Posted on 1/13/23 at 1:16 pm to
quote:

willing to be deputized if I can drink on the job

You think they are sober on the route?
Posted by inspectweld
Member since Feb 2021
665 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 1:25 pm to
Mardi Gras not only attracts tourist, it also attracts a lot of pickpockets and other criminals from all over so they can practice their craft. We found a Schwegmann bag full of already gone through wallets downtown years ago. We alerted a cop in the area and he told us later that day it was a man and woman dressed as Mexicans with ponchos on to disguise their hand actions. The criminals will have a field day especially with the lack of security and soft on crime admin. in New Orleans these days.
Posted by ShoeBang
Member since May 2012
19357 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 1:28 pm to
quote:

Teedy straight lighting NOLA taxpayers' money on fire. Wonder who is getting kickbacks on this sham...

The bill to the city for that labor is probably 2x that, the excess pays for visits to city apartments and first class flights for her rapper-esque entourage
Posted by LNCHBOX
Member since Jun 2009
84081 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 1:35 pm to
quote:

Just because you don't understand how staffing the parades work

So your contention is that there are going to be no extra costs relative to previous years with farming all this extra policing out?

Posted by fightin tigers
Downtown Prairieville
Member since Mar 2008
73681 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 1:40 pm to
Well, in my previous post I said

quote:

The cost paid out is probably marginally different between leasing out to other jurisdictions vs having the NOPD (if they had the numbers)

In a fricked up way of doing the accounting one could say replacing NOPD with contractors would be cheaper when looking at just parade control.

You would be taking into account paying the benefits and wages of the additional 124 officers all year long just to have them work OT during Mardi Gras. NOPD needs the extra officers every day, so it is more than simply looking at Mardi Gras accounting.
Posted by LNCHBOX
Member since Jun 2009
84081 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 1:42 pm to
quote:

The cost paid out is probably marginally different between leasing out to other jurisdictions vs having the NOPD (if they had the numbers)

Source, trust me bro.
quote:

In a fricked up way of doing the accounting one could say replacing NOPD with contractors would be cheaper when looking at just parade control.

Why must you try to spin this in any kind of way? Having those cops on NOPD's staff means they are here year round, hopefully putting a dent in the out of control crime.

But hey, maybe you just prefer the city this way.
Posted by fightin tigers
Downtown Prairieville
Member since Mar 2008
73681 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:01 pm to
quote:

Source, trust me bro.

I posted the source. Literally off the NOPD website.

Here it is again

quote:

Having those cops on NOPD's staff means they are here year round, hopefully putting a dent in the out of control crime.

Yes. That is what I said in the 3rd paragraph of the post you responded to. Looking at why is cheaper just for Mardi Gras is myopic.
Posted by LNCHBOX
Member since Jun 2009
84081 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:09 pm to
quote:

I posted the source. Literally off the NOPD website.

Here it is again

You are using the rate they charge externally for details as a source for what it would cost the city to use them. How many businesses do you know that pay their employees their billable rate?

Just going off your source, the city is paying an almost 20% premium for a standard officer working a parade.
This post was edited on 1/13/23 at 2:15 pm
Posted by fightin tigers
Downtown Prairieville
Member since Mar 2008
73681 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:18 pm to
First, virtually no NOPD working the route is making their billable rate. They are all on OT

quote:

How many businesses do you know that pay their employees their billable rate?

NOPD is not a business. NOPD is paying for the additional cops as well out of their already established budget for parade security.
Posted by LNCHBOX
Member since Jun 2009
84081 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:23 pm to
quote:

First, virtually no NOPD working the route is making their billable rate. They are all on OT

So the rates you posted are irrelevant then?

quote:

NOPD is not a business.

You really want me to believe NOPD pays officers 100% of their detail rates

quote:

NOPD is paying for the additional cops as well out of their already established budget for parade security.

An established budget that according to your source is going to take a roughly 20% hit because this city is run by morons. What exactly are you trying to defend here?
Posted by brass2mouth
NOLA
Member since Jul 2007
19688 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:27 pm to
quote:

Excluding Jefferson and Orleans, how many police officers are in the surrounding jurisdictions?

St Charles and St John Parishes have been in the city previously on parade routes. LSP has even worked parades on MG day but their rate is higher than 50/hr. Usually krewes pay them $75/hr to work their ball and extravaganza.

A lot has changed with the new DA being anti police though.
Posted by fightin tigers
Downtown Prairieville
Member since Mar 2008
73681 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:37 pm to
They are extremely relevant to show the prices paid aren't out of line with NOPD compensation.

quote:

You really want me to believe NOPD pays officers 100% of their detail rates

If you actually clicked the link and read you would know this information. It is clearly spelled out.

quote:

An established budget that according to your source is going to take a roughly 20% hit because this city is run by morons.

The hope is that the tax revenue raised will offset any additional costs. Not sure exactly how they justify it, but OP residents have paid their taxes and NOPD is trying to facilitate a way to make whole on that agreement.

Many things to bitch about in this city, but the city and NOPD are doing what everyone wanted them to do last year when they announced the routes had to be cut. Wish they would have given more heads up, no doubt.
Posted by LNCHBOX
Member since Jun 2009
84081 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:45 pm to
quote:

They are extremely relevant to show the prices paid aren't out of line with NOPD compensation.
I really don't know why I even bother sometimes. Thanks for the reminder of how this city keeps electing idiots.
quote:

Many things to bitch about in this city, but the city and NOPD are doing what everyone wanted them to do last year when they announced the routes had to be cut. Wish they would have given more heads up, no doubt.

People can bitch that we are in this position at all. I'm amazed I have to even type that out. Maybe we're supposed to give her an attaboy for offering an expensive solution to a problem she created. Let me be the first to say way to go Teedy. You do it
Posted by fightin tigers
Downtown Prairieville
Member since Mar 2008
73681 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:47 pm to
Yes, bitch we are in the position. No one is stopping you.

Just don't see some huge waste of money like you declared on the first page.
Posted by WWII Collector
Member since Oct 2018
6992 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:58 pm to
quote:

For some reason, police from other jurisdictions don’t want to come here. It’s a great question, and I don’t know the answer,” Hardy said

Hummm let's speculate.
Posted by LSUFanHouston
NOLA
Member since Jul 2009
37084 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 2:58 pm to
quote:

Excluding Jefferson and Orleans, how many police officers are in the surrounding jurisdictions? Just thinking about St. Tammany, but are there even 124 police offices between St. Tammany Sheriff, Mandeville, Covington, and Slidell police?

St. Bernard alone has close to 300 deputies.
Posted by LSUFanHouston
NOLA
Member since Jul 2009
37084 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 3:02 pm to
quote:

Teedy straight lighting NOLA taxpayers' money on fire. Wonder who is getting kickbacks on this sham.

In St. Bernard the detail rate is 40/hr, so 50/hr in the city for a parade seems reasonable.

Also, I would guess that the city was going to make the krewes pay for it, but I'm guessing the city will actually pay it? I guess maybe since NOPD is so understaffed, there is a lot of unused money in the police salary budget?
Posted by LSUFanHouston
NOLA
Member since Jul 2009
37084 posts
Posted on 1/13/23 at 3:04 pm to
quote:

What it really boils down to is that there just isn’t enough money in the f*cking world to have to deal with all those f*cking animals who vote for Latoya. They f*cking KNOW that nothing will ever happen to them as long as Destroya is the mayor and Williams is the DA and cops have a much higher likelihood of.being prosecuted having to deal with Latoya's animals.

The irony is the cut blocks in question are some of the safest in the city.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram