re: .

Posted on 2/24/15 at 1:34 pm to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 1:34 pm to
quote:

All the stuff about trying to get the Academy to vote or nominate different films I disagree with. I don't like all the choices but I wouldn't like it if they made it in to the People's Choice Awards either.
I get not wanting transformers or some shite like that, but in an effort to keep that out, they leave out a lot of deserving and awesome movies over the years.
Posted by broeho
Atlanta, Ga
Member since Jan 2013
1815 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 1:39 pm to
quote:

I have no problem with sophisticated films, but having this silly criteria that only "serious" films be recognized excludes so many awesome movies, and great movies, because they didn't "measure up"

totally agreed.

I tend to like critically acclaimed, well written movies that the academy loves.

But when it comes to comedies, I love harold and kumar, not another teen movie, walk hard, etc. Those kind of movies are basically universally loved by their audiences and yet they never get any love or recognition in awards shows.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 1:43 pm to
I love reading Empire's rankings of movies, villains, etc.

they "get" movies

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 1:48 pm to
quote:

critically acclaimed
that's the other thing, the movies I'm talking about that have been excluded...a lot of them were critically acclaimed

almost all of the negative reviews for say, TDK (which who in their right mind thinks slumdog millionaire is a better movie than TDK?)are due to the fact it didn't stay grounded in the black and white, campy comic book origins (even though batman has a pretty dark fricking history) so some disliked it for daring to be more

still, a critically acclaimed movie. Benjamin Button was a really good movie (top 3 that year for sure)...it wasn't better than TDK

certainly no movie that year had better editing...but it's batman, so frick off wal mart shoppers. we're trying to keep this thing a little more cosmopolitan.
Posted by magildachunks
Member since Oct 2006
32482 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 1:56 pm to
quote:

actually quite the detriment to your argument that a movie with booger and fart jokes will stand the test of time, will be more loved, more watched, than any of the movies that were nominated for best picture in 2015

Wrong.

The Friday the 13th movies have stood the test of time. Are you trying to say they are better movies, or even well made movies, than the nominees of 2015?

Posted by DallasTiger11
Los Angeles
Member since Mar 2004
11808 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:01 pm to
You do know that last year the ratings were huge right? This isn't some disturbing trend.
quote:

The majority of your television audience hates these fricking movies because they know why they were made to begin with.

That's because the majority of the television audience is fricking retarded. Sorry, but the Academy is never going to vote for movies because they are popular. It's just never happening so accept it.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:04 pm to
no, those movies have left us with an archetype, a charicature.

none of those movies have stood the test of time, other than the first movie, what is memorable about them?

big man, hockey mask, machete

there's a new car commercial about how stupid horror movie characters are, and the chainsaw wielding maniac is wearing...a hockey mask

the lasting thing from 50,000 movies is a god damn hockey mask. Not to diminish because that has contributed more to our popular culture than a shitload of best picture nominees

speaking of horror movies, do you think there is any way the exorcist would get a nomination today?
Posted by Baloo
Formerly MDGeaux
Member since Sep 2003
49645 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:07 pm to
And honestly, Dumb and Dumber hasn't stood the test of time. I mean, it's got some great pull quotes, but have you actually sat down and WATCHED it recently? It's horribly paced and the five jokes you remember are about the only laughs in the movie.

A local radio station here did a rewatch of the movie before the new one came out to do a review. and they all came back saying how they couldn't believe how awful it was.

And as much as I love Harold and Kumar, it was a pretty niche film. It might be univerally beloved amongst your friends, but it does not have the cross-cultural appeal you think it does. If we're going to have niche films, I'd rather they have that niche be "prestige filmmaking".

But again, American Sniper, Interstellar, and Gone Girl all grossed over $100 million and are the kinds of movie Oscar honors. they probably should have nominated those movies which checked both boxes: crtically acclaimed AND made a bunch of money.

Oh, and editing is filmmaking. It is one of the most prestigious awards, right next to cinematography. It's also a travesty Boyhood didn't win that. They took 12 years of footage and made it a coherent narrative. That, I thought, was the lock of the night.
Posted by broeho
Atlanta, Ga
Member since Jan 2013
1815 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:07 pm to
quote:

which who in their right mind thinks slumdog millionaire is a better movie than TDK?

honestly, a lot of people.

I loved slumdog millionaire. I also loved TDK trilogy. I'm really not sure which I like more. Still, TDK should have been up for best picture.

As for the other movies nominated that year:

-Benjamin Button was good, and different.

-Frost/Nixon was okay... and boring (to me).

-I didn't see Milk (cause I fricking hate Sean Penn), so I don't want to say too much. But it has the whole gay rights thing going in it's favor.

-I've never heard of "The Reader"

TDK definitely should have been a nominee (at least) and I wouldn't have had a problem if it won best picture.

I think they added more movies to the nominees list after that year because so many people thought TDK got snubbed.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:09 pm to
quote:

You do know that last year the ratings were huge right

quote:

That's because the majority of the television audience is fricking retarded
which is it?

people aren't dumb, collectively we've decided that dumb and dumber is infinitely more memorable and enjoyable than "doubt"

you don't think it's odd that nominated movies have a "season" what does that tell you?

the movies are made to win awards, not to tell the best story.

even dumb people know a good story when they hear (in this case see) one. And whether or not they can articulate or realize it, they respond to great execution and production values (movie magic? is that not a thing anymore?)

maybe movies like doubt are full of great performances wasted on a plot no one gives a shite about, wasted on characters that aren't interesting, memorable or even well defined.

This post was edited on 2/24/15 at 2:10 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:15 pm to
quote:

And as much as I love Harold and Kumar, it was a pretty niche film. It might be univerally beloved amongst your friends
I have never seen this movie

quote:

And honestly, Dumb and Dumber hasn't stood the test of time.
so that's why they made a sequel 20 years later? riiiight

quote:

But again, American Sniper, Interstellar, and Gone Girl all grossed over $100 million and are the kinds of movie Oscar honors. they probably should have nominated those movies which checked both boxes: crtically acclaimed AND made a bunch of money.

I'm not even saying the AA are nothing but shitty movies. There are obviously great movies in the field.

If I took a list of movies that was nominated for at most 2 AA, but not in the following fields
best picture
best actor
best actress
best director

I could come up with a list of 20 movies that would shame a list with the last 20 winners for

best picture
best actor
best actress
best director

they leave out a ton of great movies and for the most petty, laughable reasons.

I'm telling you, people are going to become less and less interested in these award shows...especially as celebrities have exploded beyond the bounds of "Hollywood", as the stories told in video games become more and more sophisticated, and as cable continues to produce higher quality programming.

I would imagine just as many people tuned in to see the celebrities as they did the actual awards

This post was edited on 2/24/15 at 2:17 pm
Posted by magildachunks
Member since Oct 2006
32482 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:21 pm to
quote:

so that's why they made a sequel 20 years later? riiiight

I don't know a single person who has seen it.

Posted by tirebiter
7K R&G chile land aka SF
Member since Oct 2006
9203 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:22 pm to
I greatly dislike sitting through the Oscars, but the wife digs it. Is there really a need to present so many musical/vocal performances during a movie awards show? Who watches all the short films and why do they eat up so much time to present?

Got nothing to add other than Eddie Redmayne was deserving of his Oscar, greatly enjoyed that movie and his performance. Birdman and Budapest I thought were good, but not to the extent many believe, my wife quit watching in the middle of both of those. Neither one of us thought Boyhood was anything special and Patricia Arquette??? She loved American Sniper, I haven't seen it. Definitely want to watch "Being Alice" due to family history.

John Legend needs to review current/past population counts if he wants to say what he did, his message was close to meaningless in that light.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:24 pm to
quote:

I don't know a single person who has seen it
and I don't know a single person who hasn't seen the original
Posted by Baloo
Formerly MDGeaux
Member since Sep 2003
49645 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:27 pm to
quote:

people aren't dumb, collectively we've decided that dumb and dumber is infinitely more memorable and enjoyable than "doubt"

Well, that's a point they are dumb. Doubt is a fricking fantastic movie and I recommend you watch it. It also didn't win any Oscars, so I'm not sure why you're holding it up as this grand mistake. It got nominated for a bunch of acting awards, and it had some great actors doing some of their best work.

quote:

you don't think it's odd that nominated movies have a "season" what does that tell you?

It tells me the awards are political. There's also a season for blockbusters and a season for dumping your worst movies for a loss.

I'd also point out Boyhood was released in January, as far from "award season" as you can get. Birdman was released in August, right at the tail end of blockbuster season. So, the two most acclaimed films of the year... neither came out during "award season"

quote:

Completely no true. I'm not saying there aren't movies made with the thought of winning awards, but you really can't accuse the frontrunners this year of that, yet we had our lowest ratings. Perhaps we could have used MORE films designed to win awards, as they might have drawn in viewers.

quote:

ven dumb people know a good story when they hear (in this case see) one. And whether or not they can articulate or realize it, they respond to great execution and production values

Sure. Are you saying audiences did not respond to the winning films? Even though they didn't bring in the same amount of money as films aimed at teenagers and their repeat business and less than discerning taste, they all had very high audience approval scores, indicating audience satisfaction when they did watch the film.

quote:

maybe movies like doubt are full of great performances wasted on a plot no one gives a shite about, wasted on characters that aren't interesting, memorable or even well defined.

Again, not sure why you're using a movie than won zero Oscars as your exemplar, but Doubt really did have fantastic performances in service as an interesting plot. I had a good hour-long conversation with the friend I saw the movie with, as we argued about the final scene's meaning.

While not really relevant, Doubt is an outstanding movie. It might not be visually pleasing enough (it's a lot of static two shots, showing off that this was a stage play), but it is a gut wrenching film. Viola Davis totally SHOULD have won an Oscar for her single scene. It's the best single scene performance I've seen outside of Alec Baldwin in Glengary Glen Ross. It's that good.
Posted by molsusports
Member since Jul 2004
36110 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:28 pm to
quote:

Movies are entertainment to us, not the public face of some cultural movement.

generally speaking I agree. if the focus of your movie was something related to human rights etc of course that would be different but the actors, directors, etc would be well served if they remembered they are in a service industry that revolves around entertainment rather than morality.

a heaping spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down as well on the occasions that human rights etc are raised as major issues.
Posted by DallasTiger11
Los Angeles
Member since Mar 2004
11808 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:36 pm to
quote:

You have no clue what you're talking about. There is not a single writer worth a damn in Hollywood that starts the script saying to themselves "I'm only writing this to win an Oscar. frick telling a good story."

Movies actually aren't positioned for Oscar season until very late in the process when the studios and producers realize that they have an awards caliber picture on their hands.
Posted by RollTide1987
Augusta, GA
Member since Nov 2009
65051 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:42 pm to
quote:

he most likely wouldn't have, and he most definitely wouldn't have won it

Yes, he would have. Critics were raving about his performance. Who else would have won that year?

The other nominees were:

Josh Brolin, Milk
Robert Downey, Jr., Tropic Thunder
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road

That is a weak list of nominees. And Ledger won every precursor under the sun (critic circles, BFCA, Golden Globe, SAG, BAFTA, etc.). He would have won the Oscar had he been alive or dead. And it's not like this was the first time someone had been nominated for their performance in a comic book movie. Al Pacino was nominated for Dick Tracy and Paul Newman was nominated for Road to Perdition.
Posted by Baloo
Formerly MDGeaux
Member since Sep 2003
49645 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:43 pm to
quote:

I could come up with a list of 20 movies that would shame a list with the last 20 winners for

Well, if the movies you keep bringing up are any indication, I'd welcome your shame and approbation. I'm arguing that the Oscars should include critically acclaimed stuff that made no money, box office favorites that were also good movies, and critically acclaimed stuff that grossed over $100 million. Essentially, I'm trying to argue that there's a big enough tent for everyone.

Your argument, I believe, is that the Oscars should honor films you like, which runs towards mediocre big budget summer blockbusters. That's a horrible idea. It would render the awards meaningless. Though I do think you can honor great films while also considering public tastes. I think popular films with critical support tend to stand the test of time (your Raiders of the Lost Ark and such).

But I think it's ridiculous you're stumping for Batman when it ACTUALLY WAS NOMINATED. It WAS honored. So what's your complaint? You wanted it honored more? Man, fanboys are impossible to please.
Posted by davesdawgs
Georgia - Class of '75
Member since Oct 2008
20307 posts
Posted on 2/24/15 at 2:46 pm to
quote:

1. Drop the SJW, leftist political nonsense. There's nothing brave or memorable about you delivering an opinion to a room full of people who agree with you. It annoys the piss out of the majority of your TV audience.

This is the #1 reason I don't watch the Academy Awards Show and are not interested in many of the movies they tout as Oscar worthy.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 6Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram