Started By
re: .

Posted on 6/4/16 at 1:48 pm to
Posted by Front9Bandit
Member since Dec 2013
15432 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 1:48 pm to
quote:

exists when the restaurant brings you the certificate showing it's authentic from from Japan.

Easily faked
Posted by Iowa Golfer
Heaven
Member since Dec 2013
10248 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 1:49 pm to
I've read this.

It was Kobe. I looked at the certificate. They brought the entire chop out to the table, as well as the certificate. Because I questioned it, and suspected it was Wagyu.

They had two entire cuts the evening I was here. It is available from one of their distributors occasionally. They try to keep one always available.

Posted by Canard Noir
Houston
Member since Apr 2014
1397 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 2:04 pm to
quote:

Internet legend. It exists when the restaurant brings you the certificate showing it's authentic from from Japan.

I'm curious as to the certificate they showed you to prove it was straight outta Japan. Is this really a thing? No offense but I'm calling BS. The availability of true Kobe Beef is hardly an internet legend. Bear in mind that I don't think it necessarily needs to be Kobe. There are perfectly good substitutes but the cost of getting true Kobe Beef to your table is astronomical and won't be cheap unless someone is gifting you.
This post was edited on 6/4/16 at 2:10 pm
Posted by notiger1997
Metairie
Member since May 2009
58559 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 2:04 pm to
quote:

There's restaurants where you eat foam that has the "essence" of whatever it is you're supposed to be eating. That's some pinky out shot of I've ever seen it

Serious question, is this a real problem in your world?
There are probably only two restaurants in Nola that might serve food along these lines.
Posted by Tiger Ree
Houston
Member since Jun 2004
24558 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 2:14 pm to
quote:

Put on a jacket sometimes

Just to go eat?

quote:

you freaking cretins

Well, aren't you special.

quote:

at least pretend some part of civilized society still exists

By wearing a sports coat? Where was it ever written that you had to wear slacks, long sleeve shirt, tie and jacket to be civilized? Lawyers and politicians wear ties and jackets. I don't want to be associated with them.
Posted by Iowa Golfer
Heaven
Member since Dec 2013
10248 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 2:19 pm to
It's sold with a certificate authenticating that it is the particular strain of the Wagyu cow.

So for example, the Wynn in LV is directly licensed to import it. Bass St relies on a national distributor, and sometimes has access to it.

I've had Kobe in NY, had it at the Wynn, and I'm not making this up, had it at Bass St. Chop House in Moline, Illinois.

Again, I questioned whether it was Kobe, and they brought out the entire cut (a individual steak cannot be imported, it comes whole, and wrapped) with the Japanese labeling, and the certificate.

You can call Bass St and ask them yourself. Not on their menu, but on what they call their "fresh" menu when it is available.

It is shocking that a place in Moline gets it distributed to them from time to time, but it is true.

I misspoke earlier about $20 per oz being expensive. It's about the norm, but I paid more in LV and NYC obviously.

I like steak. I live where we grow it. I live where the Waygu cow is imported by farmers to be cross bred with Angus cattle for American Kobe, which is Wagyu as it is most commonly known and most commonly available at most restaurants in America.

I get Wagyu anytime I want it at this place here (it's always available, as it is at most slightly above average steak places anywhere in America):

LINK /

I get Kobe when available, and when I'm compelled to spend that kind of money at Bass St.

Moline, Illinois. Part of the Quad Cities MSA, which is only about 475K population.

I questioned this as much as you did, and I know it's difficult to believe, but they have Kobe on occasion.
Posted by pelicansfan123
Member since Jan 2015
2028 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 2:40 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 5/9/20 at 5:53 pm
Posted by Canard Noir
Houston
Member since Apr 2014
1397 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 3:00 pm to
Fair enough, I wasn't trying to be ugly or anything, just a skeptic to a fault sometimes. You seem to have done your homework so I'll take that on it's face. No sense derailing this thread and perhaps a good topic for another...
Posted by Fun Bunch
New Orleans
Member since May 2008
116972 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 3:01 pm to
quote:

By wearing a sports coat? Where was it ever written that you had to wear slacks, long sleeve shirt, tie and jacket to be civilized? Lawyers and politicians wear ties and jackets. I don't want to be associated with them.

You don't want to be associated with educated people? Cool.
Posted by Fun Bunch
New Orleans
Member since May 2008
116972 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 3:05 pm to
Galatoire's is literally the only place in this city that requires a jacket, AND they have jackets available for idiots that didn't bring one. They want to be old school. It's there thing.

On top of that, you picked a poor example as Galatoire's can be a very raucous atmosphere sometimes.

I'm sorry that feel so self conscious about yourself that you think good service or good food is above you. Personally, I think this goes a lot deeper for you. Maybe you should talk to someone.
Posted by BigAppleTiger
New York City
Member since Dec 2008
10405 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 3:16 pm to
quote:

So there's nothing stuffy at all about sending potential paying patrons out the doors because they thought a button-down and tie was enough to go to a restaurant in the French Quarter? Why should I have put on a jacket to, as I alluded to in the past, perform a physiological function, such as eating? It just doesn't make sense.

Your world must be confounding and a chore. "Holy shite, I've got to put on dress jeans for a funeral when I'm just going to pay respect to the dead." Why wear clothes at all? Why not just wear sweatpants everywhere? You don't need clothes for the physiological act of breathing. Your over-concern with "stuffy" and "aloof" leads one to believe the problem lies with how you view yourself rather than all those "high falutin" employees and diners you purport to judge. And btw- I don't think anyone on this board or the planet in general would care if you never decided to put on a jacket to eat out ever again. It is your feckless judgement of others that enjoy this experience which is truly annoying. You did not respond to this conversation, you engendered it to hear pronouncements, so listen up buttercup: Nothing about a so called "fancy" restaurant guarantees an enjoyable experience, just as eating in a "non-pretentious" one doesn't guarantee you any moral or epicurean high ground.
Posted by Iowa Golfer
Heaven
Member since Dec 2013
10248 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 3:22 pm to
Happy to discuss steak anytime.

But on topic, when I said I don't like fancy, maybe I meant I don't like uppity. Bass St as an example if probably fancy, but I'd classify it more classic and/or traditional.

Few places I put on a sport coat to dine at anymore, and often times the places where I'm required to d so are disappointing.

I won't wear cut off blue jeans and a tank top, but I'm not putting on a sport coat unless I'm forced.

Our country clubs here rarely require this any longer, nor do the private dining clubs.

This is a departure for me. I used to be all about dressing up for dinner. I've evolved to dressing appropriate. Appropriate in LV at a high end restaurant is golfs shorts and a collared shirt.

I spend some time in Florida during the winter months. Google New York Prime. That place has cops in the parking lot due to the high value of cars. I can't remember if I wore dockers, I think that's probably what I wore, or shorts.

Way expensive. Way uppity. Not my deal. I get better steaks at much less uppity places than that. Same as Wolfgang Puck's. I've heard guys rave about it on here. My experience at one of his places was tasteless fish doused in paprika. Loud as hell. Not relaxing. Again, not my deal.

But to each their own. If someone wants to dress up, and someone likes Wolfgang Puck's, great, it's just not my preference, and doesn't meet my taste in food.

Some of hte best pizza places in Chicago are hole in the wall places. Dumps to some people.

The best walleye I've ever had is an an older style supper club. salads were horrible. Wilted iceberg, but there broasted chicken and walleye are the best I've had anywhere. Casual.

Food is good. Exercise, for me at least, is also recommended. But my decision has been made. I'm going to eat what I want and smoke cigars. If I die earlier than I should, so be it. Life is hard enough. I'm not going to be miserable.
Posted by Canard Noir
Houston
Member since Apr 2014
1397 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 3:26 pm to
quote:

So there's nothing stuffy at all about sending potential paying patrons out the doors because they thought a button-down and tie was enough to go to a restaurant in the French Quarter? Why should I have put on a jacket to, as I alluded to in the past, perform a physiological function, such as eating? It just doesn't make sense.

99.5% of restaurants around the country no longer have much of a dress code. In a "nice" atmosphere, I'd prefer myself and others appear at least somewhat presentable. There are plenty places I can dress down and eat, gastropubs are a relatively new idea to address the good meal/ dress down attitude that all of us have sometimes.

I've already said why I think Galatoires has the jacket code. They are trying to maintain an atmosphere that is key to their survival. I'll take it a step further, it's in the French Quarter, people are drunk and wearing t-shirts, cargo shorts, and flip flops. If you want to maintain an old school "fancy" experience on Bourbon St, is it so ridiculous to wear a sport coat and closed toed shoes? What level of decorum do you think is appropriate?
Posted by pelicansfan123
Member since Jan 2015
2028 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 3:49 pm to
(no message)
Posted by pelicansfan123
Member since Jan 2015
2028 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 3:53 pm to
(no message)
Posted by Martini
Near Athens
Member since Mar 2005
48887 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 4:05 pm to
quote:

You know what, I do like bread and crackers when they are available, but a lot of the places they have bread and crackers are actually quite cheap, and I would never go to a fancy restaurant just because they have bread and crackers.

For me, when I've went to Galletoires before, while the food has been very good, the atmosphere is very aloof, to me, and makes me uncomfortable. It, again, to me, seems like too much of a stuffy institution for my taste. I'm not saying that the people who go there are stuffy, but rather, the vibe that the restaurant atmosphere gives off in the way management has set it up gives it a very elitist aura, and this makes me uncomfortable

To be honest, I don't want my napkin folded for me by the waiter when I get up to use the restroom, I don't want to be treated as if I am royalty, I just want good food and a laid back atmosphere. For me, with Copa America soccer on television, it would be great if, during dinner, I could kick back and watch some soccer while eating pretty good, cheap food. That is a much more enjoyable experience for me than sweating through my button-down while I eat food that I know will cost hundreds of dollars.

Not mention that if men are just going to put the sport coat on back of the chairs before sitting down, then what's point of making them put it on for the ten seconds they walk to their table? It just seems stupid to me.

The atmosphere is not all of as you have said several times. The patron (you) apparently are "aloof".

If you are uncomfortable, don't want your napkin folded, want to watch soccer and apparently have an aversion to a sport coat than pick a place and be done with it. I wear a blazer or sport coat because I enjoy it. Not to endure it and I don't "sweat" through it. I've only taken my coat off at dinner 3 times and all three were the Chefs table at Commanders which is in the kitchen and they encourage you because of the heat. But they have a coat rack so I didn't hang it on the back of my chair like a Members Only jacket.

And where does the food for you cost "hundreds of dollars?'

Frankly with your complaints I think you are doing it wrong.
Posted by Canard Noir
Houston
Member since Apr 2014
1397 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 4:12 pm to
quote:

upholding a conduct code in the restaurant

See, here's the issue, have you ever seen a drunk patron removed from a restaurant? Has anyone ever, in the history of the world, done it without making a scene? You're going to remove an unruly customer who's making a scene and still get him to pay? I'm arguing that very few places have a jacket requirement anymore, that Galatoires does it for a reason. You've admitted that at least flip flops are probably not appropriate, so what are we talking about? Is there something more to this that you're not telling us?
Posted by pelicansfan123
Member since Jan 2015
2028 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 4:25 pm to
(no message)
Posted by LSUZombie
A Cemetery Near You
Member since Apr 2008
28922 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 4:34 pm to
quote:

Many of the best restaurants are no longer formal fancy places. Those days are dead in some ways.

There are many places that have high end food but aren't overly formal.

Much of this is due to us living in a very touristy city, so it's not uncommon to see people in suits eating next to a family who was out enjoying the city.

And the beautiful thing is New Orleans residents don't care. The city is The Big Easy, and residents are more happy that someone is enjoying the culinary scene of the place they call home rather than judge them for the clothes they wear while doing so.

So to the OP, got buy a New Orleans travel guide and a large camera and if you bring those with you to any restaurant, no one will bat an eye to what you are wearing.
Posted by LSUZombie
A Cemetery Near You
Member since Apr 2008
28922 posts
Posted on 6/4/16 at 4:40 pm to
quote:

long have you been open?"
Him: "A little over a month."
Me: "I'll give you another month tops".
Then we walked out.
The restaurant closed down the next month.

Your wife doesn't allow you to have cheese in the house. There's no way I believe this conversation took place.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 6Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram