since Aug 2005
21025 posts
Posted on 1/31/11 at 4:04 pm to
Well he sure as hell will never be the LW champ so why not make a run at 145? WIth that said, he doesn't have the strength to handle Aldo IMO.
Posted by DirklasDaDirk
St. Martin Parish
Member since Dec 2010
1498 posts
Posted on 1/31/11 at 10:40 pm to
quote:

Yea 2-3 guys that are potential no.1 contenders.

That would be Guida, Pettis and who I missing


Just my opinion.



George Sotiropoulos, granted he beats Denis Siver later this month
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 9 of 9Next pagelast page
refresh

Back to top
logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on X, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookXInstagram