re: .

Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:02 pm to
Posted by TrueTiger
Chicken's most valuable
Member since Sep 2004
68878 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:02 pm to
I can stay out of cars if I want too.

Ebola is going to be left to the hand of fate.
Posted by Mr.Perfect
Louisiana
Member since Mar 2013
17444 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:12 pm to
quote:

No, I'm giving al little perspective to show how much emotions play a role in our reactions/outrage to certain threats.

this is so stupid.

if you made a graph of ebola infection % in the western hemisphere .... the chart would be beginning of time through September 2014 = 0 September 2014 through today = 3

I bet that would be one hell of a spike
Posted by livewire
Member since Aug 2008
999 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:13 pm to
With this CDC in charge, your analogy would be equivalent to allowing driving 100 mph into on-coming traffic.

"Just AVOID direct contact and you'll be OK !"
Posted by livewire
Member since Aug 2008
999 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:18 pm to
quote:

I'm giving al little perspective to show how much emotions play a role in our reactions/outrage to certain threats.

I think a lot of the "outrage" is a result of how incompetent/inconsistent the administration's reaction has been.
Posted by gatorrocks
Lake Mary, FL
Member since Oct 2007
13969 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:22 pm to
quote:

Yet, people are exponentially more outraged and worried about Guns.

FIFY

I find it amazing how many people have no problem handing over the keys to a car to a 16 year old yet balk when parents teach their kids how to shoot a gun.

Amazing.
Posted by geauxturbo
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2007
4204 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:34 pm to
quote:

Yet, people are exponentially more outraged and worried about Ebola.

Thats 2500 more (vehicle) deaths and 1 more (Ebola) death than have died from Global Warming in the US.

Yet, much outrage from a global 1* increase in F over 20 years. If that much.

This post was edited on 10/16/14 at 9:35 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:36 pm to
Guns
Posted by NC_Tigah
Carolinas
Member since Sep 2003
124668 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:37 pm to
quote:

Thats 2500 more (vehicle) deaths and 1 more (Ebola) death than have died from Global Warming in the US.
Posted by zeebo
Hammond
Member since Jan 2008
5218 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 9:53 pm to
Read The Hot Zone. 1994 nonfiction book about Ebola . Then tell me what perspective you have.
Posted by CamdenTiger
Member since Aug 2009
62726 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 10:28 pm to
People scared of what they are scared of. I'll probably never die from a great White shark, but I'm still scared every dang time I go to the ocean, and will probably die of heart disease, of which, I couldn't give a crap about...Its just human nature....
Posted by SquirrelyBama
Member since Nov 2011
6389 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 11:04 pm to
My qoute "I have a funny feeling that Obama would be more pleased to halt traffic than these flights out of Africa. Obama's ideology is what drives him the most and nothing else. Dangerous thing, a very dangerous thing to give power too."

asurob1 quote
"You know how I know you're not very bright?"

Prove me wrong, I'm willing to listen to anyone
Snow me something that says Obama isn't driven by his ideology while making everything about politics with him. Obama would probably be more pleased stopping cars(Green) while catering to his party. Than doing what one should probably do when a deadly disease,Ebola, can cross your doorstep. Obama's ideology and being such a hardcore leftist has skewed his decision making skills. Plus, skewed his governing skills too. I try to read many sources instead of just exposing myself to what I might just agree with at 1st. I've found plenty of evidence of Obama being the way I've explained, and not much showing Obama not being this. Lately it's like everyone has woken up or something, but that's probably self preservation at work here though, especially politically. I'm willing to bet the future sides with my thinking too, once Historians get done with Obama. So let the unbiased links fly away showing Obama not being what I say Obama is. I'll read whatever argument you bring to table saying otherwise....

Insulting others thoughts isn't my thing
Either is English, but I get by.....

This post was edited on 10/16/14 at 11:06 pm
Posted by Alahunter
Member since Jan 2008
90739 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 11:15 pm to
quote:

2500+ Americans will die in automobile accidents in November

That's a whole helluva lot more than will die in mass shootings in a decade. I reckon yall can shut your pie holes about that too.
Posted by the808bass
The Lou
Member since Oct 2012
111802 posts
Posted on 10/16/14 at 11:22 pm to
quote:

That's a whole helluva lot more than will die in mass shootings in a decade. I reckon yall can shut your pie holes about that too.

Well this thread isn't going as planned at all.
Posted by Asgard Device
The Daedalus
Member since Apr 2011
11562 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 1:06 am to
quote:

Who is "yall" and what is your point?

I get your desire to create a strawman fallacy, but you're basically saying that I'm right in the same way that conservatives are right about mass shootings?

Maybe I just can't take a compliment well, but it would help if you guys took a deep breath and stopped using the lizard brain for a second. Not every tragedy is an opportunity to tie into our perceived political narratives.
Posted by EA6B
TX
Member since Dec 2012
14754 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 1:43 am to
LINK

Just for kicks this is some mortality data from the CDC for the year 2010

Flu and Pneumonia is pretty interesting at 53,826 deaths.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
•Heart disease: 596,577
•Cancer: 576,691
•Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 142,943
•Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,932
•Accidents (unintentional injuries): 126,438
•Alzheimer's disease: 84,974
•Diabetes: 73,831
•Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,826
•Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,591
•Intentional self-harm (suicide): 39,518
Posted by USMCTiger03
Member since Sep 2007
71176 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 6:14 am to
Auto accidents are a consequence of a necessity, auto travel.

Ebola in the US (at least to a significant degree) is a consequence of having a shitty inept president.
Posted by SquirrelyBama
Member since Nov 2011
6389 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 6:26 am to
If the odds could be decreased a bunch to whether or not cancer reached our shores. Would you do that step to make that happen? Sure seem like the logical step to me, and all those other disease total numbers don't really matter here. Hopefully Ebola gets the attention it deserves after all this because it's scary. Plus, people can do things to help prevent(No smoking, eating right, etc....) those other deceases illness. Ebola not to much, you get it by someone Else's actions. Why this no fly or fly is even being debated in beyond me. We've got the Military that can carry supplies, and the excuses the administration is giving. Is like all this Administrations other excuses, lame......

* Right now, someone could easily get on a plane to get to America. 150 possibilities a day they're guessing with open flight happening.
* Or do you make it tougher and do steps(Stop Flights) to slow those numbers down 15 fold(0-5 Ebola person a day maybe)

I love math, and I'm no gambler
But 150 compared to possible 0-5 is less of a chance.
I'll take the 2nd odds all day long

Hopefully no one is boarding a plane with Ebola
To someones hometown here
This post was edited on 10/17/14 at 7:25 am
Posted by ItNeverRains
Member since Oct 2007
25916 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 7:02 am to
If A car's exhaust blows on my car and later gets in a wreck, will my car then be next to get in a wreck.

Posted by the808bass
The Lou
Member since Oct 2012
111802 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 7:26 am to
quote:

Not every tragedy is an opportunity to tie into our perceived political narratives.

Says the guy who started this thread:
quote:

2500+ Americans will die in automobile accidents

Posted by RCDfan1950
United States
Member since Feb 2007
35161 posts
Posted on 10/17/14 at 7:54 am to
What's your point, AD...that auto accidents are more dangerous than an Ebola pandemic?

Book it, HN-1 anti-biotic resistant bacteria and Staph kill a ton of our folk too; and therein, it is the obvious and innate weakness in our health care mechanisms that reveal the potential disaster awaiting us if (more like when) Ebola is brought to our populous in big numbers.

I heard that Obama has expedited visas from W. African Nations. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram