Started By
re: .

Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:09 am to
Posted by tduecen
Member since Nov 2006
161244 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:09 am to
No being an alum doesn't make you a "better" or "real" fan... Especially since most schools athletic department is separate from the school a non-alum is giving roughly same with their ticket purchases, merchandise, fees, etc.
Posted by htownjeep
Republic of Texas
Member since Jun 2005
7612 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:10 am to
quote:

who do you want to have season tickets next to?

Good point. Also, when I was in school I knew quite a few people that attended but just weren't sports fans. However, I also had some friends that did not attend (started working out of high school etc) that were huge LSU fans. Who would be the bigger supporter of the sports program(s)?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:11 am to
But I'm curious about the school wide support on athletics. If it were just notre dame football or Arizona basketball it would make sense to me, but for alot of side walkers? It seems more about the school, which is weird because they didnt go there
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:12 am to
quote:

who do you want to have season tickets next to?

Don't care
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:15 am to
The saints are a pro team. You attend classes at a school and as a result of pride in said school you love all of their athletic teams. A pro team it's purely tribal warfare. In from x area so I love x
Posted by TigerJeff
the Emerald Coast
Member since Oct 2006
16356 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:21 am to
No, I don't think so. For many states, they don't have a pro team and so they follow the state school's team as "their" team. I think ppl who use the term "we" to discuss a team are a little pathetic, moreso if they are a parking lot alum, and, parking lot alums have a tendency to be more obnoxious and annoying ... I mean, do I really need a toothless inbred razzing me about the Crimson Tahd, when he/she didn't go to the school and in fact may have never set foot on campus?
Posted by YouthInAsia
Member since May 2008
623 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:21 am to
By looking at all the Miami trash (that obviously never attended the school) that come up to Tallahassee every other year, I'd say no; you can't hold fans up to that high a standard.
Posted by Tommy Patel
Member since Apr 2006
7558 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:22 am to
quote:

But I'm curious about the school wide support on athletics. If it were just notre dame football or Arizona basketball it would make sense to me, but for alot of side walkers? It seems more about the school, which is weird because they didnt go there

don't care
Posted by Bear Is Dead
Monroe
Member since Nov 2007
4696 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:22 am to
quote:

No being an alum doesn't make you a "better" or "real" fan..

I think the problem that alums have with non-alums is that the sidewalks jump ship at first glance. The LSU fan base is comprised of a big % that began their fandom of LSU at the beginning of the Saban era.
Posted by Bear Is Dead
Monroe
Member since Nov 2007
4696 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:23 am to
quote:

The saints are a pro team. You attend classes at a school and as a result of pride in said school you love all of their athletic teams. A pro team it's purely tribal warfare.

:kige:
Posted by Fight4LSU
Kenner
Member since Jul 2005
9754 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:24 am to
I guess I need to give up my season tickets and TAF donations. Then I can throw away all lsu clothing my family and I wear. All my collectables and signed jerseys and footballs, gone! Guess I'll ditch my thousands of dollars worth invested in tailgating equipment and find a new hobby. I'll just stay home and not go to Zypher field tonight.

All because I'm not an alumni of LSU! My son is gonna take this pretty hard because he loves Mike!
Posted by Bear Is Dead
Monroe
Member since Nov 2007
4696 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:25 am to
quote:

I guess I need to give up my season tickets and TAF donations. Then I can throw away all lsu clothing my family and I wear. All my collectables and signed jerseys and footballs, gone! Guess I'll ditch my thousands of dollars worth invested in tailgating equipment and find a new hobby.

And this is why alums roll their eyes at you.
Posted by quail man
New York, NY
Member since May 2010
40925 posts
has anyone brought up the fact that there are currently students at the school? can they not be legit fans?
Posted by TigerJeff
the Emerald Coast
Member since Oct 2006
16356 posts
That's a great point ... sort of like the folks who live in Alabama who fly either an Alabama or Auburn flag on their car, depending upon who had the better season.

Also, the sidewalks tend to have no clue about the real mission of the university -- to presumably educate students, and not field a football team, and take stupid positions with regard to prioritizing educational/academic versus athletic needs.
Posted by htownjeep
Republic of Texas
Member since Jun 2005
7612 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:26 am to
quote:

I guess I need to give up my season tickets and TAF donations. Then I can throw away all lsu clothing my family and I wear. All my collectables and signed jerseys and footballs, gone! Guess I'll ditch my thousands of dollars worth invested in tailgating equipment and find a new hobby. I'll just stay home and not go to Zypher field tonight.

All because I'm not an alumni of LSU! My son is gonna take this pretty hard because he loves Mike!

You are the poster child for my argument. You are more of a "legit" fan than many that actually attend the university that just simply aren't in to sports.
Posted by tduecen
Member since Nov 2006
161244 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:27 am to
quote:

I think the problem that alums have with non-alums is that the sidewalks jump ship at first glance. The LSU fan base is comprised of a big % that began their fandom of LSU at the beginning of the Saban era.

See I strongly disagree with this, if you are a real fan it doesn't matter if you went to the school or not your going to support them win or lose. Many alums only started supporting LSU when Saban got here and LSU started winning as well, it isn't just sidewalk fans.

Many people who go to LSU go because of convenience and I bet it is same way for a lot of schools, LSU is close to home and the state school so individuals flock there. Just like if you go to ULL, SELU, Tech, any school the majority of their student base will comprise of individuals who love in the area. Same with LSU majority of the students I would be willing to bet come from a 1 hour drive from campus.
Posted by Bear Is Dead
Monroe
Member since Nov 2007
4696 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:28 am to
quote:

Also, the sidewalks tend to have no clue about the real mission of the university

Sidewalks cant tell you a damn thing about the "school" part of the school. They are a very important part of a huge athletic department, thus being a big part of the school's success. However, they are not part of the "school".
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:28 am to
A little dramatic why do you love the school? Or is it only their foozball team.

BTW, people, I'm not insulting sidewalk fans. I should have worded the OP better. Just want to know why you are attached to the school instead of one particular athletic team.
Posted by elprez00
Hammond, LA
Member since Sep 2011
29367 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:29 am to
quote:

And most of the trolls on the Rant fit into this category.
Posted by Fight4LSU
Kenner
Member since Jul 2005
9754 posts
Posted on 4/9/13 at 8:29 am to
quote:

And this is why alums roll their eyes at you.

Let them roll, because I personally know a hand full of people that never attended a class there that have given back more to LSU than a large percentage of alumni wouldn't even bother with.

Tiger Stadium wouldn't seat 30,000 fans if it were for alumni only.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram