Started By
re: .

Posted on 4/9/13 at 5:15 pm to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 5:15 pm to
So you would root for LSU over your alma mater?
Posted by bayou2003
Mah-zur-ree (417)
Member since Oct 2003
17646 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 5:55 pm to
quote:

Finally, I think the reason why most people look down upon non alumni as fans is that they often associate them with the dregs of society that make Louisiana look bad while wearing an LSU hat from Walmart.

That's in every state.
Posted by tigerpimpbot
Chairman of the Pool Board
Member since Nov 2011
66897 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:46 pm to
quote:

Finally, I think the reason why most people look down upon non alumni as fans is that they often associate them with the dregs of society that make Louisiana look bad while wearing an LSU hat from Walmart.

That's everywhere, not a Louisiana phenomenon. Living in Florida, I can pick out the walmart gaytors from the alumni gaytors from a mile away.
Posted by Buckeye06
Member since Dec 2007
23114 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:54 pm to
You can't be a fan of any pro teams because you can't be an alumnus!!!!
Posted by dltigers3
Collierville, TN
Member since Jun 2010
2127 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:50 pm to
Yes, but i separate the education from the athletics
Posted by Tactical1
Denham Springs
Member since May 2010
27104 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:53 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 4/9/13 at 8:54 pm
Posted by DaGarun
Smashville
Member since Nov 2007
26184 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 9:05 pm to
I was accepted at LSU, but chose to go to a school that offered a better deal. The Demons don't really compete with LSU on any level, so I am fortunate enough to be able to pull for 2 teams! (one of them actually made the tourney this year, too!)

Territorial pissing contests are for losers anyway.
Posted by Bmath
LA
Member since Aug 2010
18664 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 10:38 pm to
quote:

That's in every state.

Obviously. I just felt to use that example as this board is largely LSU fans.
Posted by oak71
Mesa, AZ
Member since Jun 2008
2580 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 10:56 pm to
No. I went to LSU one semester. Graduated at SE La. Been an LSU football fan since I could walk. Live in Phoenix now, and a friend of mine who lives here from Oregon graduated from ASU and he is a die hard Ducks fan. So no it doesn't matter. I think it's more about where you are from.
Posted by purplepylon
NOLA & Laffy
Member since Nov 2005
7769 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 11:02 pm to
Absolutely not. You're a fan if you want to be a fan. I wish people would stop trying to define "fan" in any context. Same goes for defining what a sport is.
Posted by DrakeLSU
Kansas
Member since Dec 2012
1348 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 12:03 am to
quote:

So you would root for LSU over your alma mater?
Yes, and I have. I really don't have pride for my schools athletic program. It's just not there for me. I have tried to force it and as much as I wish it was there, it's just not. My pride and passion will always lie with LSU. As I mentioned earlier, no piece of paper is going to change that.
Posted by TulaneUVA
Member since Jun 2005
25884 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 12:19 am to
I support athletics as a means of support of the greater University as a whole. While it's only one facet of my support, it's probably the most emphasized due to its ability to unite former classmates and friends...and due to the media and national attention.

What really bothers me is when 'fans' donate to athletic foundations but don't give back to the University (donations, volunteering). I realize some may justify this by saying better athletics means more support for academics, but it all boils down to prioritization and what college athletics is all about. It's about the student athlete. Not athlete who also happens to be a student. It's the same reason why I am against 'professionalizing' college athletics. There's already an arena for that side of competition.

ETA: So to answer your question, no, you don't have to be an alumnus to be a legit fan. Some of the best collegiate athletic fans I know are not alumns. But there is nothing worse than a bandwagon, sidewalk fan.
This post was edited on 4/10/13 at 12:22 am
Posted by djrunner
Baton Rouge
Member since Jun 2010
5318 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 12:26 am to
No
Posted by motorbreath
New Orleans Saints fan
Member since Jun 2004
6381 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 6:49 am to
I didn't go to LSU, but I have been going to the football games since I could walk. And I was a huge fan before I was even thinking about college.
Posted by Fat Bastard
coach, investor, gambler
Member since Mar 2009
72545 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 7:24 am to
quote:

I'm inclined to say no. Sidewalk fans can contribute to the school just as much as an alum through ticket purchases, donations, etc. and having an academic degree doesn't make you a more "legit fan".

agreed. this is a stupid thread by OP.
Posted by RileyTime
Gulf Breeze, FL
Member since Oct 2008
6928 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 7:29 am to
quote:

Ok, let me propose this, can an individual be a fan of LSU football, ucla basketball and Yale hockey all without having gone to any of these school? See this makes more sense to me when the attachment is to one particular sport. I don't get why people support the SCHOOL they did not attend.

I grew up in St. Amant. Watched just about every LSU sport there was growing up. LSU was my dream school, where I've always wanted to go. When I graduated high school I joined the Air Force and I moved to Washington State. Now having grown up near LSU my whole life, it was all I knew. Now I see UW and Wazzu stuff everywhere. I see Seahawk garb everywhere. I didn't get the chance to go to LSU, or I chose a different route for myself, but my ties are there and basically where my heart lies. I technically never attended the school, but the school has always been a part of me. It became my link home, along with the Saints. It became my way of feeling home again when I watched them on TV. LSU became the single greatest bond or tie I had to Louisiana because it was a way to show everyone that that was where my roots are, where I'll always call home. It became more than a university to me. To people like you, LSU is a school and an institution. For people like me tho, it's way more than that.

It's hard to explain, but LSU is basically my identity outside of the state. In my eyes it represents everything all at one... Family, friends and my roots. But I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand that.
Posted by ZereauxSum
Lot 23E
Member since Nov 2008
10176 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 7:50 am to
quote:

You attend classes at a school and as a result of pride in said school you love all of their athletic teams.

Why is that? The classes have zero to do with the athletics program.

I think this is your problem. You're assuming that simply sitting in a lecture hall gives you some sort of association with the entire university. It doesn't.
Posted by HeadyBrosevelt
the Verde River
Member since Jan 2013
21590 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 8:20 am to
I grew up in Louisiana but my degree is from MIT. Does that mean I can't support LSU?
Posted by VABuckeye
Naples, FL
Member since Dec 2007
35493 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 8:30 am to
quote:

I grew up in Louisiana but my degree is from MIT. Does that mean I can't support LSU?

OF course not. I know plenty of Ohio State fans that never attended a class there. Nearly all of them have a degree from another university hanging on the wall.

The fans that tend to give a fan base a bad name are those that not only didn't attend the university but didn't attend any university at all (IMO). They show up on game day with no tickets and seem to be there for the express purpose of A) getting as drunk as humanly possible and B) harassing every fan of the opposing team that they see. I know this is a little OT but those are the fans I could do without. I have no problem with someone who is there to support and cheer for the team without feeling the need to humiliate opposing fans and act like an arse in general.
Posted by SpartyGator
Detroit Lions fan
Member since Oct 2011
75404 posts
Posted on 4/10/13 at 8:45 am to
Your last point is spot on....although, I admit I've run my mouth about FLA to some of my friends on MSU's campus .
first pageprev pagePage 7 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram