Started By
re: .

Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:22 pm to
Posted by ThePTExperience1969
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Apr 2016
13360 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:22 pm to
And they played a tougher SOS than 2016, top offensive ranking, top 2 defensive ranking, higher MOV AND lost only one game in the 2017 playoffs
Posted by Insert clever name
Member since Jun 2017
104 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:24 pm to
That doesn't work because you are looking at their result before the season finished
You are discounting their Rose Bowl loss and trying to compare them to teams who played an entire season

I could do the same with any team throughout college football history even taking off 3, 5 or maybe 10 games and saying this team in September was the greatest team of all time. They may have finished 5th at the end but at this time in history they were great. Doesn't work out because once you open that door we can pretty much claim any team
as the best runner up

I do not understand why LSU wants their supposed best team ever to not have won a championship
You can ask any OU, UT, ND, Bama, Ohio State or USC fan what was their best team ever and they will always say one of their national champions not some runner up. Difference I see in the blue bloods and everyone else. I have argued with Trojan fans on here and outside of here that their 2005 team was better than 04 and 03 teams and they will deny it every time
This post was edited on 6/21/17 at 6:27 pm
Posted by jangalang
Member since Dec 2014
36579 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:29 pm to
quote:

And they played a tougher SOS than 2016, top offensive ranking, top 2 defensive ranking, higher MOV AND lost only one game in the 2017 playoffs

Yep. All are great points.
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
203145 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:31 pm to
quote:

That doesn't work because you are looking at their result before the season finished You are discounting their Rose Bowl loss and trying to compare them to teams who played an entire season

They did play an entire season... They finished 11-1... They were undefeated before the rose Bowl... The thread is about some of the best teams to NOT win A championship... I just threw the 1971 Michigan team out there... They have plenty of examples....

EVERYONE who is in their 30's or younger ALL say the 2007 PATS... Here is my problem... There are so many young people that think STATS are ALL that matter in ANY sport...

SORRY that's just not the case... There are plenty of factors that effect EVERY TEAM at any time... And YES sometimes the elements and such make A team have A bad day... shite happens.. its sports....
Posted by VADawg
Wherever
Member since Nov 2011
44949 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:32 pm to
quote:

2007 patriots
2011 LSU
73 win Warriors

One of these things is not like the other.
Member since Jun 2017
104 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:37 pm to
I actually think the 2011 Green Bay Packers was a better team
I am over 30 slightly at 34 but that team was coming off a Super Bowl championship and started 13-0 or something maybe 14-0
Posted by StrongBackWeakMind
Member since May 2014
22650 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:37 pm to
The 2007 Pats get mentioned so much because of the difficulty of what they did. You don't need to resort to stats to show how good they were.

Only two NFL teams have gone undefeated in the regular season since the 1930s. CFB teams go undefeated in the regular season all the time.
This post was edited on 6/21/17 at 6:38 pm
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
203145 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:43 pm to
quote:

The 2007 Pats get mentioned so much because of the difficulty of what they did. You don't need to resort to stats to show how good they were

OK.. The 1972 Dolphins won it All and went 17-0... The 1973 Dolphins were A better team and still won it all even with two losses...

AGAIN The Pats lost on the biggest stage to A team they scored 38 points on just 4 weeks before...

Going 17-0 is A huge accomplishment... They were A great team... I have zero problem putting them at the top... Like I said.. There are other examples...

I guess you are just too stupid to understand this.........
Posted by StrongBackWeakMind
Member since May 2014
22650 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:49 pm to
quote:

AGAIN The Pats lost on the biggest stage to A team they scored 38 points on just 4 weeks before...
So you're telling me they choked? No shite. That's what we're discussing in this thread. The best teams that didn't win the championship. Maybe you didn't catch that.
quote:

I guess you are just too stupid to understand this.........
Sure thing, old man.

ETA: I have to commend you. At least you're not threatening people anymore.
This post was edited on 6/21/17 at 7:01 pm
Posted by jangalang
Member since Dec 2014
36579 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:52 pm to
The '72 Dolphins is still the GOAT NFL team

FWIW, IMHO, NRN
Posted by mizzoubuckeyeiowa
Member since Nov 2015
35566 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 7:02 pm to
You've been blabbing on...are you trying to defend the inclusion of 2011 LSU in the OP?

Sometimes a team gets exposed. I always defended that team in that it was b.s. that they had to beat Bama twice...but they won 1, on some missed FGs and turnovers and then got beat down in the rematch.

I believe (as I said earlier) you can still be GOAT and lose...you can lose last second - bad turnover, lose by an inch on 4th down...getting beat on a lucky basketball shot - have better stats than your opponent and still lose...because you fumbled or ruined chances with penalties.

But you can't look completely inept in your final game and ever be considered a great team.

ETA: But I do agree with you about the Dolphins.
This post was edited on 6/21/17 at 7:03 pm
Posted by dukke v
PLUTO
Member since Jul 2006
203145 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 7:33 pm to
quote:

But you can't look completely inept in your final game and ever be considered a great team

I agree with this.... 2011 LSU was A great team that had ONE special player that somehow jumpstarted the team in more than one game..... The defense was awesome... But the offense AFTER JJ was inserted as the starting QB it was not that great... That team relied on the defense more than any college team I have ever seen with Jefferson as QB during that year..............
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Apr 2016
13360 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 10:10 pm to
You know why the 73 Dolphins team was considered better than 72?
Posted by mizzoubuckeyeiowa
Member since Nov 2015
35566 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 10:27 pm to
quote:

And they played a tougher SOS

With regard to all supposed champions.

Nobody gives a crap about that...because it's all make-believe, folderol and poppy-cock.

You can make a strength of schedule like Gary Danielson by just assuming somebody is better.

Nobody gives a crap about this shite. Nobody.

People know what they saw...and if what they saw was amazing they will remember it forever.

And if they saw some team laying a turd in their last game they will remember it forever.

Posted by AUFANATL
Member since Dec 2007
3907 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 11:32 pm to

1991 UNLV Runnin' Rebels. Absolutely loaded team that just crushed everybody. Lost - many claim took a dive - to Duke (whom they beat by 30 previous year) in Final Four.

Still rank this as best college bball team I have ever seen, though the game has changed quite a bit and I watch less.
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Apr 2016
13360 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 11:46 pm to
1998-99 Duke Blue Devils: 37-1 before the title game, 24 pt MOV against the 11th toughest SOS, best offensive rating in America, top ten defensive rating, Coach K, Shane Battier, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette that team was DOMINANT
Member since Jun 2017
104 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 11:48 pm to
Possibly one the best I have seen in college athletics so far.

You could include 1998 Duke as well
I do not think anyone thought UCONN was going to beat them. Pretty much the total opposite of what happen with Duke UNLV. I would give Duke UNLV the edge cause of the previous year. I have a feeling UNLV would win 9 out of the 10 played. I haven't heard if Coach K motivated that team throughout the season with that game if he did it sounds kinda Bo/Woodish.
This post was edited on 6/21/17 at 11:52 pm
Member since Jun 2017
104 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 11:50 pm to
You made that post before mine

I am surprised I haven't seen the UK fans mentioned their 2015 team
Maybe they do not visit the more sports board.

Posted by Arkansasrazorback
Member since May 2010
9288 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 11:56 pm to
quote:

If that BCSCG goes the other way and LSU beats Alabama again, that's an easy top 5 all-time team.

Or if Oklahoma State could take care of fricking ISU. That LSU team would have crushed them too and added to their already all time great résumé. It's a shame the title game destruction is all any one remembers about that great team and season.
Posted by Arkansasrazorback
Member since May 2010
9288 posts
Posted on 6/22/17 at 12:01 am to
quote:

The factor that obfuscates the discussion is how much of an imbecile Miles was in playing Jefferson over Lee.

LSU probably doesn't win the first Alabama game if Lee isn't replaced by Jefferson, and he sure as hell wouldn't have made a difference the second time.
first pageprev pagePage 6 of 7Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram