re: .

Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:30 pm to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:30 pm to
quote:

maybe they aren't banning rifles because of gun related crimes, but because of the mass killings that occur. I get where you are coming from but there are two sides to every coin
I'm very glad you want to go down that rabbit hole. let's keep this purely logical. Why are they concerned with just these victims? What about the victims of all muders...take that out further, why aren't they concerned about the people strangled, stabbed, drowned, beaten, run down/over, etc. The number of victims of mass shootings is dwarfed by the number of victims of every other type of murder victim.

So why this legislation, which does the least?

quote:

don't really know if this is true. a quick google job does not seem to indicate this as true. maybe i was scanning the info too quickly however. Granted even if true, why wouldn't you look at a comparable statistic like death rates?
he does take into account of unsolved murder rates.

That's the irrelevant part (I happen to find that interesting); however, England isn't a lawless country, but it is another text book example of what will happen when you ban guns. Crime increases dramatically.

quote:

Im really not trying to get in on this argument though just saying the misinformation goes both ways.

not in this debate, it takes some serious work to crunch the statistics on the side of gun control.

Posted by petar
Miami
Member since May 2009
5989 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:36 pm to
quote:

Crime increases dramatically.

For a relatively short period and then decreases to pre-ban levels as you have stated. What if over the next 15 years these numbers continue to decline as they have been doing.

quote:

So why this legislation, which does the least?

I don't know.. im sure the thought process goes something like this: it is prbly a good idea to bring together legislation that prevents all types of crime. But for the time being, while we are having a problem with mass shootings. lets limit one person's ability to kill dozens at the blink of an eye. we don't like one deranged person to be able to casuse pain to hundreds of people in a single incident.
quote:

why aren't they concerned about the people strangled, stabbed, drowned, beaten, run down/over, etc.

if we had mass stragglers, then im sure this would get some more concern.

I don't necessarily agree with this line of thought. but its not that outrageous or illogical.
Posted by AbuTheMonkey
Chicago, IL
Member since May 2014
8002 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:37 pm to
quote:

maybe they aren't banning rifles because of gun related crimes, but because of the mass killings that occur. I get where you are coming from but there are two sides to every coin

Except that handguns are also used in about 50% of mass murders (assault rifles, or whatever you wish to call them, in only about 24%).

The deadliest shooting by a single gunman in American history was perpetrated by a guy using a bunch of pistols.
Posted by petar
Miami
Member since May 2009
5989 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:40 pm to
quote:

Except that handguns are also used in about 50% of mass murders (assault rifles, or whatever you wish to call them, in only about 24%).

so what you want these legislators to include handguns into what is restricted?

i dont get your point
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:42 pm to
quote:

think you are confusing gun control advocates with politicians trying to appeal to them in the weakest way possible

they're the same. Though I will admit, the advocate/lobby side will sometimes admit that they want them all gone.

quote:

would like gun registration, and some "timeouts" for gun owners who seem to continuously have them stolen / misplaced.

you mean people who report them stolen or after the fact? This really isn't a problem when it comes to firearms used in crimes.

quote:

Nuts shouldn't have access to them.

quote:

you like the "slippery slope" argument

yeah, I can't imagine that. I don't like the argument, it is true. They're trying to ban guns and they don't know dick about them. You think the same people should have the authority of determining what is and is not "nuts" Like they do not know anything about guns they do not know anything about mental illness...adhd gun ban coming soon
Posted by lsu13lsu
Member since Jan 2008
11476 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:42 pm to
The liberals are so wrong on who they are trying to punish with this legislation that it can only be sinister. They want to have a population who cannot fight back against total takeover.

The other thing is it is beyond clear they are trying to punish whites. Why do they never admit most gun crime comes from bad neighborhoods in big cities where whites are the minority? It is offensive they blame whites for this problem which is where most of the outrage comes from.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:44 pm to
quote:

so what you want these legislators to include handguns into what is restricted?

Yes, I want them to be philosophically consistent.

It is what they want long term anyway. I have more respect for people who will admit that they think they should be banned, it's amazing how much more of a rational discussion can be had, especially when one side isn't being incredibly dishonest
Posted by JOJO Hammer
Member since Nov 2010
11919 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:44 pm to
quote:

but because of the mass killings that occur.

Why not address the root cause of this problem. All these people who have committed these mass murders (school shooting, theater, and so on) were on some type of PYSCOSOMATIC DRUGS. Every one! But anti-gun people don't want to address that issue.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:47 pm to
quote:

Why do they never admit most gun crime comes from bad neighborhoods in big cities where whites are the minority? It is offensive they blame whites for this problem which is where most of the outrage comes from.

no comment, and irrelevant to where we're going. Though Dante had a great thread on this awhile back.
Posted by lsu13lsu
Member since Jan 2008
11476 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:48 pm to
quote:

we are having a problem with mass shootings. lets limit one person's ability to kill dozens at the blink of an eye. we don't like one deranged person to be able to casuse pain to hundreds of people in a single incident.

The rarity of the mass killing versus every weekend in Chicago or on the border with Mexico or New Orleans. Where is the real gun problem? Poor minority communities. Not with the NRA card carriers.
Posted by GeauxxxTigers23
TeamBunt General Manager
Member since Apr 2013
62514 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:48 pm to
quote:

Why do Gun Control Advocates Intentionally Mislead the Public?

Why wouldn't they? Their target demographic is easily manipulated.
This post was edited on 6/18/14 at 1:49 pm
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67069 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:49 pm to
because they can't convince people using only the truth
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:51 pm to
again, no comment

Tigerdroppings: talk about black people, we ban you. But outright hatred of jewry is totally acceptable, I mean LSU right?
Posted by lsu13lsu
Member since Jan 2008
11476 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:51 pm to
quote:

irrelevant to where we're going.

This thread is about misleading the public. The most misleading point, imo, is that mass shootings are some huge problem. It is poor minority based communities around the country where most violent crimes take place.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:52 pm to
alright, I don't think its irrelevant, but I don't want to get banned, ok?

Posted by lsu13lsu
Member since Jan 2008
11476 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:53 pm to
Agreed, end of my rant. My point has been made.
Posted by monsterballads
Make LSU Great Again
Member since Jun 2013
29266 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:54 pm to
quote:

Where is the real gun problem? Poor minority communities. Not with the NRA card carriers.

statistics show this as a fact, but facts are meaningless when it comes to the gun debate for liberals.
Posted by petar
Miami
Member since May 2009
5989 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:54 pm to
quote:

Yes, I want them to be philosophically consistent.

thats not how this country's legal system/constitutionality system works though.

Is there a substantial government interest?
Is this the least restrictive way to accomplish this goal?
etc...

Its similar to how restricting federal money in the 18 or 21 drinking age was not coercive to a certain point. but after x% it was. that is not philosophically consistent.

Here, there is a legitimate reasons to have hand guns that are a lot harder to make for assault rifles.

quote:

Why not address the root cause of this problem. All these people who have committed these mass murders (school shooting, theater, and so on) were on some type of PYSCOSOMATIC DRUGS. Every one! But anti-gun people don't want to address that issue

we don't want to provide people with health insurance much less deal with the mental health problems this country faces.
Posted by ReauxlTide222
St. Petersburg
Member since Nov 2010
83457 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:57 pm to
quote:

limit one person's ability to kill dozens at the blink of an eye

You really think some new law would keep people who want to kill dozens of people from doing so?
Posted by petar
Miami
Member since May 2009
5989 posts
Posted on 6/18/14 at 1:59 pm to
quote:

Not with the NRA card carriers

not even england bans guns for people who have done the required permits etc.

Plus people can still have assault rifles here who have the correct permits.

don't know why this point is made...

quote:

every weekend in Chicago or on the border with Mexico or New Orleans. Where is the real gun problem?

Dont you think people are trying to solve these issues as well?
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram