re: .

Posted on 1/12/15 at 3:20 pm to
Posted by BayouBengals03
lsu14always
Member since Nov 2007
99999 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 3:20 pm to

I'm not gonna argue this anymore.

I'm not saying I'm definitely right. I'm not saying you are either.

I'm saying it's really close. If they ruled it incomplete on the field, I would be fine with that call being upheld.

The NFL is so hell bent on keeping the call on the field (Jimmy Graham TD that wasn't), until they aren't.

It's inconsistency, at the least. The review procedures need to be looked at very closely.
Posted by slackster
Houston
Member since Mar 2009
85099 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 3:23 pm to
quote:

If he pitches it and someone catches it before it touches the ground, then it isn't an incomplete pass. This is assuming it was pitched forward.

And if it was pitched backwards and fell to the ground, what would happen?

I say catch and fumble.
Posted by iwasthere
New Orleans
Member since Jul 2010
1880 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 3:31 pm to
quote:

And if it was pitched backwards and fell to the ground, what would happen?

I say catch and fumble.

It would be an incomplete pass. Once he is going to the ground before he completes the catch, control of the ball must be maintained through out. If he pitches it or loses control of it, it is a live ball until it either touches the ground or is caught by another player. The results would either be incomplete pass, complete pass, or interception.
Posted by TheFranchise
The Stick
Member since Feb 2005
6206 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 5:08 pm to
he pretty clearly caught it, controlled it, took two steps and then made a "football move" in diving for the goal line.

my vote is CATCH
Posted by dallastigers
Member since Dec 2003
5730 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 5:38 pm to
quote:

He might have landed on his feet, but he didn't have control of the ball. He had control once he was going down.

Bull. When his right foot (2nd foot) planted with ball controlled he stopped his momentum moving inside and completely turned his body and gets headed to that corner of the endzone and across defender to get outside of him with ball away from defender. The defender was falling down in front of him and defender even tried to face outside with Dez going there. Part of this fall and turn by defender (after catch secured 2 feet down and move around defender) is what brought shields leg up and whipped Dez's knee and weaken push and tangled up Dez's leg and started fall. But a,b, and c of rule were met.

Look at Dez's stop and turn in slow motion and see his body stop, turn, and head point to corner of endzone. He is in control looking for endzone while Shields cannot make same kind of stop without falling. It was amazing to watch frame by frame and see his change of directions from jumping inside of Shields to make catch up high to coming down and then planting right foot and turning 110 degrees while Shields has lost control. Then the trip happens.

But even after trip he still gets a push with left foot and tries to pivot on right arm and get left arm close to goal before right forearm and then left leg go down. He is strong as heck and constantly fights for extra yard even when it's not smart and it's not going to move the chain. It actually sometimes causes him to be more prone to injury and getting ball stripped by another defender showing up as he is fighting for yards. Something is not right with him in the head, but fighting for yards and showing strength and agility is what he does along with a few things probably left unsaid.
Posted by iwasthere
New Orleans
Member since Jul 2010
1880 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 6:26 pm to
quote:

It was amazing to watch frame by frame and see his change of directions from jumping inside of Shields to make catch up high to coming down and then planting right foot and turning 110 degrees while Shields has lost control. Then the trip happens.

He didn't make the catch up high. The defender knocks the ball loose while he is up high. When Dez's left foot lands(this is his first foot that touches) he doesn't have control of the ball. He gets control as his right foot touches(his left is off the ground at this point, so this is his first foot down). Before his second foot(his left that he attempts to lunge from) touches, his body is in a horizontal position. This indicates he is going to the ground, and since he hasn't gotten 2 feet down yet, the rule of going to the ground kicks in. With this rule, he must maintain control through the process of contacting the ground. Also with this rule, it doesn't matter if he was hit, tripped, pushed, pulled, or whatever. Please link a still pic showing his body position right before his left touches for his lunge. If you watched frame by frame, you would see the defender knocked the ball loose from him before any of his feet touched down. He didn't have control until his right foot landed.
Posted by dallastigers
Member since Dec 2003
5730 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 6:47 pm to

When left food lands and pushes of he has regained control if he ever lost it.

I just rewatched it again even if you think it was loose its controlled before left foot leaves ground.

You can also see moves which obviously supercedes to the ground or officials would not be saying it was not noticeable enough or one that was common act to the game.

If going to ground is end all be all there would be no need to mention making a common act move.
This post was edited on 1/12/15 at 6:52 pm
Posted by iwasthere
New Orleans
Member since Jul 2010
1880 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 6:57 pm to
You can't even admit that the defender knocks it loose, so I wouldn't expect you to change your mind no matter what. Pretty much everyone else on here acknowledges it was knocked loose by the defender briefly. He didn't have control of the ball until after the left foot is back off the ground. He did get his right foot down with control, but this is when he started going down and just before his left(2nd) foot is down. By rule, he must maintain control through out, but he didn't. I wish it would have been a catch or even ruled a catch when it wasn't. Even if ruled a catch, Dallas still had to score a TD and stop GB from getting a field goal.

quote:

You can also see moves which obviously supercedes to the ground or officials would not be saying it was not noticeable enough or one that was common act to the game.

So refs have never explained things wrong? The rule is very clear. If during the act of catching(which means anytime during a, b, and c) the player is going to the ground, he must maintain possession. Before his "football move(this is the lunge and requirement c of the act of catching the ball), he was clearly going down. That is why this isn't a completion.
This post was edited on 1/12/15 at 7:01 pm
Posted by dallastigers
Member since Dec 2003
5730 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 7:32 pm to

Then why are officials even pointing out they did not see a common act to the game if seeing one would not change anything?

Posted by dallastigers
Member since Dec 2003
5730 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 7:41 pm to

Also I see him put both hands on ball with left forefoot still on ground before planting right foot
Posted by Colonel Flagg
Baton Rouge
Member since Apr 2010
22812 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 7:45 pm to
He is in the act of falling to the ground after jumping in the air. At no point did he show great control of his body so no real football move and an incompletion.

Sucks for dem boyz
Posted by TOKEN
Member since Feb 2014
11990 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 7:52 pm to
Let's go for 100 pages!!!

It was a catch
Posted by whodatfan
Member since Mar 2008
21333 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 8:08 pm to
Requested anchor.
Posted by Roger Klarvin
DFW
Member since Nov 2012
46513 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 9:16 pm to
Dean Blandino caught in a lie:

LINK

quote:

f you were scratching your head or shouting a few choice words at the TV Sunday as NFL officiating chief Dean Blandino explained why Dez Bryant's catch wasn't a catch, then you'll be even more mystified about Blandino's support for another controversial catch..

quote:

A year earlier, during the Cincinnati Bengals' wild-card loss to the San Diego Chargers, tight end Jermaine Gresham hauled in a 13-yard reception (putting the Bengals in field-goal range) that he also dropped, but was ruled a catch after review. Video on NFL.com shows Gresham high-pointing the ball like Bryant -- also a two-handed grab -- taking two steps in the field of play before getting knocked out of bounds by a Chargers defender. As he stumbles to the ground, Gresham braces his fall with his left hand and the football in his right hand, and then the ball squirts out of his hand when it contacts the ground.

"Is it a catch?" Blandino asked during his weekly segment on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access." "The referee will have to make the determination, did the receiver have both feet down prior to him getting contacted, which sent him to the ground. If that's the case, then he doesn't have to hold onto it when he hits the ground.

"So you're going to see control. Just as the second foot comes down, there's going to be contact, now he goes to the ground. The referee determined that this was not part of the process. He'd completed the catch process, and therefore did not have to hold onto the football."

quote:

So, taking two steps and losing the ball out of bounds is a catch, but taking three steps and losing the ball in the field of play isn't? Why did referees rule that Gresham's stumble-and-fumble wasn't part of the "catch process" but Bryant's lunge-and-expunge was?

Posted by fleaux
section 0
Member since Aug 2012
8741 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 9:18 pm to
He didn't lie, he evolved. Get over it
Posted by Roger Klarvin
DFW
Member since Nov 2012
46513 posts
Posted on 1/12/15 at 9:21 pm to
Pretty quick evolution there
Jump to page
Page First 45 46 47
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 47 of 47Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram