Posted on 7/12/14 at 3:39 pm to
Posted by Ace Midnight
Between sanity and madness
Member since Dec 2006
89780 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 3:39 pm to
quote:

Why don't you think it equals acting?

Because he's not acting - he's doing motion capture and voiceover.

I'm not even going to say that voiceover folks can't be geniuses - Mel Blanc first and foremost.

Likewise, puppetry/muppetry, which is what motion capture is a very sophisticated variant, can also be genius and key to suspending disbelief.

Now, how close is what he does, versus Dustin Hoffman in makeup/drag in Tootsie or, say, Brad Pitt those "young/old" scenes in Benjamin Button? I'm not sure, but I can't call it acting yet - I can't equate it to a performance like George C. Scott in Patton, Deniro in Taxi Driver, etc.

There are too many enhancements/technological additions for that. It blurs the line between animation and acting - and I admit it may just be my old-fashioned nature.
Posted by Tiger Ryno
#WoF
Member since Feb 2007
103299 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 3:47 pm to
Can't wait to see what he does in the new star wars.
Posted by Brosef Stalin
Member since Dec 2011
39372 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 3:55 pm to
Golden Globe, my bad
Posted by OMLandshark
Member since Apr 2009
109969 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 3:56 pm to
quote:

Robin Williams was nominated for Aladdin but he was already established as a "real" actor.

I just checked on that and I don't think he was.
Posted by OMLandshark
Member since Apr 2009
109969 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 4:00 pm to
quote:

Golden Globe, my bad

Well, he got a special category award, not best supporting actor nom. I do think it is inevitable that Serkis will be awarded by the Academy, but don't expect it for another decade or two for a Lifetime Achievement Award, since everyone who knows anything about motion capture knows he's getting the shaft.
Posted by OMLandshark
Member since Apr 2009
109969 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 4:03 pm to
quote:

Because he's not acting - he's doing motion capture and voiceover.

So anyone who voices a character isn't acting? You do know they're called voice actors, right?
Posted by abellsujr
New England
Member since Apr 2014
35633 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 4:07 pm to
He's not just doing voice over. He is acting with the other actors. The CGI is done later.
Posted by Brosef Stalin
Member since Dec 2011
39372 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 4:19 pm to
I think the special category was because they really liked his performance but didn't know where to fit him in. That's why its time for a new award honoring voice acting and motion capture. Not sure what you'd call it but let Serkis compete with voice actors. I think he has a different skill set than regular actors anyway.
Posted by Ace Midnight
Between sanity and madness
Member since Dec 2006
89780 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 4:22 pm to
quote:

You do know they're called voice actors, right?

Yes - I'm aware of that.

quote:

So anyone who voices a character isn't acting?

No - lots of times actors have to go back in and dub the lines in. But, they acted live in the scene - we get to see - at least a final cut - of their entire performance.

The CGI people cover up Serkis performance - he just gives them an ultra-realistic template over which to animate.

I don't know what y'all want from me - we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Posted by abellsujr
New England
Member since Apr 2014
35633 posts
Posted on 7/12/14 at 4:23 pm to
quote:

The CGI people cover up Serkis performance
I think they capture it more than cover it up.

ETA: You have a right to your opinion, but we have the right to disagree, majorly.
This post was edited on 7/12/14 at 4:26 pm
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 3Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram