re: .

Posted on 3/5/13 at 10:56 am to
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
423392 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 10:56 am to
quote:

and Lucas trying to prove that he could direct and make a more epic picture without the help of some of the ppl from Empire.

quote:

Directed by Richard Marquand

quote:

Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas

lucas didn't write nor direct this movie. kasdan also wrote ESB
Posted by Baloo
Formerly MDGeaux
Member since Sep 2003
49645 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:02 am to
We're gonan talk how bad ROTJ is and not mention the dance sequence?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:03 am to
I remember George Lucas saying that he personally rewrote the script. Anyway, Kasdan's cowriter on empire died and it's pretty clear that Lucas was much more involved in this one. During empire, he was on the set for one day and he stayed out of Kershner's way. Lucas was on set and around for almost every part of this produciton. He also fired Gary Kurtz who helped channel his ideas. Kurtz is for all intents and purposes the co-creator of star wars. Without him, the first movie is an epic failure and nobody even knows who the frick george lucas is...
Posted by McRebel42
North Mississippi Hollywood
Member since Oct 2012
11606 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:05 am to
Ok well I agree to disagree with you on this ... carry on.

Oh and the force does exist ...

Posted by TDTGodfather
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2007
6169 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:06 am to
quote:

Why is Boba Fett in the palace? I thought he was a bounty hunter who would be out picking up contracts and/or capturing/killing targets, but instead he seems to be acting as Jabba's own bodygaurd. fricking lame. To top it off they take the mystique off of the most mysterious, bad arse bounty hunter in the galaxy by having him die as gag. I think the sarlaac pit even burps...ugh

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't boba fett trying to collect a bounty from jabba? doesn't he say in "empire": "He's no good to me dead" to Vader and Vader says he will compensate BF if solo doesn't survive the carbonite freezing?

basically i think he's "hanging around" b/c jabba won't pay him until after he's unfrozen.

but you're totally right on his death. Fett had a terrible death that was very hacky.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:06 am to
quote:

you can go back and do a RLR-type analysis of the original 3 movies and destroy them

not really anything beyond what Family guy did with them. Just a nitpick here and there. The only glaring thing in empire is when they first walk into cloud city and 3po is not behind them then they cut to the next scene and he is there.

also, fleeing hoth, but like i said, family guy covered that one in about 2 seconds and it's not really that important.
Posted by blueboy
Member since Apr 2006
56470 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:09 am to
You mean the geniuses who thought up "scruffy nerf herder" were usurped by the guy who thought all of this shite up to begin with? Say it isn't so, man!

And then she said "I'd rather kiss a wookie" and he was all "I can arrange that."
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:09 am to
no, in fact jabba says that the frozen han is his favorite decoration. Another good point though, how would jabba know if boba fett is ripping him off. He couldve just got some guy who looks kind of similar, but anyway. I think it's pretty clear watching this movie as an adult that it's not really that good.
Posted by RollTide1987
Augusta, GA
Member since Nov 2009
65147 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:11 am to
quote:

The music sucks

Disagree.

LINK

00:00-2:00 is some of the best work Williams did on the original trilogy.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:18 am to
the imperial march is his best work in the series in most people's opinion, but yeah that's a good piece

maybe it's overshadowed by numerous numbers like this

Yub Nub

don't make me say the words "max reebo" out loud.
Posted by TDTGodfather
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2007
6169 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:24 am to
quote:

no, in fact jabba says that the frozen han is his favorite decoration. Another good point though, how would jabba know if boba fett is ripping him off. He couldve just got some guy who looks kind of similar, but anyway. I think it's pretty clear watching this movie as an adult that it's not really that good.

well that's why i said "Correct me if i'm wrong" b/c i haven't seen Jedi all the way through since the 90's.
Posted by Ace Midnight
Between sanity and madness
Member since Dec 2006
89620 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:26 am to
quote:

actually i enjoyed this movie every time as a kid, now it just kind of sucks. I haven't seen it in 10 years until last night. I found myself wanting to shut it off or skip to the throne room scenes.

Seriously - the problem is the comparison with A New Hope and Empire.

To use another analogy I'm fond of - Jedi is practically Citizen Kane, compared to Godfather III.

Those 2 series, in particular, are the Gold Stadanrds for great first 2 chapters, then a dramatic let down.

With Rocky - the dip to III was much more gentle (and I'd heard a number of people who really liked III and even more who liked IV).

With Matrix, it's unwatchable after the first film. Back to the Future - the second and third installments were about equal and both pretty good. With Indy, once again, the 2nd chapter probably has a dip (many disagree with that), but the third (and thankfully final chapter) Indy film was excellent.
This post was edited on 3/5/13 at 11:27 am
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:34 am to
Before last night i would have agreed with everything you just wrote, but i was pretty shocked at how much this movie sucked. I guess sub conciously that is why i haven't watched it in 10+ years. And i watched the original cut, it's probably worse with the special edition. Following empire doesn't make this movie seem bad. Following empire makes this film seem somewhat decent when in fact it's complete shite. It's like bania following jerry and getting his laughs.

oh, and temple of doom is the tits
This post was edited on 3/5/13 at 11:46 am
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:51 am to
Droids
Why in gods name does han, leia and luke bring r2 and c3po to endor. In star wars they're unintentionally along for the ride and they serve a purpose. In empire, once again they're possessions that are packed up when escaping hoth. Kershner finds some pretty good ways to make them accessible to us and humanize them. He makes them useful but not in a cheap way. But in Jedi, they're just there, doing stupid things and the plot seems as if it was written to accomodate them.

Vader Doesn't Kill Anyone
So at this point in 1983, vader is really popular. Lucas realizing this, has to make him a good guy because everyone who is popular must be a babyface. It's almost like professional wrestling. After two movies of being an awful, murderous henchman, he now is transformed into some sort of tragedy and the emperor takes his place as the purely evil character. Why cant they both just be two really evil dudes? To make his redemption more believable Lucas doesn't have him kill or hurt anyone (other than the emperor) You just know watching the opening scene that moff jerjerkjdlsdfjlk is hurting for a choking. I wasn't really surprised to find out that a scene of vader choking moff jerjerklsdj; was cut from the movie. At least they delayed introducing him as the chosen one and allowing the trilogy to end on a somewhat respectable note.
Posted by Scruffy
Kansas City
Member since Jul 2011
72193 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:57 am to
quote:

Return of the Jedi is a pretty sub par movie.
Completely 100% agree.

RotJ is the weakest of the OT.

And Ewoks are the worst creation in any movie...EVER. Once I realized that they were originally supposed to be wookies, it only made me hate them even more.

Seriously Lucas? fricking teddy bears take out an elite troop of imperial soldiers? Yea, alright. Argo frick yourself.

I also despise the fact that they showed Vader's burnt up face in the end.

The addition of the stupid dance scene in the new release was also dumb.

It really is a VERY weak movie.

Empire Strikes Back for the motherfricking win.
Posted by RollTide1987
Augusta, GA
Member since Nov 2009
65147 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 11:59 am to
quote:

maybe it's overshadowed by numerous numbers like this

Yeah...that wasn't one of his best compositions. I don't know why so many so-called "purists" prefer the original ending composition to the one in the special edition.

Victory/End Titles
This post was edited on 3/5/13 at 12:00 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 12:03 pm to
Like I said, I hate the special editions with the exception of Jedi. The music and sfx needed an overhaul and the stupid musical scene that was added fits with the film and is only there to cover up an equally stupid musical number. Get back to work George, you've got alot of work to do with this one.
Posted by Patrick O Rly
y u do dis?
Member since Aug 2011
41187 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 12:04 pm to
I don't care bout none of that. Speeder bikes bitches.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 12:05 pm to
It did make for a great experience on Super Nintendo
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 3/5/13 at 12:07 pm to
quote:

I also despise the fact that they showed Vader's burnt up face in the end.

I didn't know how to feel about this. As a kid you cannot wait and even then it's disappointing. I don't know what to think now
This post was edited on 3/5/13 at 12:10 pm
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram