re: .

Posted on 4/9/13 at 9:27 am to
Posted by baytiger
Boston
Member since Dec 2007
46978 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 9:27 am to
quote:

My ND-supporting gf lived for ten years in South Bend, her mom and sister are alums, and she would have gone to ND if they offered the major she wanted to pursue. Does she count as a "legit" fan?

yeah. she's a lot like me towards LSU. Mom went to LSU, I lived in BR area for a long time.. would have considered going to LSU if they had a meteorology program.

Went to Valpo instead. I don't like to talk about their football "program."
Posted by bayou2003
Mah-zur-ree (417)
Member since Oct 2003
17646 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 9:50 am to
quote:

I don't understand the attachment a person has to a school they didnt attend. I do want to understand.

It's for city pride, state pride, etc. Just sports. I live in Webb City,MO(Joplin). My daughter goes to school here. We've won 11 state titles in 4a, 3 in a row counting this year. I didn't graduate from Webb City High but I'm a fan of the team. I support the school district, go to school functions, etc

No different for college, people cheer for their home state team or major team in their geographical area.
This post was edited on 4/9/13 at 10:02 am
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 9:52 am to
It's not. Happened at Octavia and foubtainbleau
Posted by DrakeLSU
Kansas
Member since Dec 2012
1348 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 10:14 am to
quote:

I don't understand the attachment a person has to a school they didnt attend. I do want to understand.

I have never understood why people buy into this theory so much.

I have grown up going to LSU games from Kansas since I was five years old. I usually make 2-3 a year including one away game. My dad was in the military and we lived all over the country. He just happened to get stationed here and I have lived here for 13 years. I go to KU and attempted to transfer to LSU last fall. I was accepted, but due to the school's budget cuts they were unable to fulfill my OOS scholarship. I was asked to pay out of state tuition for my last 2 years. Paying $20,000 a year for two years was something I wasn't willing to do just to say I was a graduate of LSU. I go to school for free now and will have a good degree. No matter what piece I paper is on mine or your wall, I guarantee that I live and breathe LSU just as much as the next guy. Unfortunately, money kept me from ever attending LSU, but I'm OK w that.
Posted by Bama Bird
Member since Dec 2011
Member since Mar 2013
19024 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 10:18 am to
No. But you do have to support the University's athletics as a whole and not just the football team
Posted by okietiger
Chelsea F.C. Fan
Member since Oct 2005
40967 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 10:23 am to
Why does this ridiculous topic come up so often?

Sports is a business at any level. Trust me, you want as many fans as possible for the good of the whole organization.

You think Michigan didn't like having kids in Texas wearing UM hats in the mid-90s? Or the Yankees being followed by people in every state?

I'd say you should hope that whatever team or organization you pull for becomes elite enough to where they have a fanbase nationally (if not globally).

Only problem I ever have is when people switch allegiances from winner to winner.

Minus that, support whoever the frick you want.

This shite is annoying.

/thread
Posted by HeadyBrosevelt
the Verde River
Member since Jan 2013
21590 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 10:30 am to
quote:

It's not. Happened at Octavia and foubtainbleau

When? My best friend literally lives on that intersection since last fall
Posted by CP3LSU25
Louisiana
Member since Feb 2009
51150 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 11:16 am to
I've been a fan 10x longer than any of you hands spent time in college over there. Yes I graduated college.
Posted by GeauxTigerTM
Member since Sep 2006
30596 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 11:30 am to
quote:

Have you ever seen children at college sporting events? That's how.

I was brought to LSU sporting events long before I understood there was a school attached to what I was doing. As it turns out, my Dad was an LSU alumnus but he was a "fan" I'm quite sure before he stepped foot on campus. In my case, even though I was raised in purple and gold I decided to attend college elsewhere.

I am now a football season ticket holder for 12 years at LSU and a TAF donor.

That being said, I do think alumni should have rights before I do. I would have no problem with alumni getting 1 1/2 points to my 1 for every dollar donated or something to that effect. But in terms of "fandom," no...it makes no difference.
Posted by hiltacular
NYC
Member since Jan 2011
19667 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 11:50 am to
If we could just acknowledge that these football teams are basically minor league football programs that have no attachment to the actual school then this entire debate could be over.

Posted by Cajun Invasion
Abbeville, Louisianna
Member since Jan 2012
1799 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 12:18 pm to
If yes is your answer then the stadium should only be 30,000 istead of 90,000.
Posted by 504Voodoo
New Orleans
Member since Aug 2012
13530 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 1:28 pm to
quote:

Connections through means other than attending/graduating.. father went there, mother went there, grew up going to games, watched them and admired a coach of theirs, son/daughter went there, family lives/works there, etc.

The list goes on and on and people have varying reasons. I don't believe there's a set list identifying "You can only be a true fan if you blah blah blah".

ETA: I'd say true fan hood is defined by how closely you keep up with your team, or university, participate in going to games/donating, and sticking with them through good seasons and bad.

Well boys & girls... Time to close up shop. There's your answer.
Posted by LSUROCKS52
Rest in Peace
Member since Oct 2003
56 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 1:54 pm to
I don't know if this has been asked or not, but how is this really any different than liking a pro team? If a person from say, new orleans, is a saints fan, why are they a saints fan? Did they play for the Saints? Also, the same applies in europe where they don't have school based teams. Should only former players for that club be fan of the club? I don't get why just b/c it's a college team one would be required to have attended, or more strictly, graduated from a college to be a fan of theirs.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 2:43 pm to
This was in 2008 so your friend didnt live there then. I pulled up to my house and drunk/high blood red John goodman was standing in front of it over his wrecked Mercedes. That intersection right before the light is a doozy sober

EtTA: I'm not positive but I think his NOPD radio ads started shortly after this
This post was edited on 4/9/13 at 2:51 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 2:45 pm to
I'm not an LSU fan. Tulane will be lucky to put 30k in the new stadium but I think well do it
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 2:48 pm to
No because there isn't a university attached to the saints, which happens to be the main function of a school.

I'm not ragging on anyone, just tryin to figure out why. I still don't have an answer. I think it's fine if you grew up an LSU or bama football fan but if you didn't go to the school why does your fanaticism extend to other sports, say women's basketball. Can someone answer this?
Posted by Tiger1242
Member since Jul 2011
31899 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 2:56 pm to
Well I grew up in Baton Rouge, only applied to LSU, got in, and graduated from there. If your story isn't similar to mine you're not allowed to cheer for LSU
Posted by CrippleCreek
Member since Apr 2012
2345 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 3:18 pm to
quote:

I don't know if this has been asked or not, but how is this really any different than liking a pro team?

probably because it's not a pro team?

I don't think people that didn't attend the university aren't "true" fans, but the experience of a student and an alumnus is one that is different from what others get to experience, and it chaps some people's asses if you bring that up.

If you didn't go to LSU you may be the biggest LSU fan in the world, but your experience is most certainly affected by having been a student at the university.
Posted by Bmath
LA
Member since Aug 2010
18664 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 4:32 pm to
The easy answer is no, but I think there are distinctions.

To me a legit fan does more than just watch some of the games, brag when their team wins, or buys merchandise. A legit fan knows about some of the history of the program and its traditions.

Collegiate sports have been branded, and people like to feel a part of the popular brand. Thus bandwagon fans are not legit fans. Yet this image of brand superiority is a common denominator amongst all fans.

For me, graduating from LSU gives me an intimate relationship with the school, and it has helped to further my fandom. However, I'll admit that I am a fair weather LSU basketball fan, and I'm sure there are plenty of non alums that fill in as legit fans.

Finally, I think the reason why most people look down upon non alumni as fans is that they often associate them with the dregs of society that make Louisiana look bad while wearing an LSU hat from Walmart.
Posted by dltigers3
Collierville, TN
Member since Jun 2010
2127 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 5:11 pm to
Well, I grew up an LSU fan, applied to LSU and Memphis. Memphis offered me a full ride plus book stipend, so I went there.

I guess the deciding factor for me, is that I keep up with LSU sports closer, and if they played each other I would be in purple and Gold.

Higher Education should be a business decision, and anyone who chooses a college for the athletics is making a poor business decision (unless they are an athlete)
first pageprev pagePage 6 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram