re: .

Posted on 11/6/17 at 7:55 am to
Posted by meeple
Carcassonne
Member since May 2011
9354 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 7:55 am to
quote:

The prequels totally ruined the entire franchise for me. Now when I see the original trilogy you realize what a hack Lucas is at writing dialogue. If people could watch the original movies with an unbiased opinion, they'd get ravaged. I've seen Star Wars and Empire in the last 6 months and could barely get through them. All because the prequel garbage makes me go back and look at the first movies with a more jaundiced eye.

Lucas didn’t write Empire or Jedi. The writing in those two alone surpass any of the drek contained in the prequels. Star Wars (ANH) was an anomaly from Lucas in terms of pulling it off.
Posted by meeple
Carcassonne
Member since May 2011
9354 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 8:07 am to
quote:

There's a whole other subset of a-hole who refuses to watch anything after ROTJ since it's no longer canon with some fricking book trilogy or role playing game someone else created 22 years ago. Those people may be worse.

I’ve seen the prequels and I have purposely avoided showing these to my 8 year old. Not because I turn my nose at them (I do) or because that are inferior (they are), but instead because I want my children to appreciate the OT for what they are. Once they are mature enough to understand that without complaining about the “graphics,” (they don’t currently), then introduce the prequels. I’ll probably just wait and introduce them after Episode IX in 2 more years. I’m not in a real rush to do so as it’s not as important to the current continuity.
This post was edited on 11/6/17 at 8:08 am
Posted by partywiththelombardi
Member since May 2012
11588 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 8:18 am to
I don't blame anyone who was smart enough to skip the prequels...however anyone who still hasn't seen the OT probably hates happiness.
Posted by Burhead
Member since Dec 2014
2099 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 8:19 am to
quote:

There's a whole other subset of a-hole who refuses to watch anything after ROTJ since it's no longer canon with some fricking book trilogy or role playing game someone else created 22 years ago. Those people may be worse.

To be fair, a NJO/Yuuzhan Vong or Thrawn trilogy would be a lot better than what we're getting with the sequels.
Posted by TU Rob
Birmingham
Member since Nov 2008
12737 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 12:08 pm to
Depends on their ages. The first trilogy ended when I was 2 years old. By the time I was old enough to watch them, I was watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns and He-Man cartoons. And I was a senior in High School when the prequels started coming out. Wasn't into fantasy or sci-fi stuff back then. I've gone back and watched most of them, except for the latest ones. But I can see how if you were a certain age and didn't have much interest in the genre where you could have not seen them.
Posted by McCaigBro69
TigerDroppings Premium Member
Member since Oct 2014
45086 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 12:45 pm to
My roommate has never seen any of them. I? have them all on blu-ray.

He asked to watch them on a weekend a few months ago and we started ‘A New Hope’ and he left the room 30-40 minutes in and never came back.

I guess it’s a lost cause.
Posted by VoxDawg
Glory, Glory
Member since Sep 2012
59788 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 4:23 pm to
quote:

To be fair, a NJO/Yuuzhan Vong or Thrawn trilogy would be a lot better than what we're getting with the sequels.

Thrawn, absolutely. NJO/Yuuzhan Vong? No thank you.
Posted by LittleJerrySeinfield
350,000 Post Karma
Member since Aug 2013
7681 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 4:33 pm to
quote:

floyd of pink

quote:

I’ve seen most of them. I just think they’re overrated. I get my nerd fix watching marvel and (ugh) DC.

Me, too. Bad acting and bad dialogue.
This post was edited on 11/6/17 at 4:35 pm
Posted by St Augustine
The Pauper of the Surf
Member since Mar 2006
64177 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 7:23 pm to
quote:

Order of release or chronological order?

order of release
Posted by OceanMan
Member since Mar 2010
20010 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 7:55 pm to
quote:

not a fan of fiction at all.

Then what the frick are you doing on this board?

I'm sorry for being rude, but wtf?
Posted by eddieray
Lafayette
Member since Mar 2006
18023 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 9:16 pm to
I've never seen any of them. Just don't think I'd like them, not my thing.
Posted by Roaring Cowboy
MoWata
Member since Aug 2017
627 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 9:59 pm to
I’ve never seen a Star Wars movie
Posted by randomways
North Carolina
Member since Aug 2013
12988 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 10:09 pm to
quote:

I think they fall into 2 categories:

1. They have seen a Star Wars movie and just say they haven't. (Liars)

2. Assholes

I fall into the third. I saw the first three as a kid, liked them well enough but liked the action figures more, and never really fell in love with the SW universe so I stopped caring about the rest of the movies. I'm more of a Blade Runner / Solyaris slow-burn sort of sci-fi movie fan. Just a legitimate difference in taste even though some SW fans take it personally for some reason, as if I'm casting judgement on their choices. (I'm not, except to say Lucas is a terrible writer and should have turned those duties over to better people while sticking to universe-building.)

Not really a fan of the Star Trek stuff either, though I did get into DS9 for a while.

Edit: One of my close friend's husband spent months re-editing "Star Wars" -- or all three original movies, I'm not sure -- to make it more exciting. Or something. We still managed to get along just fine despite the constant threat of a nerdgasm drowning us all.
This post was edited on 11/6/17 at 10:15 pm
Posted by randomways
North Carolina
Member since Aug 2013
12988 posts
Posted on 11/6/17 at 10:11 pm to
quote:

Then what the frick are you doing on this board?

I'm sorry for being rude, but wtf?

Not all movies and TV shows are fiction.
Posted by TeddyPadillac
Member since Dec 2010
25497 posts
Posted on 11/7/17 at 8:31 am to
quote:

Not all movies and TV shows are fiction.

All movies and tv shows are meant to draw your interest, and if the truth isn't interesting enough, then they make shite up. There is no such thing as a true non-fiction movie or tv show.
Posted by BulldogXero
Member since Oct 2011
9763 posts
Posted on 11/7/17 at 9:15 am to
Looking at it objectively, I guess I can see it. I mean, I'd never seen a James Bond film until Spectre. I was a senior in high school before I ever saw Indiana Jones.

I had never seen Alien until last year.
This post was edited on 11/7/17 at 9:15 am
Posted by Scoob
Near Exxon
Member since Jun 2009
20362 posts
Posted on 11/7/17 at 10:22 am to
quote:

Maybe if they're total video game nerds who don't use their TV's to watch TV or movies I could understand.
Maybe younger gamers that could apply.

Don't forget that the OT actually helped kickstart the gaming craze.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 3Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram