Posted on 4/21/17 at 3:44 pm to
Posted by RollTide1987
Augusta, GA
Member since Nov 2009
65147 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 3:44 pm to
quote:

Letterman didn't grow his numbers and beat Conan though. Conan just bombed

He bombed so badly that Letterman re-runs were beating new Tonight Show episodes over the summer. And that was BEFORE Leno's variety show started up in the Fall of that year.

Posted by 3nOut
Central Texas, TX
Member since Jan 2013
28963 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 4:08 pm to
quote:

which is the mark of extreme stupidity. I really go out of my way to not call anyone stupid, retarded, etc. unless they just say something profoundly stupid.

one time on SECr i said, "Austin is an fun city with a lot of cool things going on. My main complaint is traffic and the people are a bit pretentious."

he then spent 2 pages of a thread trying to convince me i just don't understand Austin and i'm not cool or smart enough to understand why Austin people aren't pretentious.
This post was edited on 4/21/17 at 4:10 pm
Posted by mizzoubuckeyeiowa
Member since Nov 2015
35573 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 4:21 pm to
quote:

He bombed so badly that Letterman re-runs were beating new Tonight Show episodes over the summer. And that was BEFORE Leno's variety show started up in the Fall of that year.

Conan was always a nod and a wink...as David Letterman started out on Late Late night. The subversive "is this guy funny or not?" not ready for prime-time player.

Everyone thought Letterman's shtick wasn't mainstream enough - he was too late late night and college crowd guy.

One of the main reasons he got passed over for Leno.

Dave then became mainstream boring and got the CBS deal.

Conan...always had a small audience...he was a late late...do whatever. Leno became apple pie and Mayberry to the masses...Vanilla latte and a gluten-free scone.

Plus, Conan just hit at a really bad time. Unpluggers and late night shows becoming unpopular as a relic of 3 channels.

I mean who gives a shite? People have been turned off by celebs and Hollywood and nobody wants to see some old 1960's variety talk show with over-inflated egos of celebs who are going to lecture us.

People have Hulu and Netflix and HBO...who the frick is watching late night TV on a dinosaur network?
Posted by crazycubes
Member since Jan 2016
5256 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 7:16 pm to
quote:

still mind blowing. conan would've gone to fox though, right?
im not sure what network was after Conan, maybe it was fox? Anywho, I keep Jay Leno in that situation.
Posted by vtdad
WV side of Bluefield,WV
Member since Dec 2009
1000 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 7:30 pm to
I remember when Steve Allen hosted the Tonight Show.
Posted by LoneMDG
Birmingham
Member since Nov 2009
2748 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 7:49 pm to
Couple things I'll add:

I did read the book on the situation.

A major reason Conan took the buyout, was for his staff. Note that he and the staff had just picked up and moved to LA from NYC less than a year prior. a lot of people moved away from family. It's why some of the mainstay writers left (Stack, McCann)

Conan's tonight show wasn't outright cancelled. Leno's variety show was. NBC's first idea was to give the first 30 minutes of the Tonight Show to Leno (Monologue and 1 guest) then let Conan's tonight show on afterwards. Conan wouldn't back down (the "Tomorrow Tonight show" as it would start at 12:05 AM EST) and NBC wouldn't back down, and they paid out Conan's contract.

I also would never say "viewership = Quality" or else TBBT and Empire are the best shows on TV.
This post was edited on 4/21/17 at 7:50 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 8:26 pm to
Viewership doesn't equal quality

Awesome shows get canceled but Conan was given an audience and lost them...that's how you're judged.
Posted by supatigah
CEO of the Keith Hernandez Fan Club
Member since Mar 2004
87482 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 10:57 pm to
Leno was more mainstream and broad appeal, he feasted on the best bookings because he was inoffensive and anchored in LA

Conan's "I can't believe they gave a goofy guy like me a talk show" was too polarizing at 10:30, mainstream America didn't get the joke

Letterman prided himself on doing the edgy "anti-mainstream" talk show at NBC. That would have been a disaster on TTS. He went more mainstream at CBS and lost his edge

Fallon is custom built for Facebook and YouTube clip viewing, while Colbert just expanded his Comedy Central show schtick and is living on the anti-Trump crowd. So is Seth Meyers. He is doing a Weekend Update show with a celebrity guest in the middle

The only guy doing a broad semblance of the old Tonight Show is Kimmel but the audiences are so fragmented no one will ever see ratings like Carson enjoyed. We are just in a different time now
Posted by vandelay industries
CSRA
Member since May 2012
2477 posts
Posted on 4/21/17 at 11:40 pm to
I can't lay that on Conan, though. Many local NBC affiliates took a big ratings hit with their local news broadcasts b/c of people bailing on Leno's show, so it's not unreasonable to say Conan felt the damage too...
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/22/17 at 12:11 am to
Leno bombed in prime time but it was always a ratings pit.

He gets some blame sure but lead in or not, Conan tanked. When you lose half the audience it's on you. Leno went back to 11:30 even with all the negative press and then was #1 again.

Conan had difficult circumstances. He got screwed but the lead in card doesn't fly. jay is his scapegoat so he doesn't have to admit he bombed. It's got to hurt and be publicly humiliating but if you're going to push out a guy on top in the ratings expect pressure.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37363 posts
Posted on 4/22/17 at 12:20 am to
quote:

You know I don't usually like to make sweeping generalizations about people based one 1 thing, but if someone is Team Leno that pretty much tells me all I need to know about them.

Posted by Darkknight
Member since Mar 2012
1415 posts
Posted on 4/22/17 at 12:44 am to
Yea. We get it. After 2 days of harping on this topic, we get it. Letterman got screwed, became complacent. Don't blame Leno. Conan is OK. Not great, but OK. Don't blame Leno. NBC is the bad guy. Don't blame Leno. No one will ever be as great as Carson. Don't blame Leno. Leno got a shite load of money. Don't blame Leno.

Message Received.
Posted by John McClane
Member since Apr 2010
36697 posts
Posted on 4/22/17 at 12:46 am to
Stop blaming Leno, man
Posted by Darkknight
Member since Mar 2012
1415 posts
Posted on 4/22/17 at 12:58 am to
DBL
first pageprev pagePage 6 of 6Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram