quote:

Katrina
Posted by Pettifogger
Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone
Member since Feb 2012
79272 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:04 pm to
quote:

I agree with that about Austin. And while I haven't been to Dallas very much, I have the opinion that Houston and Dallas are more similar than each's residents would like to admit.

Dallas is a different breed of Texan. If you get past the obnoxious exterior they do have good conservative folks, but it's easily the least "Texan" major city in Texas. All of the glitz, none of the substance.
Posted by MisterSenator
Member since Aug 2013
1285 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:41 pm to
quote:

Katrina

Houston's Fifth Ward is NEW- New Orleans: all the crime, without the fun and festivities
Posted by TigerWise
Front Seat of an Uber
Member since Sep 2010
35113 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:44 pm to
quote:

quote: Katrina Houston's Fifth Ward is NEW- New Orleans: all the crime, without the fun and festivities

Houston has much more people from their neighbor to the south than the neighbor on the east. The entire NO population could move to Houston and it would just be a drop in the bucket
Posted by cjk5h
TX
Member since Oct 2013
287 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:44 pm to
Crime per a capita is almost identical between Houston and Dallas.
Posted by MisterSenator
Member since Aug 2013
1285 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:46 pm to
quote:

Houston has much more people from their neighbor to the south

FIFTH WARD

big difference than "all of Houston" there, slick
Posted by MisterSenator
Member since Aug 2013
1285 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:47 pm to
and just for the record, crime has been going up and out of downtown and starting to infest its way into the burbs

more and more stuff like this is becoming more and more increasingly common
Posted by MillerMan
West U, Houston, TX
Member since Aug 2010
6512 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:49 pm to
The Cypress area has gone to shite
Posted by TigerWise
Front Seat of an Uber
Member since Sep 2010
35113 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:50 pm to
quote:

big difference than "all of Houston" there, slick

Oh my bad. I forgot how nice of an area the 5th ward was pre august 2005 slick.
Posted by TigerWise
Front Seat of an Uber
Member since Sep 2010
35113 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:53 pm to
quote:

and just for the record, crime has been going up and out of downtown and starting to infest its way into the burbs

Like I mentioned earlier. Reverse white flight.
Posted by htownjeep
Republic of Texas
Member since Jun 2005
7612 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:55 pm to
quote:

starting to infest its way into the burbs

I know! Why, just a few months ago some teenagers spray painted the space shuttle across the street from me. Contemplating a for sale sign in the yard.
Posted by MisterSenator
Member since Aug 2013
1285 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:56 pm to
quote:

The Cypress area has gone to shite

friend asked me where a good place in NW Houston was to live... I told him out of Harris CO. all together. Everything up to the outlet mall is going down hill fast
Posted by MisterSenator
Member since Aug 2013
1285 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 3:57 pm to
quote:

I forgot how nice of an area the 5th ward was pre august 2005 slick.

Not saying this is the problem in its entirety, or even mostly, but you'd be surprised how many inner-city folk hail from NOLA
Posted by NameWithheld
Houston, TX
Member since Feb 2011
2092 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 4:12 pm to
quote:

I told him out of Harris CO. all together. Everything up to the outlet mall is going down hill fast

This is part of the effect I was talking about in what I posted. When you have one city covering such a large area and a county sheriff's office covering what the city has left out/doesn't patrol, you end up with suburbs susceptible to crime waves that are focused on neighborhoods where it is easy to get away with it. Those crimes get progressively worse and the smaller crimes spread out and so forth. It's not until there is some focused effort to increase public services (in this case police) that anything has a chance of turning around. Some neighborhoods will set up formal or informal organizations to address it, but the surrounding neighborhoods/commercial areas still go to crap most of the time.

Unfortunately, this costs money and the trend is rather than pay for services to just keep moving further and further out.

In the Dallas area, you have full fledged police departments that back up to each other. Most often these cities are land-locked and the area being patrolled is pre-defined. That is why cities such as Frisco, Plano, etc. have it much easier that the outskirts of Houston and/or the unincorporated areas of Harris County.
This post was edited on 2/5/14 at 4:14 pm
Posted by Geraldo Rivera
Austin
Member since Aug 2011
335 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 4:47 pm to
Dallas has a ton of crime and poverty.
Posted by PelicanPoop
New Orleans
Member since Oct 2013
583 posts
Posted on 2/5/14 at 4:59 pm to
Interesting take on the outskirt police being stronger in Dallas suburbs than houston because they have defined areas and smaller municipal police departments.

A shitload of New Orleans neighborhoods voted for private security details in last Saturday's elections. This sounds similar to the incorporated suburbs having their own PD's, but in NOLA these private security details have far less teeth than actual ones.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 3Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram