re: .

Posted on 4/20/13 at 2:18 pm to
Posted by jimithing11
Dillon, Texas
Member since Mar 2011
22471 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 2:18 pm to
quote:

Probably not a liberal gay, more like a reporter who wants to get enough "big" stories enough to move up in their journalism career. We see it every day.

meh. It's not like there is a section on your resume that says "stories I've broke"

I doubt the kid will be using this as a clip with all the backlash he's getting. Unless he's applying for Deadspin or Bleacher Report, trolling won't get you a job anywhere
Posted by quail man
New York, NY
Member since May 2010
40925 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 2:24 pm to
what the hell happened in here?
Posted by jimithing11
Dillon, Texas
Member since Mar 2011
22471 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 2:39 pm to
quote:

what the hell happened in here?

no clue. I tried to drop knowledge but my stance has since changed after I listened to the audio of the interview.
Posted by quail man
New York, NY
Member since May 2010
40925 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 2:40 pm to
mike misquoted blue?

now i look like an a-hole for standing up for them earlier
Posted by jimithing11
Dillon, Texas
Member since Mar 2011
22471 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 2:48 pm to
quote:

mike misquoted blue?

I don't know if he misquoted him but Blue said one silly thing about gay players during a 4 minute interview, and the reporter used that single quote.

Blue later went on to say he wouldn't really have a problem with it and the team would adjust. Basically said it wouldn't be a big deal if he played his game just like everyone else.

Reporter should have included one of the other quotes to put his thoughts into context.
Posted by Cap Crunch
Fire Alleva
Member since Dec 2010
54189 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 2:54 pm to
I know two of the sportswriters for The Reveille, one of whom wrote the article. They're both douches
Posted by noonan
Nassau Bay, TX
Member since Aug 2005
36900 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 2:54 pm to
quote:

don't know if he misquoted him but Blue said one silly thing about gay players during a 4 minute interview,

That's not even what happened. Blue said that there might be people who would say (insert sissy quote), but that's not how he feels.

Then the reporter goes on to write and article saying that Blue thinks gays are sissies and football was a man's sport.

The reporter grossly misrepresented Blue and flat out lied.

Posted by TheDrunkenTigah
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2011
17314 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 3:01 pm to
quote:

I don't know if he misquoted him but Blue said one silly thing about gay players during a 4 minute interview, and the reporter used that single quote.

That, and the reporter repeated led Blue to the quote that he got.
The audio reveals the following:

Blue says that no one on the team is gay.

Blue says he doesn't know how the team would hypothetically react to a player coming out.

Reporter asks if Blue thinks the nature of football makes it tougher for someone to come out, Blue hesitates.

Reporter asks again, given the nature of football, what the general attitude of football players would be. Blue responds with the quote that was run.

Reporter asks how the LSU locker room would respond, and Blue says that any harassment would be settled quickly with a team meeting.

Reporter asks Blue's personal opinion, and Blue responds by saying if someone can help win a NC, he couldn't care less.

Posted by GABlueDog
Marietta, GA
Member since Dec 2008
8045 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 3:36 pm to
quote:

predatory journalism

That's exactly what Revile engaged in to further their own preconceived agenda.

frick them.
Posted by LSU92
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2008
2435 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 3:42 pm to
Some posters in this thread appear to look foolish now. Mr. Haydel was not one of them.
Posted by BACONisMEATcandy
Member since Dec 2007
46643 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 3:44 pm to
You've obviously never read mother jones
Posted by Tigerfan7218
Baton Rouge
Member since Nov 2010
14251 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 4:11 pm to
Yea after actually listening to the audio this morning I've changed my view. I was out last night and on my phone so couldn't listen. I mean I generally think the Reveille is trash, but was willing to defend them b/c he did actually say what was run, but they took it way out of context.
Posted by chauncey1
Member since May 2010
291 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 5:13 pm to
The "journalists" were intentionally trying to sensationalize a topic and exploit a student athlete for their benefit. If the Reveille wants to participate in predatory journalism, that's there prerogative. That being said, there should be consequences.

If I was in a position of authority within the athletic department, I would instruct all student athletes to refuse all interviews with all Reveille reporters. I would also remove all media privileges to the Reveille staff.

A good rule to live by, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Posted by Drew Orleans
Member since Mar 2010
21577 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 5:27 pm to
And you tried to be a dick about me not making it as a writer with no fricking info about me or my past.

Do you frequently talk out of your arse or just on here?
Posted by Tigerfan7218
Baton Rouge
Member since Nov 2010
14251 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 5:31 pm to
I will say this...
quote:

I would also remove all media privileges to the Reveille staff.

Would get your arse sued (see GG, he's a dick but still gets in).

quote:

I would instruct all student athletes to refuse all interviews with all Reveille reporters.

This is more doable, but still not likely. Also, why punish the entire staff for the actions of maybe 3 people?

quote:

A good rule to live by, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I still don't agree with this being the case... So you're telling me the media at large should be afraid of LSU athletics if they report on controversial or negative topics? (*cough* Tyrann Mathieu *cough*).
Posted by oauron
Birmingham, AL
Member since Sep 2011
14511 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 5:42 pm to
quote:

This is more doable, but still not likely. Also, why punish the entire staff for the actions of maybe 3 people?

You wouldn't though. They just wouldn't have any quotes from the football team, but then they go out on tirades about how they're being mistreated. It all works out.
Posted by noonan
Nassau Bay, TX
Member since Aug 2005
36900 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 5:44 pm to
quote:

So you're telling me the media at large should be afraid of LSU athletics if they report on controversial or negative topics?

What does that have you do with this?

The reporter straight up lied, and then they printed his story. The only controversy is their lies. And they shoukd absolutely be afraid of printing slander, and that's what this is. They need to come out on their front page for a week explaining their bullshite agenda. Otherwise the only losers here is Blue, who did nothing wrong.

People need to be fired over this. It's disgusting.
Posted by quail man
New York, NY
Member since May 2010
40925 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 5:49 pm to
quote:

So you're telling me the media at large should be afraid of LSU athletics if they report on controversial or negative topics?

FWIW, baton rouge and new orleans media outlets typically don't even attempt stories such as this one for fear of the negative backlash (i.e., decreased viewers or readers).

say Blue's comments weren't taken out of context...look at the hatred this story is getting. imagine if this ran in the advocate. they report the stories that have to be reported, and they don't go much above and beyond when it comes to LSU sports.
Posted by Datbayoubengal
Port City
Member since Sep 2009
26627 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 5:55 pm to
quote:

but was willing to defend them b/c he did actually say what was run, but they took it way out of context.

It wasn't just that they took it out of context, the headline starts off as a big arse lie and then they blast the guy before getting to the quote that they hand picked as if he really said it like that.

Why would you even make a story up like that? I thought journalists only liked the straight facts. The times have gotten so bad that it went national before kids got out of school., yes I mean NATIONAL.
Posted by jimithing11
Dillon, Texas
Member since Mar 2011
22471 posts
Posted on 4/20/13 at 5:57 pm to
quote:

And you tried to be a dick about me not making it as a writer with no fricking info about me or my past.

not my fault you pussied out. That's your own agenda.
Jump to page
Page First 13 14 15 16 17
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 15 of 17Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram