Earlier this week, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk issued a report suggesting the Miami Dolphins wanted to land both Sean Payton and Tom Brady this offseason. However, that plan was scrapped following the class-action lawsuit from former head coach Brian Flores...
“Per multiple sources, and as first revealed on Monday’s PFT Live, the Dolphins planned to pursue Sean Payton to be the coach and Tom Brady to be the starting quarterback,” the report stated. “The plan was scrapped after Brian Flores filed his lawsuit against the NFL generally and the Dolphins, Giants, and Broncos specifically.”
And when the Dolphins called Saints assistant general manager Jeff Ireland, he gave them a two-word response...
Per multiple league sources, the call wasn’t made to Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis or to team owner Gayle Benson. The Dolphins called Saints assistant G.M. Jeff Ireland, who previously served as the Miami General Manager. According to a Dolphins source, Ireland said he spoke to Loomis, and Ireland told the Dolphins, “Don’t bother.”