re: .

Posted on 4/9/13 at 2:09 am to
Posted by GeauxWarTigers
Auburn
Member since Oct 2010
18046 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 2:09 am to
quote:

Connections through means other than attending/graduating.. father went there, mother went there, grew up going to games, watched them and admired a coach of theirs, son/daughter went there, family lives/works there, etc.

The list goes on and on and people have varying reasons. I don't believe there's a set list identifying "You can only be a true fan if you blah blah blah".

ETA: I'd say true fan hood is defined by how closely you keep up with your team, or university, participate in going to games/donating, and sticking with them through good seasons and bad.

Rig gets it.
Posted by chalmetteowl
Chalmette
Member since Jan 2008
47509 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 2:38 am to
just bc i go to UNO i have to root for a shitty team with 3 other people there?

okay i'll root for the chalmette kid pitching but once they take him out i don't care what happens
Posted by Mizzoufan26
Vacaville CA
Member since Sep 2012
17216 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 2:43 am to
quote:

I don't understand the attachment a person has to a school they didnt attend. I do want to understand.

You don't realize that people have regionally televised games that are constantly on for them through growing up? Through watching those games or even attending them wouldn't you become attached to them?

I have never attended St. Louis Rams university and yet I still enjoy watching them get beat often.
Posted by lynxcat
Member since Jan 2008
24134 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 3:18 am to
quote:

I grew up in Baton Rouge and lived there until I was 18. I went to an out-of-state college because I wanted to experience something different. Now I live in Nashville, but still watch 70% of LSU baseball games, 100% of the basketball games, and 100% of the football games (make 3-5 a year in person). I am a diehard LSU fan and I never went there. Does this not count in your view?

Basically the same...except I actually attend more LSU football games than almost any alumni. I live out of state and I made something like 6 games this past year.

I took summer school at LSU if that counts in some odd record keeping book

....summer school only reaffirmed my decision to receive my degree in a different academic institution.
Posted by AllBamaDoesIsWin
Member since Dec 2011
26725 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 4:21 am to
quote:

My instinct says yes

No. I've known a guy my whole life who is just as big a Bama fan as I am, but he didn't have the opportunities to go to Bama, does that mean he isn't a fan? Hell no.
Posted by UTVolCountry
Music City
Member since Jun 2008
2478 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 5:10 am to
No

I've never attended MTSU but I'm one of the biggest Blue Raider fans you'll find...been to almost every home football game since 2000, and been to many, many baseball and basketball games. I'm just as legit of a fan as anyone who attended or graduated from that school.
This post was edited on 4/9/13 at 5:12 am
Posted by UncleLester
West of the Mississippi
Member since Aug 2008
6585 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 5:11 am to
Here is how I see it and I have lost four friends on Facebook over this...

You can be a legit fan even though you didn't attend a single class on the campus. However, don't use the term "we" when talking about that team unless you are an alum or current student.
This post was edited on 4/9/13 at 5:14 am
Posted by emoney
Westerville, OH
Member since May 2010
8642 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 6:35 am to
I don't care if people use we, but I personally do not when talking about Ohio State. I really consider my fan ship with them the same way I do with all my pro teams. I know plenty of people that went to school there, even though I did not, and the school makes tons of money off of people like myself, so I am not bothered that I cheer for the school, and I don't think the school is bothered either.
Posted by Bestbank Tiger
Premium Member
Member since Jan 2005
70920 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 6:59 am to
quote:

Actually no, I swear I heard that at a pitch to get money for the school. 1 semester and you are an alum. Though its quite possible I misheard.

You're right, at least in Tulane's case. They consider anyone with 12 credits an alum. That's why they have the Student Alumni Association--there are a lot of current undergraduates who are already alumni.
Posted by lsutigers1992
Member since Mar 2006
25317 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:25 am to
I can understand non-alumni in Louisiana pulling for LSU. Same for Ohio State and other one-team state schools.

What I don't understand is an LSU grad pulling for Duke or Notre Dame or Michigan or whomever. Same for other places.
Posted by hiltacular
NYC
Member since Jan 2011
19667 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:28 am to
Most alumni take pride in both the athletics and school itself. People who didn't attend usually only care about the athletics. Both are fans just to a different extent.
Posted by CGSC Lobotomy
Member since Sep 2011
79992 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:34 am to
To answer the question: no, but with a caveat.

If you are not an alumnus, or did not spend the majority of your time in college at that school, you cannot do any of the following:

1. Claim to be an alumnus or graduate (example: Michelle Beadle claiming to be a Texas grad when she failed out after one semester and finished her degree at UTSA)

2. Talk any shite whatsoever about the academics of a rival school.
Posted by YankeeDoodle
Member since Mar 2013
524 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:48 am to
This rule makes it suck for all those people who were either too unfortunate or stupid to attend the school of their choice and had to settle for a lesser school.
Posted by Sophandros
Victoria Concordia Crescit
Member since Feb 2005
45218 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:52 am to
Only about 35% of Americans have a college degree. So are they the only ones who can be true fans of their school?

Let's apply this to pro sports. Are you only allowed to be a fan of a team where you live? Well frick, I've never lived in London so I guess I have to give up my Arsenal fandom.
Posted by BuckeyeFan87
Columbus
Member since Dec 2007
25239 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:55 am to
quote:

I don't understand the attachment a person has to a school they didnt attend. I do want to understand.

wait wut?

I was a huge Ohio State fan before I ever attended Ohio State and would have remained so if I never did. How do you feel any specific ties to a pro franchise unless you live in that specific city? Not like you ever played for them or were employed through the organization.
Posted by PuntBamaPunt
Member since Nov 2010
10070 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:57 am to
the univesrity i attended doesn't have a FB program.
Posted by CGSC Lobotomy
Member since Sep 2011
79992 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:57 am to
One of the officers I work with is a West Pointer from Austin who is a Texas football fan and a Duke basketball fan. He makes it very clear that he isn't a graduate of either and follows the rules I stated to the letter.
Posted by elprez00
Hammond, LA
Member since Sep 2011
29367 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 7:58 am to
quote:

I think if I were an LSU student/alum seeing a bunch of people show up on campus and get wasted and celebrate a school they didnt attend would be kind of perplexing to me.

I could understand this by someone that didn't go to a big school like LSU.

For me, its strange. My parents went to McNeese, I went to LSU, and my brother went to SLU. Neither my parents or my brother has any more than a passing interest in LSU athletics. Hell, the first time I finally got my parents to go to an LSU football game was when they played McNeese a couple of years ago. Being an alumnus, I dont consider myself more of a fan than Johnny Sidewalk, but I do feel I have more of a connection to the university than someone that didn't attend. I don't understand why anyone that doesn't have a LSU diploma on their wall would sing the Alma Mater.

On the subject of McNeese, they have one of the best fanbases in this state, if not the whole south. LSU sold more tickets to McNeese than they did to Ole Miss. I loved going to Cowboy football games as a kid.
Posted by htownjeep
Republic of Texas
Member since Jun 2005
7612 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:07 am to
quote:

Do you have to be an alumnus to be considered a legit fan of a college team?

So by your flawed reasoning we should boo and hiss all of the small children we see on game day because we went to school at LSU and they have not?

Growing up in Baton Rouge you become part of the culture and it's so easy to become a fan. Many people (like my family) moved to Baton Rouge when I was a young age. We ended up becoming fans and loving all of the sports programs and I eventually ended up going to LSU.

I think it's pretty ignorant to shun a huge chunk of population that want to support the program.

Do you feel the same way about pro teams? You have to live in Dallas to be a Cowboys fan, you must live in N.O. to be a Saints fan etc? If so, a lot people in BR better get to selling off their black and gold because you aren't allowed to be fans.
Posted by Tommy Patel
Member since Apr 2006
7558 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:07 am to
quote:

Do you have to be an alumnus to be considered a legit fan of a college team?

key word is legit

to qualify for certain perks might be necessary but to be FANatical about a specific team should never be limited by a quantifier, this will only lead to a symantics nightmare.

that being said, one could argue the merits of some of the fans that attend a university and behave like complete D-Bags compared to the Fan who grew up in the culture and state and really loves that team, who is more Legit?

who do you want to have season tickets next to?
This post was edited on 4/9/13 at 8:08 am
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram