Posted by TeddyPadillac
Member since Dec 2010
25456 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:36 pm to
quote:

My opinion has vastly more and credible research behind it

Your opinion is credible? link something worthwhile if you want to say that

quote:

The flu only changes among a few common strains (which is why there are tri- and quadrivalent vaccines) and kills thousands every year in the US.

95% of which are elderly are already sick in someway.

The odds of a healthy person dying from the flu is no different than someone dying from an ulcer.
Posted by damnedoldtigah
Middle of Louisiana
Member since Jan 2014
4275 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:52 pm to
If you're over 50 you really need to get a flu shot annually. I have only had flu twice since doing the shots; simply different strain of flu than what the vaccine covered. However, this past winter, I did get the swine flu, which the shot was to cover - three real arse kicking weeks. When all was said and done, per my physician, the vaccine was probably the only reason I was still around as it still helped to lessen the symptoms. If you do get the flu, get a Tamiflu script as soon as possible. The earlier in the onset of symptoms you get the script, the better.
Posted by TheRoarRestoredInBR
Member since Dec 2004
30286 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 1:00 pm to
I've had three flu shots over the last twenty years. Two of them were the last two times I've ever had the flu in over twenty years, and it was a bad flu. I'm done with them, until maybe becoming really old and/or fragile.

I know Nurses and Doctors that don't take them, and swear against it..regardless of whether with or without Thimerosal in the particular shot.

Quit eating poorly and running down your immune system, eat better, sleep, hydrate, teach your body to fight for itself.

Dr Dohsi and LSU's very own grad Dr Russell Blaylock..

Johns Hopkins Study on Flu Shots
This post was edited on 10/24/14 at 1:17 pm
Posted by tiger91
In my own little world
Member since Nov 2005
36703 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 1:21 pm to
quote:

Again....it takes 2 WEEKS for the flushot to be able to protect you. So if your son got sick a few days after getting the shot....it wasn't from the shot

I know nurse ... I'm talking well after receiving the shot. He typically took it when athletes at school did (pretty much as soon as they were available) to help prevent flu during basketball/early baseball/early track seasons. The school always strongly encouraged it ...
Posted by Red Stick Tigress
Tiger Stadium
Member since Nov 2005
17846 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 2:48 pm to
Does your baby need the flu vaccine?
Yes. The flu can be dangerous for all children, even those who are healthy. About 2 in 5 children who die from flu complications don’t have other chronic health problems, like asthma, heart disease or diabetes.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend that everyone older than 6 months get the flu vaccine each year. It’s especially important for children younger than 5 to get the vaccine because they’re more likely than older kids to have serious health problems caused by the flu.

The 2014-2015 flu vaccine protects your baby against seasonal flu and the 2009 H1N1 flu (a kind of flu that spread around the world in 2009). It’s important to get your child vaccinated each year because flu viruses are always changing and protection from the vaccine only lasts about 1 year.

The flu vaccine is safe for most children. But check with your baby's provider if your child had the flu vaccine before and had a serious reaction to it. Your baby's provider may want to watch your baby closely after getting the vaccine to check for a reaction. If your child has an egg allergy, talk to his provider to decide if it’s OK for your child to get the flu vaccine.
Posted by LSUfootball222
Member since Oct 2009
1148 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 3:04 pm to
No. Millions of people get the shot every year yet the flu shot doesn't work. This poor never ceases to amaze me.

Get your damn flu shot.
Posted by Hopeful Doc
Member since Sep 2010
14942 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 3:07 pm to
quote:

teach your body to fight for itself.

Vaccination is literally the epitome of teaching your body how to fight for itself.
Posted by Kill Switch
Miamisburg, OH
Member since Sep 2010
2387 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 3:37 pm to
Never had a flu shot and have never had the flu. Don't intend on getting one either.
Posted by dantes69
Boise, Id.
Member since Aug 2011
2022 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 3:48 pm to
never had a flu shot and haven't had the flu in over 35 years
Posted by Red Stick Tigress
Tiger Stadium
Member since Nov 2005
17846 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 5:11 am to
quote:

never had a flu shot and haven't had the flu in over 35 years

There's a first time for everything.

I had "gatorebola" 2 weeks ago. I came back from the football game in Gainesville and got sick within 24 hours. Had 102 fever the first night and slightly under 100 for another day, day and a half. I had chills and was achy.

Don't know that I've ever had full-blown flu and I don't plan on getting it.

Flu is dangerous in the very young and very old.

I'm in the middle of the pack but I get a flu shot every year.

Better safe than sorry.
Posted by Mo Jeaux
Member since Aug 2008
58554 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 5:22 am to
quote:

TheRoarRestoredInBR

You're quoting the same doctor blalock that talks about chem trails and various other quack conspiracy theories. Please go push your "alternative health" bullshite somewhere else. I also always get a laugh at people like you who talk about "scientific studies" and yet provide links to quack websites that only talk about the so-called studies.
Posted by WDE24
Member since Oct 2010
54132 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 6:54 am to
quote:

Personal choice.
And a revelation of your ignorance, stubbornness and stupidity.

Personal opinion.

And fact.
Posted by euquol
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2012
2736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 7:06 am to
I have never received the flu shot and I have never had the flu. When I started at Loyola years back they made me get a TB shot before I could start classes. I know I did not get TB but I was the sickest I have ever been after that shot for 2 weeks.
Posted by skuter
P'ville
Member since Jan 2005
6143 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 7:30 am to
We have to get the shot or we are considered unemployed
Posted by Mo Jeaux
Member since Aug 2008
58554 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 7:39 am to
quote:

I have never received the flu shot and I have never had the flu.

Hope you don't. I used to be like you. I even considered the flu to be just a bad cold. Then, in my mid 20s I got the flu. After 6 days of not being Abe to even get off the couch (except to go to the bathroom, and that was an ordeal) I swore I would get the flu shot every year after that.
Posted by barry
Location, Location, Location
Member since Aug 2006
50337 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 8:17 am to
I've done a lot of research into this and the results are all over the place. CDC like to cherry pick studies for their website. The ironic part is the vaccine appears to be least effective for the people they recommend to get it, the very you and very old. Even the CDC admits this. From what I have read, their is no good reason to get a flu shot as a healthy adult.

Obviously my opinion is only for flu vaccines, don't be a dumbass, vaccine your kid against polio and shite
This post was edited on 10/25/14 at 8:19 am
Posted by Winkface
Member since Jul 2010
34377 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 8:22 am to
Curious, where are you researching?
Posted by Walt OReilly
Poplarville, MS
Member since Oct 2005
124302 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 8:23 am to
Been probably a decade since I've gotten a flu shot

My mom gets on to me every year to go get one but I just don't thing they're necessary
Posted by barry
Member since Aug 2006
50337 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 8:29 am to
quote:

Winkface Curious, where are you researching?

Google scholar, which searches research papers and my friend who is a research scientist at a university sends me stuff.

Posted by barry
Member since Aug 2006
50337 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 8:30 am to
Go to the CDC website. They say stuff like ONE study showed this and One study showed that
first pageprev pagePage 5 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram