20-year-old Tufts University lacrosse player, Madelyn "Madie" Nicpon, died after she tragically choked during a hot dog eating contest over the weekend. According to The Journal News, authorities said Nicpon fell unconscious after choking, and was rushed to the hospital after first responders got to the scene.
quote:

We are beyond heartbroken to share the news of the passing of junior Madie Nicpon — “Scooter”.

Scooter was a true friend and teammate. She truly valued her relationships with her teammates and coaches. Her reach was far beyond our team — she was a true connector on campus and touched every single person she met.

She has and will continue to inspire us every day. We should all strive to live life a little bit more like Scooter did — a person that valued love, loyalty, compassion and friendship.

Please keep the Nicpon family in your thoughts and consider donating to the GoFundMe in our bio.

“True friends are never apart, maybe in distance but never at heart.”

We love you, Scooter. Keep dancing from above
Filed Under: General Sports

Comments

16 Comments
It basically became a meat plug. Can’t dislodge that with the Heimlich
Reply1 month
I mean she was a female Lacrosse player, she wasn’t accustomed to swallowing meat
Reply1 month
As a kid i got one of those large Sweet tarts stuck in my throat. It was stuck there for literally 20 mins. i was gasping for air. My mom tried everything. Rushed me to the dr. office . they did Heimlich , hitting me on the back eventually it dislodged after a quick drink of water but was on the verge of blacking out. One of the worst ways to go. Rip to that young lady.
Reply1 month
The Heimlich is for 1 piece of food lodged in the throat, not a 12” long column of food forced down the throat. Honestly, food contests aren’t the brightest of ideas.
Reply1 month
Play silly games, win silly prizes. Very sad for her family.
Reply1 month
Not a great way to be remembered
Reply1 month
Joey Chestnuts sends his regards.
Reply1 month
not sure if appropriate, but I WOOD have
Reply1 month
Sucks. A decent gag reflex might have saved her
Reply1 month
Horrible thing to happen. Prayers to the family.
Reply1 month
It's all fun and games until you realize no one knows how to heimlich.
Reply1 month
Damn none of the idiots there could perform a Heimlich?
Reply1 month
Its not fool proof. I am guessing they tried, and the EMTs tried after arriving onsite. Sometimes things get lodged to where the Heimlich doesn't work. Sad story.
1 month
True but then you start cpr
1 month
Cpr with out a way to get air to the lungs will fail every time.
1 month
Popular Stories
comments14

Five-Star LB Harold Perkins Reveals His Top 3 Schools

Perkins plays for Cy Park HS near Houston.
logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram