Page 1
Page 1
Started By
Message
locked post

Anadarko responsible for house explosion, deaths, injuries, in CO....

Posted on 5/2/17 at 7:53 pm
Posted by ColoradoAg03
Denver, CO
Member since Oct 2012
6688 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 7:53 pm
Prayers for the family and friends of the two who died as a result.

Firestone FD led the investigation, which was supported by the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC), contractors, and Anadarko's full cooperation.

quote:

An abandoned gas line that had never been disconnected from a nearby well was at the root of a deadly home explosion in Firestone on April 17, investigators announced Tuesday afternoon.

Ted Poszywak, chief of the Frederick-Firestone Fire Protection District, said the cut line allowed unrefined, odorless gas to enter the home through a French drain and a sump pit in the basement.

The April 17 blast at 6312 Twilight Ave. killed brothers-in-law Mark Martinez and Joey Irwin III, both 42, and critically injured Erin Martinez, Mark Martinez’s wife who is a science teacher at Mountain Range High School.

The couple’s 11-year-old son was also hurt, although he was released from the hospital the same day and is with family.



quote:

Poszywak said investigators found two abandoned gas lines running to the well that were apparently cut near the foundation of the home, which was built in 2015. The second line was disconnected from the well and properly capped and posed no danger.

The other line was still connected to the well. The well, which was shut down for all of 2016, was restarted Jan. 28. Poszywak said it was possible gas had been leaking out of the cut line since then.

The explosion leveled the home in the Oak Meadows subdivision, and the subsequent fire was intense.

The bodies of the two men who died were located in the basement the following day.


LINK


UPDATE: Anadarko's statement....

quote:

HOUSTON, May 2, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: APC) provided the following statement regarding the Frederick-Firestone Fire Protection District's results of investigation into the tragic accident in Firestone, Colo., which occurred on April 17. "I know I speak for everyone at Anadarko when I say that our thoughts and prayers remain with the Martinez and Irwin families as they continue to mourn the loss of their loved ones," said Al Walker, Anadarko Chairman, President and CEO. "The safety of our employees and the people who live and work in the communities in which we operate is our number one priority. Consistent with that, and out of an abundance of caution, last week we shut in our vertical wells in the Oak Meadows area and throughout the basin. We hope that doing so also provided some additional reassurance to the community in the wake of this tragic accident. We will continue to take all necessary and appropriate steps in that regard, and will continue to cooperate fully with all ongoing investigations to ensure we fully understand the basis for the fire district's conclusions and that no stone is left unturned prior to any final determinations."

The company also will continue to work with the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC) on additional steps or actions the agency deems necessary.
This post was edited on 5/2/17 at 8:40 pm
Posted by Cosmo
glassman's guest house
Member since Oct 2003
132634 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:15 pm to
Awful

Family bout to be millionaires though
Posted by The Boat
Member since Oct 2008
178333 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:19 pm to
Lol damn. Just texted my friend who works for Anadarko and he replied with just a stock price falling emoji.
Posted by ColoradoAg03
Denver, CO
Member since Oct 2012
6688 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:19 pm to
No doubt.

No statement from APC yet, I'm sure there are several people still at the office in The Woodlands tonight.

That well an its flowlines changed operators multiple times. Even though APC is the current owner/operator of the facility, I wonder if they can sue whichever previous operator failed to abandon that line properly?
Posted by LSUpetro
Baton Rouge
Member since Jan 2007
532 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:24 pm to
How is Anadarko responsible when the article suggest the subdivision contractor likely severed a gas line during construction?
Posted by ColoradoAg03
Denver, CO
Member since Oct 2012
6688 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:29 pm to
The line was not disconnected from the wellhead when it was abandoned, as is required by state regulations.

ETA: If you don't disconnect a line from the well and just cap the end, you have a line extending who knows how long full of produced hydrocarbons from the well.
This post was edited on 5/2/17 at 8:32 pm
Posted by Tiger Ryno
#WoF
Member since Feb 2007
108726 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:30 pm to
Terrible news. The OG industry already had a bad rap in hippyville.
Posted by ShaneTheLegLechler
Member since Dec 2011
63734 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:31 pm to
quote:

That well an its flowlines changed operators multiple times. Even though APC is the current owner/operator of the facility, I wonder if they can sue whichever previous operator failed to abandon that line properly?


I think this type of stuff is covered in standard acquisition agreements but who knows. Also very possible there is no company to sue. There are plenty flowlines running under new construction houses in parts of TX as well FWIW
Posted by chauncey1
Member since May 2010
299 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:42 pm to
It sounds like the well was not plugged and abandoned, rather just shut in. APC had intention to produce the well so they wouldn't have disconnected the line.

It sounds like the construction company damaged the lines. With out all the details, I would ask if the contractor was negligent building over the lines?

APC potentially could be negligent if they were metering at the wellhead and there was a production imbalance that they failed to catch.

Either way, all parties involved will be sued and a terrible tragedy occurred.
This post was edited on 5/2/17 at 8:44 pm
Posted by ColoradoAg03
Denver, CO
Member since Oct 2012
6688 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:44 pm to
It's my understanding the well was SI, then they turned it back on in late January and it was still producing at the time of the incident.
Posted by Spankum
The Sip
Member since Jan 2007
63288 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:46 pm to
quote:

That well an its flowlines changed operators multiple times. Even though APC is the current owner/operator of the facility, I wonder if they can sue whichever previous operator failed to abandon that line properly?


they will sue every entity that can be vaguely connected to the operation of that line...and unfortunately, the big winners will be plaintiff's attorneys. part of the cost of doing business for the company.
Posted by LSUpetro
Baton Rouge
Member since Jan 2007
532 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:52 pm to
the article is poorly written & suggest the well was never abandoned nor mentions both flow lines had to be abandoned... obviously one line was active since the well was active...still dont see Anadarko liable for producing a well.

the person severing the line should be responsible
Posted by chauncey1
Member since May 2010
299 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:54 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 5/2/17 at 8:56 pm
Posted by ColoradoAg03
Denver, CO
Member since Oct 2012
6688 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 8:59 pm to
Ya I'd be curious to know about the actual active flowline they meant to produce the well through. If this abandoned line was capped but not disconnected and they never knew, it's basically just extra static capacity that wouldn't really effect main line pressure or the meter.
Posted by ForeverLSU02
Albany
Member since Jun 2007
52585 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 9:46 pm to
Damn a buddy of mine worked for them in Denver for a while after we graduated 9 years ago
Posted by kengel2
Team Gun
Member since Mar 2004
33865 posts
Posted on 5/2/17 at 9:53 pm to
We have a family friend that built a house recently. House was fully built and then gas company comes in and says their line isn't where it was supposed to be, its like 50 feet off. Just happens to be like 3 feet from the house they just built.

Was in court for years, they still live there. Ill have to find out what the gas company paid out. They sure aren't hurting for money by their lifestyle.

This sounds like the same thing. Someone somewhere didn't do their job. Screw them, they deserve whatever they get and someone needs to go to jail for killing these people.
first pageprev pagePage 1 of 1Next pagelast page
refresh

Back to top
logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on X, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookXInstagram